looking for copperheads

Beeman

Hello all im trying to locate a good place to find copperheads.
i do reptile presentations during the spring & summer and my old collecting area for these critters got bulldozed and turned into a housing development... :(

if you can help me out shoot an email to buzzzworm@yahoo.com

i do reptile presentations during the spring & summer and my old collecting area for these critters got bulldozed and turned into a housing development... :(

Are you licensed to possess wild animals in MD?

Clem_Shady

I've heard from a relative that Forrest Farm in Hollywood has a lot of them.

He had one snuggled up against his garage door.

:popcorn:

n0n1m0us3

why so serious

I live in the Ranch Club in Lusby and have found 2 copperheads (though not this year)'. I'm sure you could find them here (in the Ranch Club) but it is private property. Good luck and try not to get bit lol

Roxie04

I hope you have some type of permit or license to have wild and poisonous snakes in your possession.............

Beeman

I hope you have some type of permit or license to have wild and poisonous snakes in your possession.............

My apologies everyone!
I did educational programs for the Salisbury Zoo before leaving for the military and am getting back into it now that im back.
Back before i joined the military you did not need a permit to keep copperheads unless you were keeping more then 4 of them.
and i didnt realize that has changed...
The permit shouldnt be an issue since ill be going through the zoo...
We'll see though...
you know how things get when the states involved...
nothing like jumping through flaming hoops & red tape :)

My apologies everyone!
I did educational programs for the Salisbury Zoo before leaving for the military and am getting back into it now that im back.
Back before i joined the military you did not need a permit to keep copperheads unless you were keeping more then 4 of them.
We'll see though...
Gotta love red tape. If I see any, I will let you know. Had a big fat one get squished on the road in front of my house last year (pics on here somewhere).

NatureCenter

My apologies everyone!
We'll see though...

The law changed just the other year and word really hasn't gotten out unless you were someone who already had RAP permits. DNR essentially was trying to close a loop hole in their wildlife laws that conflicted with another state law and the only option they really had to was to essentially move copperheads from List A to List C and in a round-about-way say they are now an endangered species even though they really aren't. Anyone who owned copperheads prior to the new law going into effect was allowed to have their snakes grandfathered in order to keep them (provided they could prove they owned the snakes before the law changed). So right now the only way a person can possess a new copperhead is to obtain a Endangered Species/Scientific Collector Permit and DNR does NOT hand them out to just anyone.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
The law changed just the other year and word really hasn't gotten out unless you were someone who already had RAP permits. DNR essentially was trying to close a loop hole in their wildlife laws that conflicted with another state law and the only option they really had to was to essentially move copperheads from List A to List C and in a round-about-way say they are now an endangered species even though they really aren't. Anyone who owned copperheads prior to the new law going into effect was allowed to have their snakes grandfathered in order to keep them (provided they could prove they owned the snakes before the law changed). So right now the only way a person can possess a new copperhead is to obtain a Endangered Species/Scientific Collector Permit and DNR does NOT hand them out to just anyone.

Taken from the Maryland DNR website:

Snakes are considered "nongame" species in Maryland. According to regulations passed in 1993, it is legal to possess or collect without a permit up to four snakes from the wild as pets for all species except timber rattlesnake, rainbow snake, scarlet snake and mountain earth snake. These four species are either endangered or treated as such, and may not be possessed.

Did Someone Say Snakes?? - Maryland Wildlife

NatureCenter

That is an OLD article written during a time when the previous regulations had copperheads under List A which allowed them to be kept without a permit. The NEW regulations now put copperheads under List C. Because copperheads are now under List C, a RAP permit no longer allows copperheads to be kept by anyone.

Per the current RAP regulations Captive Reptile & Amphibian Permit/License- Wildlife and Heritage Service - Maryland Department of Natural Resources

WHAT YOU CANNOT DO
No reptiles or amphibians from List C may be possessed, bred, or sold. These animals may only be held in accordance with a Scientific Collection Permit or an Endangered Species Permit issued by the Department of Natural Resources.

Scientific Collection Permit/License
Scientific Collection Permit/License - Wildlife and Heritage Service - Maryland Department of Natural Resources

Endangered Species Permit
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Licenses/pdfs/permites.pdf

I have a permit and never got notice.

MD DNR sent out letters in September of 2007 notifying current RAP permit holders that the RAP regulations were under review and gave a detailed list of the upcoming proposed changes. In January 2008, DNR sent out another letter along with a revised copy of the proposed regulation changes. The revisions were based on public comments to the original draft and the new changes were also open to public comment. On March 24, 2008, the new regulations went into effect.

If you want to read the current COMAR on reptiles & amphibians, try this link:

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/SubtitleSearch.aspx?search=08.03.11.*

If you did not hold a valid permit for the 2007 year, then that could explain why you didn't get the notice. DNR is only obligated to personally notify people who currently hold permits at the time such changes are pending. They are under no obligation to personally notify non-permit/expired permit holders of pending changes. I have always kept my RA permit up to date every year since the mid-90's even when I didn't always need the permit just so I could get such notices and be aware of such potential changes.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
That is an OLD article .

You are correct good Sir, sorry for doubting you!! :buddies:

Like all native snakes in Maryland, Northern copperheads are protected by the Nongame and Endangered Species Conservation Act and cannot be killed, possessed, bred, or sold without first acquiring the proper permit from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Additionally, Maryland requires a Captive Reptile and Amphibian Permit for the possession, breeding, and sale of native reptiles and amphibians in the state.

Mongo53

Someone other than me, 2nd hand hearsay really, found 2 copperheads in his yard (at seperate times), and has small children that play in the yard, so he killed the copperheads with a shovel. Yes, they are NOT an agressive species, but they are still a risk with small active children that frequent an area where they could easily step on them. That person, other than me, felt real bad about becoming a criminal to protect his family and home for a species that is NOT endangered in the slightest.

But, that person, I heard, home was in a new neighborhood, just cut out of the woods, and found one copperhead in a seldom used wood pile right at the edge of the woods and the yard. The other copperhead in some taller than normal grass, at the edge of a concrete slab that had some water erosion that created a small cavity under the slab, i.e. a perfect little cave for the snake. And I've heard more than once, copperheads like wood piles, in addition to hearing about a person that killed a copperhead they found in their wood pile.

glhs837

Power with Control
during puppies first checkup last week, the folks at All Kinds told us they were treating two dogs from Chancellors area for copperhead bites. Told us to be careful with the pup in the backyard.

Mongo53

Funny how Snake Killing tools also just happen to be so good at scooping out dirt from the ground and being able to toss it to the side, you may even have one in your garage, that you mistakenly purchased for the incorrect purpose of digging up dirt.

I've got nothing against snakes, I'm just trying to be funny.:whistle:

Last edited: