Looking for info on WebCams, Internet Cameras, etc.

rebeka and I have a new whim - spying on the pets via the web while we are at work. :crazy: We might even expand this into a home security / surveillance thing.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this?

SamSpade

I'll check, but I am pretty sure that Creative Lab's web cams all come with software to allow you to do exactly what you want. I think you only have to get your own web page, and re-direct the output to it.

Re: Re: Looking for info on WebCams, Internet Cameras, etc.

Originally posted by kwillia
.... be sure to allow video conferencing so you can holler at 'em if you seeing them doing something they aren't supposed to be doing....:lmao:

Sure thing kwilla! Then the next step is to modify the roomba to receive a "go postal on pets" command so I can finish the required "behavior modification lesson". :shocking:

SamSpade,

Thanks for the tip. I've read some on the Creative Labs cameras and others that connect to the PC via USB, firewire, etc.

everyone,
So far, I (think I) know I need a camera, some webcam-type software, a web page, and an http server. I think it would be cool to have one of those internet cameras with the built-in web server. They're kinda pricey, and I don't know if they would solve my server issue, which is where the black hole :banghead: begins for me.

By service agreement, I can't run a local http server on my PC. So I assume I'm forced to use my ISP's server for my web page. I also assume my ISP will most likely balk at me serving up a page with live streaming video.

I could ramble on about all I don't know about this. But, you'll just get bored, and I'll get tired of typing. So, If you have have a tip, or if you have a friend, co-worker, or great-grandparent that has done this before, I'd appreciate any help I could get. Feel free to PM or email.

SamSpade

Oooh! Saw something on Fox and Friends this morning - a web cam that follows motion. So if your animals are moving about, it will follow them. Cool, huh? Creative Labs, too, I think.

We're there!

Hey SS, I got one of those Creative cameras, WebCam NX, $29 at WallyMart. Staples has a Pro version for $49.

The standard NX can do up to 30 frames per sec, with a resolution up to 640x480. Not bad for the money. It has motion detection activation, but it doesn't follow motion like the one you mentioned. Iit comes with all the software you need to display captured still images on the web.

I had a still-image web page up in no time. The software automatically FTPs updated images at an interval I specify, and the web page does an auto-refresh at a similar interval. The next step was to do the streaming video. Turns out rebeka had a webcam-ing expert in her office, so we picked his brain for some help.

In the end, we used a free "redirection" service and their webcam software to get the streaming passed our dynamic IP and ISP proxy server issues. Here's the link to the service: www.myusedbook.com

The show isn't much just yet (I need to teach those dogs some tricks!). But at least I've got the technology part figured out!