The Boston Red Sox Lose Out Again!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Holy Smokes! The Beantown Curse Is Still Alive
:cool: Barring any last minute legal problems, and subject to Bud Selig's approval, Alex Rodriguez, or "A-Rod", as he's known in the baseball world, is going to become a NY Yankee third baseman.

Don't you know this breaks the Red Sox' heart, and all the wheeling and dealing they've done to improve their chance for an American League Pennant in 2004 are suddenly in doubt?

The Curse of the Bambino lives on!!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
If the curse is alive, it's affecting all of MLB other than the Yankees. Baseball's revenue sharing plan is a joke. It still leaves the Yankees with so much of a cash advantage that they can buy any player they want.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by ceo_pte
GO YANKEES! :clap:
:clap: D@mned Skippy!

The only problem they've got, that I can see, is that their starting pitching may not be as good as last year's.

But from what I've been hearing on ESPN, they are going to score a ton of runs!

We'll see.:cheers:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by penncam
:clap: D@mned Skippy!

The only problem they've got, that I can see, is that their starting pitching may not be as good as last year's.

But from what I've been hearing on ESPN, they are going to score a ton of runs!

We'll see.:cheers:

:lol: Their starting pitching will be the reason they won't make the playoffs this year. Everyone in the AL East will have a better ERA than the yankees..Face it, Penn, the Yankees are headed to the cellar like all the NY teams.

ceo_pte

Originally posted by otter
:lol: Their starting pitching will be the reason they won't make the playoffs this year. Everyone in the AL East will have a better ERA than the yankees..Face it, Penn, the Yankees are headed to the cellar like all the NY teams.

I doubt it.... The Yankees have too much history. They will always be a powerhouse. I'm not saying they will go every year, but they will win at least one world serious every decade.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Weep for the Red Sox nation as the empire strikes back again

Know any Boston Red Sox fans? Have any of them put a bowling ball through their television set yet?
Treat them gently today. Pat them on their slumped backs and tell them it's not that bad. One day it must all change.

Try to pretend you're not lying.

Pity their fate. They are never safe from the Yankees. Not in the summer. Not in October. Not in winter, when the pinstripers taunt them with wads of cash.

They close their eyes at night and see Pedro Martinez still on the mound in the eighth inning last fall in the Bronx. They wake up in a cold sweat, having dreamed of the most terrifying apparition of all. George Steinbrenner with his checkbook out.

What is he buying now, Lake Superior, to use as his team's whirlpool?

No, just a new third baseman. Barring last second cold feet by Bud Selig, Alex Rodriguez is going to New York.

There, he will find his usual shortstop position already occupied. But the Yankees don't mind. There is always, always, always room in the lineup — not to mention the payroll — for another luxury item.

Rodriguez will cost Steinbrenner $112 million for seven years. It is not clear yet if he will get the funds out of petty cash.

There are three things about Rodriguez that certainly must thrill the Yankees.

He can hit.

He can field.

And he's not playing shortstop for Boston. Which he almost was a few weeks ago.

Just a few last technicalities, and he was ready to be assigned his locker at Fenway Park. Then fate or the union or Babe Ruth or someone intervened, and the deal collapsed.

The Red Sox nation had cause for disappointment but not desolation. Rodriguez was going back to Texas. Who cares who hits third for the Rangers?

But here comes Boston's worst nightmare. Apocalypse now. Rodriguez playing next to Derek Jeter. The left side of the Yankee infield looks like a Cooperstown induction ceremony.

Shocked? We really shouldn't be. It had to come to this. Rodriguez became the poster player for big money the second he landed in Texas three years ago, with a deal worth a quarter-billion dollars. His is the picture that always runs with the story about insane spending in baseball.

A famously fat contract like that doesn't look quite right in Arlington, Tex. Sooner or later, Rodriguez had to become a Yankee.

Now apparently he is one.

The rest of baseball will grumble in NC-17 rated language at another Steinbrenner shopping trip. But weep not for the National Leaguers, who are safe from Steinbrenner's gold mine until the World Series, and keep beating the Yankees there, anyway.

Weep not for the Rangers' fans, even though their cellar dwellers are now partial sponsors of third base in Yankee Stadium, paying a $67 million slice of Rodriguez' contract.

That is the final bill for foolish spending. The Texas Rangers can stand as a warning to all others, of the ruin that comes when a fortune is given to one infielder, with pennies left for pitching.

But I worry for the Red Sox fans, that they might need professional counseling after this one.

First to be teased with getting Rodriguez to help end their eight-decade suffering.

Then to see him in the Bronx.

Their team has emptied its bank account to finance a rebellion in the American League East. Spent millions trying to get even. Only to run again into baseball's one unalterable law.

George Steinbrenner will always spend more trying not to get caught.

So weep for the Red Sox fans. All they know is anguish, when the empire strikes back.

Otter, the last place the Yankees will occupy will be the cellar.

So many things can happen, and do; but I really don't see them sliding to the bottom of the AL East.

And while I don't totally agree with Steinbrenner's move here for A-Rod, from the morality/ethics point of view, a number of ideas come to mind:

The Red Sox , so obsessed with "The Curse" went out and bought some quality players themselves.

Good or bad, you cannot underestimate the ego of G. Steinbrenner.

Steinbrenner wants to see his team win as badly as any other owner in the game. Is that a crime?

Last fall's colapse to the Yankees in the ALCS shook the Red Sox to their core, there is no mistaking that.

It was probably the bitterest pill they've had to swallow since losing Babe Ruth to ......oh heck, I forget now.:biggrin:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by rraley
I hate the Yankees...plain and simple. THEY SUCK
:rolleyes: Omg! An disenfranchized Red Sox fan?

Those losers, according to Peter Gammons, could have signed A-Rod themselves for a mere 2 million a year along the life of his contract.
He said: "Chump Change", for a player of his calibre.

Apparently, the Yankees agreed.

My guess is - this guy is going to make an opposing pitching staff
think hard about "pitching around" other players in the lineup.

"OK, let's issue an intentional walk to Bernie or Jason, we'll just - OOps! Look who's on deck!!?!"

D@mn (bleeping) A-Rod!

rraley

Originally posted by penncam
:rolleyes: Omg! An disenfranchized Red Sox fan?
No sir a true hometown team fan in the Baltimore Orioles. And I just hate the word Yankee. I cannot stand how the Yankees have made themselves a $200 million team. If there is any reason for a salary cap in baseball, now is it.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
No sir a true hometown team fan in the Baltimore Orioles. And I just hate the word Yankee. I cannot stand how the Yankees have made themselves a $200 million team. If there is any reason for a salary cap in baseball, now is it.
:cool: Alright sir, hmmm......did the Orioles do anything this off season to bolster their chances to make the playoffs?

I seem to remember....oh yeah - Miguel Tejada. I'm sure he came cheap. And there are others.

But if Steinbrenner thinks he can spend and get away with it(shrug). Like I said earlier, he wants his team to be a winner; he's got the funds, and he can make it happen. Is that really a crime?

In a way though, I agree with what you say about the salary cap;
where is it going to end?

These guys are playing BASEBALL, a sport!! It's not like the NFL, or NHL.

I'm sure a pulled hamstring is no fun, but gees, the players in the NFL and NHL get things broken!

rraley

Well of course Steinbrenner has the funds. New York is an insanely rich market and the Yankees have been around since the early 1900s. It is unfair that just because of their city they get all that they want. And players that sign there for more money soon find out that the cost of living in NYC is horrendous (aka Mike "Benedict Arnold" Mussina).
Yes the Orioles did upgrade with Tejada, Lopez, Palmerio, and Ponson, but there payroll is still around $75 million. The Yankees is $190 million; that is insane and it is bad for baseball. Competition is a must and when one team has a higher payroll by $50 million than second place, there isn't good competition.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Well of course Steinbrenner has the funds. New York is an insanely rich market and the Yankees have been around since the early 1900s. It is unfair that just because of their city they get all that they want. And players that sign there for more money soon find out that the cost of living in NYC is horrendous (aka Mike "Benedict Arnold" Mussina).
Yes the Orioles did upgrade with Tejada, Lopez, Palmerio, and Ponson, but there payroll is still around $75 million. The Yankees is $190 million; that is insane and it is bad for baseball. Competition is a must and when one team has a higher payroll by $50 million than second place, there isn't good competition.

Unlike the NFL, baseball doesn't have much national TV revenue. The leagues let the teams keep most of their local TV money. The asinine "luxury tax" doesn't help the cause one bit. Until baseball adopts true revenue sharing, the Yankees will be able to outbid every other team in the league.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by Tonio
The asinine "luxury tax" doesn't help the cause one bit. Until baseball adopts true revenue sharing, the Yankees will be able to outbid every other team in the league.
:cool: True dat about the Luxury Tax. George could care less about it as long as his team is winning.

He'll pay it, and laugh his way to the bank.

As far as the Yankees "outbidding every other team"; if you mean that as a general description, OK.

But I don't recall the Yankees actively "bidding" for A-Rod.

The Red Sox and Mets were, I recall, but not NY.

That is why it was so shocking. (and I am not so happy to see Soriano leave the team, either).

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:rolleyes: In one of my earlier posts, I had said something to the effect that "this is going to break the hearts of a lot of Red Sox fans", but gee whiz, I sat through a half hour of ESPN2 listening to shots of Red Sox fans and players, and I gotta tell you there is some serious bitterness going on in that town.

It ranged from feelings of stupidity of the Red Sox organization not to have gone the extra mile and signed A-Rod when they had the chance, to the "God D###ed Yankees, they've screwed us again!"

One official from the Red Sox organization went so far as to say: "Look out A-Rod, Pedro likes to pitch inside".

Is that a threat, D##khead? Because your outfit couldn't sign him, so now he's fair game to maiming?

This is gonna make for one heluva season!

Otter

Nothing to see here
Boston fans worry too much, they will be fine. Steinbrenner is gonna implode over an intern issue before the season is out.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Although I am superstitious on most things I am saying that there is no curse!!! Whenever the Sox get the chance they blow it because everything is on the line and they worry too much about some ole curse. They should shut up because they just won two super bowls in three years!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by BuddyLee
Although I am superstitious on most things I am saying that there is no curse!!!

Whenever the Sox get the chance they blow it because everything is on the line and they worry too much about some ole curse.

:confused: BuddyLee, did you really mean what you said?

BTW, the Red Sox sure do!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by otter
Boston fans worry too much, they will be fine. Steinbrenner is gonna implode over an internal issue before the season is out.
:biggrin: Is that anything like a gastric attack?