Go the **** to sleep

KDENISE977

I had this on my facebook, I have a 4 week old now...and I thought it was HILARIOUS...SOMEHOW not everyone shared my humor?? I got a few nasty comments??

I don't care...I love it !!!:buddies:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

:killingme :killingme :killingme

Oh my gosh, I have SO "been there, done that" (albeit mentally with the language). And any parent who says they haven't is lying through their teeth!

This book has caused quite a stir in the publishing world and I was very curious to read it for myself. Samuel L. Jackson does a fantastic reading job! Thank you so much for sharing this link (even though it took me 3 tries to get the Audible thing installed correctly, it eventually worked).

:roflmao:

puggymom

I had this on my facebook, I have a 4 week old now...and I thought it was HILARIOUS...SOMEHOW not everyone shared my humor?? I got a few nasty comments??

I don't care...I love it !!!:buddies:

Really? Gosh some people cannot take a joke. This book is not for kids and I would never let my kids hear it! Well maybe when they are much much older. I think that some people just have this false reality that if you are not 100% happy all the time with your kids somehow you are a bad parent. That it just must be sunshine and rainbows all the time.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Really? Gosh some people cannot take a joke. This book is not for kids and I would never let my kids hear it! Well maybe when they are much much older. I think that some people just have this false reality that if you are not 100% happy all the time with your kids somehow you are a bad parent. That it just must be sunshine and rainbows all the time.

If it were sunshine and rainbows all of the time, sunshine and rainbows wouldn't be so magical. It takes the "go the f**k to sleep" moments to appreciate those times when everything falls together perfectly -- the kids go to bed when you tell them to, they fall asleep quickly and deeply, and you finally get some quality time with an important adult.

I posted it on FB just to see what kind of comments I get. Of course, I'm cautious with friending so chances are my friends will all appreciate it.

In general though, people are just strange.

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
This is an adult's bedtime story book. For anyone who has ever raised a toddler it is hysterical. And for a limited time you can download the audio version, narrated by Samuel L. Jackson, for free!

Download Go the F--k to Sleep | Adam Mansbach | Go the F--k to Sleep Audio Book UNABRIDGED | Audible Audiobooks | Audible Audio Edition |Audible.com

I don't even need to listen to it, but only look at the title, to get a good chuckle. Maybe my wife and I will sit down together and listen to it....of course, once the kids go to sleep :killingme

Last edited:

puggymom

Saw this on FB yesterday in relation to the book. Pretty sure this is half of what's wrong with this country, people and attitudes like those found in the article

"Go the F*** to Sleep" not funny - CNN.com

Oh goodness...people just cannot take a joke. I love how the author feels he needs to remind parents not to let their kids hear this? Really? I may have a weird sense of humor but I am not a complete moron!
And just because our society believes that everyone has a right to pop out babies with no regard for their actual care does not mean those of us who do cannot find humor in situations that can get frustrating.
I guess I believe in telling it like it is with parenting. I just roll my eyes at my FB friends who, as I have said before, portray raising kids as all sunshine and rainbows. All I can think is that it is a huge lie.
I think that is why I like stuff like this or blogs like "Rants from Mommyland". It shows people a side of parenting that they night now expect and therefore think badly of themselves for feeling frustrated.
I actually LOL at the lines,
"The eagles who soar thru the sky are at rest
And the creatures who crawl, run and creep.
I know you are not thirsty. That's bulls**t.
Stop lying.
Lie the f*** down, my darling, and sleep."
because I can relate. But I guess I just expect most people to have this thing called a brain that prevents them from actually uttering every thought that goes through it.

Cowgirl

My coworker brought a copy of the book to work a couple months ago. The whole "you're not thirsty, that's bull####. Stop lying." line is my favorite. ;lol: I made a copy of it for my sister.

betty99

Oh goodness...people just cannot take a joke. I love how the author feels he needs to remind parents not to let their kids hear this? Really? I may have a weird sense of humor but I am not a complete moron!
And just because our society believes that everyone has a right to pop out babies with no regard for their actual care does not mean those of us who do cannot find humor in situations that can get frustrating.
I guess I believe in telling it like it is with parenting. I just roll my eyes at my FB friends who, as I have said before, portray raising kids as all sunshine and rainbows. All I can think is that it is a huge lie.
I think that is why I like stuff like this or blogs like "Rants from Mommyland". It shows people a side of parenting that they night now expect and therefore think badly of themselves for feeling frustrated.
I actually LOL at the lines,
"The eagles who soar thru the sky are at rest
And the creatures who crawl, run and creep.
I know you are not thirsty. That's bulls**t.
Stop lying.
Lie the f*** down, my darling, and sleep."
because I can relate. But I guess I just expect most people to have this thing called a brain that prevents them from actually uttering every thought that goes through it.

:yeahthat:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Saw this on FB yesterday in relation to the book. Pretty sure this is half of what's wrong with this country, people and attitudes like those found in the article

"Go the F*** to Sleep" not funny - CNN.com

:yeahthat:

I actually read that whole commentary.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Karen Spears Zacharias.

Quite frankly, putting this disclaimer at the end of that commentary does not absolve CNN from any culpability in promoting this hysterical fear-mongering rant (at least in my eyes). I am very, very tired of people that I don't even know attempting to decide what I shall and shall not do, "for my own good". She's an idiot and therefore, I do not value her opinion or even see any kind of logic to her arguments. It's a book. It was written for adults. It takes a common child-rearing experience, and "imagines" what it would be like if a parent could really say what they are thinking. It is a work of fiction, a product of someone's imagination. It is not the Gospel, or a recommendation from a pediatrician or any other authority that would matter. Read it, or not. It is an individual's decision, and their right to make that decision on their own.

Karen needs to get over herself and stop taking everything so seriously.

pelers

Quite frankly, putting this disclaimer at the end of that commentary does not absolve CNN from any culpability in promoting this hysterical fear-mongering rant (at least in my eyes). I am very, very tired of people that I don't even know attempting to decide what I shall and shall not do, "for my own good". She's an idiot and therefore, I do not value her opinion or even see any kind of logic to her arguments. It's a book. It was written for adults. It takes a common child-rearing experience, and "imagines" what it would be like if a parent could really say what they are thinking. It is a work of fiction, a product of someone's imagination. It is not the Gospel, or a recommendation from a pediatrician or any other authority that would matter. Read it, or not. It is an individual's decision, and their right to make that decision on their own.

Karen needs to get over herself and stop taking everything so seriously.

I love how race and religion were brought into it. I guess all humorous books that have anything to do with children should be banned, lest they be taken as parenting advice!

Hell, our parents should probably be banned from existence as well. God forbid our children are EVER subjected to the awful experiences they had growing up (like actually having fun!)

frozenrain

My coworker brought a copy of the book to work a couple months ago. The whole "you're not thirsty, that's bull####. Stop lying." line is my favorite. ;lol: I made a copy of it for my sister.

Not read the book but reading that line you posted made me laugh. yes that is a favourite amongst children to delay bed time.

bohman

We are now proud owners of this book, and yes, it's hilarious.

It should be obvious to anyone what the intent of the book is. It is intended for kind, responsible parents (who would never actually say these things) to have a laugh and be reassured that they are not alone in their struggles to get some rest.

Does it mean we should laugh at awful parents who actually say things like these to their kids? Of course not. But Karen whats-her-name seems to think that we will.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
That lady is incoherent. The article starts about violent language in association with children, then moves on the jews and blacks, and finishes up with how sad it is more people don't read to their children. um...wth does that have to do with the book? Ugh. they let anyone who can type be a writer these days. Apparently cogent thought isn't a requirement.