Vraiblonde and mAlice...

An official study backs up your findings... we may be one step closer to banning children in public... :yay:

Finally, empirical evidence has arrived that whining is one of the most annoying noises ever. (As if you needed proof.)

In fact, childish whining is more distracting than the screech of a high-pitched table saw, according to a new study. To test people's tolerance for various sounds, scientists asked them to do math problems in silence, and then while listening to talking, “motherese” (aka baby talk), whining and machine noise. Just to make sure words weren't throwing the test-takers off, they recorded the speech in a foreign language.

The results? Whining tripped up subjects with their subtraction more than any other sound. “You're basically doing less work and doing it worse when you're listening to the whines,” said study co-author Rosemarie Sokol Chang, a professor of psychology at SUNY New Paltz. “It doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman, everybody's equally distracted.” Surprisingly, the other sounds made no difference to the participants' mathematical prowess.

Science Confirms It: Whining Is The Most Annoying Sound Ever - TIME NewsFeed

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Clearly none of the scientists tested were parents of young children, otherwise they wouldn't have even registered the whining. I mean, it's clear that parents of these tykes don't hear it, otherwise they'd make young Brattica cut it out or remove them from the vicinity.

belvak

Happy Camper
Clearly none of the scientists tested were parents of young children, otherwise they wouldn't have even registered the whining. I mean, it's clear that parents of these tykes don't hear it, otherwise they'd make young Brattica cut it out or remove them from the vicinity.

Restaurants used to have smoking and non-smoking sections. Now, they should have family and non-family sections. Separated, of course, by very thick heavy glass doors with the ultimate amount of noise reduction insulation! Could you please make that happen for us, Vrai?? TIA :smoochy:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Restaurants used to have smoking and non-smoking sections. Now, they should have family and non-family sections. Separated, of course, by very thick heavy glass doors with the ultimate amount of noise reduction insulation! Could you please make that happen for us, Vrai?? TIA :smoochy:

No, they should have a-hole and non a-hole sections. I have youngish (almost 7 and 9) kids that behave when we're out for fear of their little lives. My youngest got my mouth and will quickly point out an ill behaved kid and note that I'd spank him if he acted that way.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
No, they should have a-hole and non a-hole sections. I have youngish (almost 7 and 9) kids that behave when we're out for fear of their little lives. My youngest got my mouth and will quickly point out an ill behaved kid and note that I'd spank him if he acted that way.

My 7 year old has gone one step further and told me to go over there and spank the kid to get him/her to be quiet. :lol:

belvak

Happy Camper

:yay: Our kids always behaved when they were little too. Sometimes, it's more the parents than the kids. There are lots of times we go out and can't enjoy our meal because there's always the person at a table near you that yammers on non-stop through their entire meal. I don't know how they manage to eat, since their mouth never stops!!! Maybe they just need to have the quiet section and the talkative section?? :lol: