Charles County Schools

Rock_Chick

I have a friend whos 4 year old is supposed to be going to preschool this year. She registered him for public school and they said he is on a waiting list. He is a category 4 student and categories 1-3 will be chosen before him. Last week she got a call from the school and they said there was no room left in any public school in Charles county and since Pre K is not mandatory they will not be making room for him.

She said that because she doesn’t freeload off of the government, has a good job, owns a house and makes good money, her son doesn’t get to go to pre k in Charles county.

Is this the norm? Is it true that category 1 children are kids with parents of food stamps or getting government help? Is there anything she can do?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
yep. head start is for low income folks. It is the biggest racket EVER ..it is basically tax funded daycare. It is sup to help the at risk students "catch up" with their peers but it has been shown time and time, and time again to do no such thing. It's a money/time/energy pit. Might as well call it what it is, free daycare.

If she makes good money then she is lucky she can provide him with a good private pre k/daycare.

Rock_Chick

yep. head start is for low income folks. It is the biggest racket EVER ..it is basically tax funded daycare. It is sup to help the at risk students "catch up" with their peers but it has been shown time and time, and time again to do no such thing. It's a money/time/energy pit. Might as well call it what it is, free daycare.

If she makes good money then she is lucky she can provide him with a good private pre k/daycare.

she makes good money meaning she can just afford all of her bills lol she can't afford private anything. lol Hes in day care now and I guess thats where hes going to go back to but how sad is this?

Headstart? They told her to check in to that after they rejected her.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
We live in St. Mary's and it is the same way here also. My daughter was not accepted into prek.

I look at it this way, they take low income famililes and children with behavior issues 1st. I would rather my daughter go to daycare another year then to be around kids that may have a temper or other social issues.

Rock_Chick

We live in St. Mary's and it is the same way here also. My daughter was not accepted into prek.

I look at it this way, they take low income famililes and children with behavior issues 1st. I would rather my daughter go to daycare another year then to be around kids that may have a temper or other social issues.

but those same kids will still be in school with your daughter. I wish She could afford private. I didnt realize thats how getting shools filled was handled. I guess I'm stupid because I dont have kids and dont understand the system but I always thought public schools..were uhh.. public

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
but those same kids will still be in school with your daughter. I wish She could afford private. I didnt realize thats how getting shools filled was handled. I guess I'm stupid because I dont have kids and dont understand the system but I always thought public schools..were uhh.. public

true but not until she has to be

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
private prek is the same as daycare. sometimes it is only for a few days a week though, so daycare is probably better to stay in. The kid is NOT going to miss out on anything. They aren't teaching them anything new, and her kid isn't going to be behind.

Rock_Chick

private prek is the same as daycare. sometimes it is only for a few days a week though, so daycare is probably better to stay in. The kid is NOT going to miss out on anything. They aren't teaching them anything new, and her kid isn't going to be behind.

What happens when she tries to get him into kinder or 1st grade? WIll the squeeze him in then? Will he be bussed out?

As a parent of two who are now 18 and 16, I purposely never sheltered them by putting tem in private schools. I am a firm believer that children need to be exposed to learning to deal with all facets of society and they need to experience having to deal with teachers they don't like. If they don't learn how to deal with these things while under the wing of parents that can mentor them as to how to navigate the negative aspects about life how well can they be expected to deal with real life when they are adults and supposed to be forging their way on their own?

lovinmaryland

None of my 3 older boys went to Pre K and they all scored in the 95th percentile for the state testings last year.

My 4 year old was accepted this year for Pre K but he does have behavior issues... I am praying school well help chill his little ass out. If he would have been our 1st one he would have been the only one!

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
What happens when she tries to get him into kinder or 1st grade? WIll the squeeze him in then? Will he be bussed out?

He will get into school. They have less spots for Pre k. (at least in st marys I dont think they have it in every school) Kindergarten and above are required so they will find him a spot. She shouldn't be worried. Everything will be ok. Her child isn't being deprived of anything, and will get into school just fine. It sucks to pay for daycare another year, but that's how it goes.

Rock_Chick

He will get into school. They have less spots for Pre k. (at least in st marys I dont think they have it in every school) Kindergarten and above are required so they will find him a spot. She shouldn't be worried. Everything will be ok. Her child isn't being deprived of anything, and will get into school just fine. It sucks to pay for daycare another year, but that's how it goes.

Good point. I guess I just find it disturbing that because she is successful her child cant go to PreK

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!
My daughter went to pre-k in St. Mary's. I didn't relize that I was a low income family and my daughter is a problem child. :cds:

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm

I am not a teacher so I do not know but I would assume they have more classrooms and teachers to accomadate children entering K. They already have a serious budget issue as it is. I'm sure they do not have the funding to hire more prek teachers and all the expenses that come with that especially since prek is not required.

Nothing is taught at prek that a parent can't teach at home. Is she mad that she has to pay for another year of daycare?

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
My daughter went to pre-k in St. Mary's. I didn't relize that I was a low income family and my daughter is a problem child. :cds:

parents are always the last to know......j/k

Sometimes it just works out that not a lot of kids applied.

Rock_Chick

:lmao:

I am not a teacher so I do not know but I would assume they have more classrooms and teachers to accomadate children entering K. They already have a serious budget issue as it is. I'm sure they do not have the funding to hire more prek teachers and all the expenses that come with that especially since prek is not required.

Nothing is taught at prek that a parent can't teach at home. Is she mad that she has to pay for another year of daycare?

NO he was going to go to after school care there anyways so she was already paying for it. She was mad that she had to tell her son he wasn't going to big boy school this year. She was mad that she was rejected because she was successful. She was mad that they waited till last week to call her. She was mad that her son is category 4 and although that should be a good thing.. its not.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

st marys is a little different.. non low income families can get into headstart even..there just aren't as many low income families in st marys ..I know lots of people that got into headstart just cuz.

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!
st marys is a little different.. non low income families can get into headstart even..there just aren't as many low income families in st marys ..I know lots of people that got into headstart just cuz.

What, are you trying to make me feel better cause I just found out that I'm Section 8. :bawl: