Are there any Republicans out there?

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
I was wondering if Maryland is all demo's or is there some rep's out there?  Just wondering?

BudoPo

In the Lexington Park area, I had the impression that most people are Republicans.  I just assumed it was like that in the rest of Southern MD.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Hmmm..I thought the "D" word was banned here......Actually, I think Republican counties outnumber the "D" counties in Maryland.  

Frank

Chairman of the Board
I'm pretty sure in the last election, the only areas that voted Democrat were Baltimore City, Baltimore County, PG County, Montgomery, Howard and Charles. And maybe some place on the eastern shore. The rest tends to vote Republican.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Outnumbered at voting, not sure what you mean.  In Maryland the party breakdown for the 2000 election – Registered (votes received for President)

1.  Democrat – 1,547,117 (1,145,782)
2.  Republican – 805,894 (813,797)
3.  Libertarian – 4,021 (5,310)
4.  Reform – 813 (4,248)
5.  Green – 973 (53,768)
6.  Constitution – 57 (919)
7.  Other or not affiliated – 356,491 (194)
8.  Total – 2,715,366 (2,024,018)

Republican Counties –

1.  Allegany
2.  Carroll
3.  Frederick
4.  Garrett
5.  Talbot
6.  Washington

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Registered Republican checking in.  But I have been known to vote for Democrats in local elections because I liked them better than my party's candididate.  While St. Mary's is primarily Democrat, they still vote conservatively.  That's why you'll rarely see a local candidate espousing the liberal viewpoint - it would kill them politically.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One of the reasons I don't like to vote for Democrats is that they're just mean, nasty, ugly people and they lie like dogs.  Here goes Al Gore:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orl-asecgore14041402.story?coll=orl%2Dnews%2Dheadlines

Most of the accusations he makes in this article are lies.  Then the libs get some freaked out website to say that <i>Bush</i> lies - and everything in <i>it's</i> a lie!

Who is more obnoxious and hate-filled (and lying dogs) than Paul Begala and James Carville?  Unless it's maybe Terry MacAuliffe.  And since they represent the Democratic Party, I can only assume that they are representational of Democrats in general.  Then I look at the people who spout liberalism and Democratic policies in these forums and even most of <i>them</i> are pretty hateful characters.

I am absolutely sick of the phrase "tax cuts for the wealthy".  We are not a wealthy household and we got a HUGE tax cut, and a $600 check to top it off.  Every time I hear Gore say those words, it reminds me that he's a liar who served under a liar President.  Yet there are people out there who are so stupid that they believe him rather than pay attention to a newspaper or even their own paychecks.

jimmy

Drunkard
Missi,
Ken's stats speak for themselves. Traditionally, MD is a democratic state vote-wise. We almost always end up sending our electoral votes for the democratic candidate (in fact, I'd be curious as to the last time we didn't). However down here (in somd) and ESPECIALLY on this board, it is predominantly republican (or at least conservative). This isn't surprising as many of the people down here are affiliated w/the base or have military experience and those people tend to be republicans (gotta love a big defense budget).
It's interesting to me though, how much democrats/liberals are demonized here by many of you.  And your main issues with them seem to be morally-based (lying is I think the biggest thing you've pointed to). However, this is a trait of ALL polititians. You mock foxy's posts but she IS right. G.W. has done PLENTY of crappy things in his tenure as a public figure. He's COMPLETELY controlled by special interests, much like his daddy, and has basically failed at every endeavor he's put his "effort" into...
HOWEVER---that being said, for the most part, I've been happy with his handling of this situation with the war on terror. Great men often have greatness "thrust upon them" and Bush is seeming to be going that route. I actually felt more comfortable having Bushie as pres. rather than Al Gore even though I voted for Gore and would have generally liked him better as president.
And stop using the last election as grounds for your arguements.  It was like a choice between a kick to the nuts and a punch to the throat...you don't really want either so you just tense up and hope whichever it is doesn't hurt TOO bad...

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Republican here.  Jimmy, here's an interesting site that will give you all the information regarding how Maryland has voted since 1789.

http://www.nara.gov/fedreg/elctcoll/

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Having lived in St. Mary's for more than 20 years, I've noticed that newcomers tend to be Republicans. That's probably due to the defense industry here. The families who have lived here for generations tend to be conservative Democrats, with older residents often voting according to party.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I've never held a political affiliation, because I believe the parties do not stand for anything anymore, other than their own survival. There's no consistency of ideology. Just as an example, the Reps believe in hands-off government when it comes to business regulation but hands-on government when it comes to the legality of abortion.

Plus, party rhetoric is so ugly these days. It's like, "Oh, you're a Democrat. You're part of the Marxist conspiracy to turn public-school students into gay tree-huggers!" Or, "Oh, so you're a Republican. You steal from poor old widows and wipe out endangered species to fatten the wallets of the Wall Street crowd!"

BudoPo

I pretty much agree with Jimmy and Tonio.  Special interest groups seem to have a big influence on George W., but is handling the terrorism issue pretty well.  

There also seems to be a certain amount of animosity between the parties on some forums, including this one.  I suppose this is from the different views of the parties on a few key issues about which people have strong feelings.

Anyway, this being tax day, did everyone remember to return their $300 tax "rebate"?  I think it was line 47 of the 1040.  It was really just an advance refund of your 2001 taxes, so now we have to give it back.

Hessian

Oh the wild mythology these liberals spout!!!!!!
How about sitting back and watching hour after hour of Bill Clinton shmoozing with his tea sipping donors, or him delivering a lecture in a closed door session to potential donors as to how much more they should be giving and him courting anyone who waves cash under his nose. Talk about pandering!!!
Don't you dare complain about GW being influenced by special interests.
If a boot came in from the pasture with a hundred dollar bill stuck to it, Clinton would be gnawing off the ankle to get it.

Green Constitutional Party checking in. (Go Howard)

(Edited by Hessian at 10:56 pm on April 16, 2002)

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I don’t know if I would agree that “it is predominantly republican” on these posts.  I think it is determined strictly by the subject matter of the topic.  From which you might be able to deduce a persons political leanings, but again that might not be accurate either.  I doubt if we have many 100% toe the line Democrats or Republicans out there.  That in my mind is what sucks the most about having two major parties that control how people are elected.   Most of us just don’t agree with everything that they say they are for all the time and we speak more from internal convictions than political philosophy.

As far as special interests goes, I believe that every President has been influenced at least one time or another by what could be classified as a special interest.   This is nothing new, it is politics as usual.  It just happens that instead of an environmentally minded person in office we currently have a business and defense minded person behind the helm.  

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
Screw environment, when it comes to defence.  I'd rather have the money go to the military and kicking Bin Ladin Butt!!!!  I mean don't get me wrong, I'm for some environment things, but some go tooo far!!!

jimmy

Drunkard
Of course just about all presidents, or all polititians for that matter, are influenced by special interest.  What I was trying to do was point out that for those that were just trashing liberals as "mean nasty ugly people that lie like dogs" etc... that Bush was no patron saint of fair, honest, unbiased politics. Every polititian has an agenda. Every polititian has friends who helped them get where they are.  But what it came down to for ME is who is the BEST polititian for the job. Not about morality for me, for that's such a gray area I don't care if Clinton got a BJ from a goat at on stage at the Met or if GW snorted coke or smoked crack through his anus as long as they are able to perform the duties for which they were elected. Clinton was a scumbag but he was one of the greatest polititians we've ever had as president. As a fan of politics and political theory, it was great for me to watch him in action.  As for Bush, I think he's got the individual ability to handle this job of an autistic 3rd grader but he's got an INCREDIBLE support staff; much better equipped for this current situation that Clinton's would have been. So I can agree with Ken that party affiliation really leads people to believe that you are far more one dimensional than you actually are. For example, my current favorite political figure is the conservative Don Rumsfeld. I just love his no bs attitude and the way he responds to the press. He's intelligent, well spoken, and determined. And a member of the bush administration. So I don't think you can paint anyone in this thread with one brush stroke.  

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
Jimmy,

I respect you for your thoughts about Clinton, even though I don't agree with you.  And your right no pres. will ever be perfect, because no body is perfect.  We all have done stupid and dumb things in our life, that will come back and bite us in the a@@.  And for Rumsfeld, your right!!  I like to watch him speack.  He's the only person that tells the press how stupid they are, along with some of there questions!!  I'm not saying that bush is perfect, he's far from it and yes he still has a long way to go when it comes down to knowing what he's doing sometimes, but that's why he has a kick a@@ team!! I just think him and his team are handling this better than what Gore would have!! I do like alot of demo's, but alot I don't like, just like I like most rep's, but there are some I don't like!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
By golly, Jimmy, we're on a roll here with things we agree on.  I'm starting to get scared.

I am a big Rumsfeld fan and also believe that Clinton was one of the better, if not best, politicians in history.  What would have made him best of all time, hands down, if he'd gone on TV and did an "I have sinned" speech instead of getting all defensive, lying and trotting Hillary out there to get the sympathy vote.

I like Bush, Laura and the whole mess of them.  They're likeable people, whether you think he's stupid or not.  I don't think it's stupid to not know the names of kings of piddling "nations" or to have a mangled syntax problem.  What is even stupider is to risk your Presidency on a 21 year old intern.  So while Clinton is one of the best politicians, he's also pretty stupid, in my book.  Clinton is likeable but he surrounded himself with some of the more unlikeable people he could dig up, including his nasty wife.  Gore has that same problem - that whole Naomi Wolf/Donna Brazile thing.  Let's talk Bill Daly here - yikes!  They even went as far as so trot out the most unlikeable man in America - Alan Dershowitz.   Gore himself is pretty unlikeable, with that singsong cadence of his and that patronizing way of talking.  Plus that, he's an idiot and a fraud.

But Jimmy, I do have to disagree with you on one point - the President sets the moral tone for the US and I think it's important that he set the proper one.  Clinton, definitely not - and that goes for Gore the mean, ugly creepo, too.  Bush made some personal mistakes in his life (drunk, cokehead) but he overcame them and I think that's a great message to send to the American public.