How insane am I

Kirsten

Ok need some opinions and some ideas.

Situation: My sister has invited me and the kids to come visit for at least a couple of weeks out in Colorado Springs after Connor gets out of school on the 16th of June. She is paying for the tickets but it would be just myself with all three kids. Husband has to work and can't afford to take time off.

I took my first ever plane trip last March and to be honest am not comfortable about flying. I can manage myself to stay focused on the kids and ignore the terror I feel but admittedly I knew I had backup with the presence of my husband.

Lastly I would be trying to travel with 2 3 year olds and a 6.5 year old. How much help do you think I would really get and does anyone know of any flights out of one of the major airports that goes direct without having to get off and switch planes?

So is this a crazy idea of trying to do it myself, anyone done this sort of thing? Do you think I am trying to do too much in consideration of the fact I am not a great flier? Lastly any ideas besides Benadryl to get through a trip such as this?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
You're crazy because you have 3 kids. How could a little plane trip be any worse?

Lots of carriers go direct to Denver Intl. Only takes a couple of hours. If nothing else, those portable DVD players are getting cheap now, and you could take one and some headphones for the kids and they could veg on DVD's all the way there.

OH, in addition to benadril, try jackncoke, it works great for me. :cheers:

I say go and enjoy it. If nothing else, the airport in Denver is awsome. Make sure you see the copy of the Denver Aeronautical Chart they have in the floor of the terminal. It's cool. I helped create the original. :biggrin:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I've flown with 3 small kids before; piece of cake. Let each one pack a backback of stuff to keep them busy on the plane & bring their favorite snacks.

Originally posted by Sharon
I've flown with 3 small kids before; piece of cake. Let each one pack a backback of stuff to keep them busy on the plane & bring their favorite snacks.
Just make sure they don't have any sharp crayons, they could take an eye out with one of those things.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
It's not that bad, really. Your husband will help see you off from one airport, and you'll have your sister to help offload you once you get there. While you're on the plane just bring several activities to keep them busy. I would definitely try to get a direct flight, though.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
My wife flew to Singapore with a 2 & 5 yr old by herself twice, but that doesn't count. Out of the US people are friendlier.

Flying on smaller carriers is usually more kid-friendly than the big ones, the staff tend to be more friendly and accommodating, plus the gates aren't as crowded. We let ours run around in the airport to work off the energy so they sit quieter on the plane. Try frontier air. www.frontierairlines.com they have nonstops from all 3 airports to Denver.

Kirsten

Ok what I am looking at is changing planes in Denver, so far of the big lines United looks to be the best bet there. And it looks like flying out of BWI is the cheapest.

I was originally going to do her here but she wants her oldest to get a job and see if he can learn some responsibility, hence the change in me going there instead.

Lastly she won't drive into Denver. She is honestly terrified of trying to get to the airport there. So I feel if she is paying I can make it easier by coming into Colorado Springs. To do that I have to change planes somewhere. What I would love to do is have a stop but not have to get off the plane. I will check the frontier link thanks.

Kirsten

Originally posted by jlabsher
My wife flew to Singapore with a 2 & 5 yr old by herself twice, but that doesn't count. Out of the US people are friendlier.

Flying on smaller carriers is usually more kid-friendly than the big ones, the staff tend to be more friendly and accommodating, plus the gates aren't as crowded. We let ours run around in the airport to work off the energy so they sit quieter on the plane. Try frontier air. www.frontierairlines.com they have nonstops from all 3 airports to Denver.

Well yes into Denver, good thought but not into Colorado Springs. And as stated, sister is scared to go into Denver airport.

Kirsten

Originally posted by huntr1
Why not fly into Denver Intl. and then rent a car. Col. Springs is THAT far away (I don't think).

Ok, problem, I am BROKE, hence the reason she is paying for it and there is no car rental involved. I think I may have found a flight in where I don't actually have to switch planes, looks like it is a stop without getting off in Denver, which is what I am trying to do. The less time in a layover airport the better! I definitely don't want to do Chicago, from what I hear it is a nightmare usually to get to your connecting flight. No C.S. is only about an hour and a half give or take on the traffic, however I have absolutely NO IDEA of where I am going, only that she lives on United States Air Force Academy.

That's the other thing I would have to go through total inspection bumper to bumper to get on base as a visitor and with three kids and a rental car I am not sure I want to go through an hour plus inspection after a long plane and then long car ride. The kids don't have that much patience.

Now having her pick me up and bring on base, less likely to have a bumper to bumper inspection, and she has a conversion van so lots of things to keep the kids happy. Going into Colorado Springs would also mean a shorter ride back to her house once we are out of the airport.

It is a logistic thing. The twins barely being 3 when we go, I need to sort out their priorities first. Then make the plan work as best as possible to that list.

Kirsten

Originally posted by appyday
one word.......DRAMUMINE......(?) will make them sleep and not :barf:

My only thought is that we did the Benadryl when we flew from Hartford,CT to Pheonix, AZ last March and didn't do the trick. My youngest boy would pass out for about 20 minutes and then wake up and be fussy and then sleep another 20 or 30 minutes and be up for 45+ and be screaming and fussy. It was a nightmare. My daughter fell right to sleep, slept for about 1-2 hours and was bouncing off the walls for the rest of the flight. It was not an easy trip! And we did them as lap babies since they were under 2, won't do that again!

I am really afraid that the Dramamine would have a similar affect on them as the Benadryl

Kirsten

I have thought of that too. Husband wants me to go and get a break from the stress that is surrounding us here. I don't like the idea of leaving him alone for a long period of time. Or separating the kids from their beloved Daddy for that long. But the break and time with my sister may be very nice.

I haven't seen my sister in over a year, and that was only for a few days, and probably won't for at least another year after the proposed trip. So that is a motivation. Plus if in about 5-7 years husband and I decide that is where we want to be I would like to have at least visited once instead of going to an area sight unseen. There is a tentative plan to move there in about 5-7 years and then retire there. We would be near my sister and only a day's drive from his parents down in Arizona. This could be my one opportunity to get an idea of what it is like out there, and not just hear descriptions.

Kirsten

Re: OK...

Originally posted by Larry Gude
I'm stiffling a laugh here.

Would he keep the kids and you go alone? That would be a break.

I wish, no hence the reason for the tread. I know, I imagine people spitting many beverages out on their screens or keyboards. However the stress is in our relationship.

We need a minor break to look at things anew. Once in awhile, at least for us, that seems to help appreciate the other's viewpoint more. Separate vacations seems to help that. Though last year with him down here all summer and me alone it didn't because we both had other stresses piling up.

It is long and involved but sufficeth to say that after being together for 13 years and having many many hurdles to cross, duck and jump sometimes all at once, our relationship has taken many a hit and occassionally just needs time to breathe.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Is there someone like a teenage niece or nephew that you could take with you? They could help you out with everything from the airport and be a babysitter on the trip. :shrug:

Kirsten

Originally posted by CMC122
Is there someone like a teenage niece or nephew that you could take with you? They could help you out with everything from the airport and be a babysitter on the trip. :shrug:

No, only have one sister and her boys are there. Have no family in the area to help me out so this would be my first solo trip with the kids in this manner.