BioFuel Production in NY

The site referenced here, EPCAL, is actually the old Grumman Calverton Flight Test Facility. Any of you who were involved in Grumman E2, F-14 and EA-6B programs may have spent time here. I certainly did, 15 years.

Since the Navy and Northrop Grumman closed the facility, it's been pretty much unused, wasted, no direction. You can search for article on EPCAL and see proposals for use that even include an indoor all-season ski mountain!

Anyway, I digress. A new business has sprouted at the EPCAL site, biofuel manufacturing. There used to be a rail line into the facility for Grumman shipments, long since unused. The facility is going to begin using that rail service to ship fuel into Brooklyn NY. The amount of fuel transported by 2500 trucks over roads can be done in 100 train trips.

Sounds to me like a lot of thought has been put into this. I'm rooting for them.

Biofuel facility opens at EPCAL, to ship by rail and create 40 new jobs

Found out last night, from a friend that lives near the EPCAL site, that the source to make the fuel comes from by-products used to make animal feed.

No new corn goes into this.