Steam Customer Service

sparkyaclown

Steam's customer service sucks. I'll start off by stating that I'm sure there will be people who will side with Steam on this and I do take the blame for what happened, but I had hoped Steam would step up to the plate to make the customer happy.

On Saturday, Steam had put Darksiders on sale for $5. The normal price was $19.99. I saw the sale as the counter hit the 1 min remaining mark and decided that for $5 it was worth a try so I added it to my cart. I went to check out and it initially stated my total to be $5. It then asked for my billing info which I do not save so I have to type it in everytime I make a purchase from them. I type in my info and hit submit, it asks me to confirm my purchase and without even really paying attention I click the submit to confirm realizing a split second after I did that I was now being charged full price again. Apparently, Steam takes the price at the time you make the actual purchase and not the time you agreed to purchase it. Like I said I take responsibility for being an idiot and not paying attention to what I was doing.

I did not initiate a download of the software and immediately contacted support about the issue. Their response was basically "Sorry, you're screwed". Our billing system is automated and we will not honor the sale price after the sale expires regardless of where you were in the purchasing process at the time the sale was still valid nor will we offer to remove the title from your library and refund the purchase.

I found this to be extremely poor customer service as I feel the counter means absolutely nothing as there is no grace period for such things as finalizing the purchase once the stupid timer runs out. Wanted to post this to not only vent a little but also educate others.

sparkyaclown

you could reverse the charges with your bank

I thought of that but given the library I have Steam and how they seem to run things, I could see them banning my account meaning I'd lose all that. Since you don't really own any of those titles according to the agreement you accept when purchasing from them you're screwed.