Cat question this time

D

dems4me

There's a gorgeous MainCoon Tom thats been hanging outside all winter (except for the few days it was way too cold to have him stay out). Anyways, I'm finally at that stage where he will let me pet him a little after I give him some food. (I've been workin on this accomplisment for about 6 months.) The problem is he is all matted and reeks. I was going to get him all cleaned up and remove the matts but I figured he probably needed all the hair on him to survive the winter. I have decided that I will adopt this cat as one of my own as he gets along with everyone and shares food with them. My question is -- where woudl the cheapest place be in southern maryland that will turn him from "Stray to Chic" where he could get groomed, up to date on shots, neutured, etc....???

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
How To Bathe A Cat

1. Thoroughly clean the toilet.

2. Add the required amount of shampoo to the toilet water, and have both lids lifted.

3. Obtain the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

4. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids (you may need to stand on the lid so that he cannot escape). CAUTION: Do not get any part of your body too close to the edge, as his paws will be reaching out for any thing they can find.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "power wash and rinse" which I have found to be quite effective.

6. Have someone open the door to the outside and ensure that there are no people between the toilet and the outside door.

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

8. The now-clean cat will rocket out of the toilet, and run outside where he will dry himself.

Sincerely, A DOG OWNER

J

justhangn

bad-cat.jpg

D

dems4me

Originally posted by appyday
I hear appyday is about the only one that grooms cats and is the cheapest I am sure...but I dont know where to find her :shrug:

Yeahhh!!!! There you are!!!!! Could you groom him for me? Remember he's rather feral and would more than likely scratch -- but then again he is turning into a big wuss and momma's boy lately. Also, he could have kitty diseases and I'd hate to have him get any of your's sick with anything. How much would you charge to bath a tiger?

James White

Have a nuisance?Im 4 hire
Need a bit a clarrification here,This is a "stray cat " ?

And you have been letting be around and eat with your cats you have inside ??

Hello6

Princess of Mean
You do know that FIV/Feline Leukemia is spread through the drool, thus having the cats eat out of the same bowls before the cat is tested isn't a good idea. Yikes for you, hope I'm just being an alarmist and nothing bad is spread.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Hello6
You do know that FIV/Feline Leukemia is spread through the drool, thus having the cats eat out of the same bowls before the cat is tested isn't a good idea. Yikes for you, hope I'm just being an alarmist and nothing bad is spread.

thanks sorry I forgot to mention that all of my cats are all current with the rabies and feline luke shots!! nothing to worry about here. Also when I did let the two strays in (it was two during the winter) one is still staying in... anyways when I let them in the one had a runny nose and sneezes and I gave him antibiotics and he's better. Also, I have managed while he was in to test him for feline luk and give him a shot --so he is free of it as well. I was referring to needing shots as in rabies shot, etc...

D

dems4me

WHOA.................back up...no vaccine is 100% and there is NOT one for FIV...aids.....I would never let a cat near mine without a current FELV and FIV test....then quarentine for another 30 days and retest...if neg then I would introduce into the population

grooming does not bother me..I have help..do it on a day there are two of us..I have cat muzzles $20-25 if I can comb out and bath him. $25-30 if I have to shave him..call for an appt..

It was a FELV/FIV shot with something else in it. A friend did the shots for me and she has vet experience and said it should suffice for them not getting feline lukemia.:confused: If the shots don't work than why do they recommend you do it??
Now, I'm getting soo worried about my darling babies!!!:bawl: I hope they are ok:bawl: I was only trying to help the two strays.:bawl:

D

dems4me

NO

FELV/FIV combo is a test for the actual two diseases

FELV you vaccinate for but it is more then one shot..it is two given 2-3 weeks apart then one annually..

there is NOT a vaccine for FIV anyone correct me if I am wrong and point me to a product to look up. I just looked all over Revival and see nothing to support the such.

Most upper respitories you can not vaccinate for so you may still end up with sickly animals..sorry I hope you do not...

Thanks for the info. I get my stuff from Jeffers, pet meds and revival. Also.... hmmm let me pm this place to you.

James White

Have a nuisance?Im 4 hire
Be careful buying ANY pet meds online,most are not approved for use in USA.There are a few vacs out there from other countries that many sell,but most are taking your money,At this point in time,unless I have not received an update there is no vac out there Appy.

D

dems4me

show me a FIV vaccine...........................

Sorry I think I'm getting my words a little mixed -- its not a vacine - its a shot that I have to give every year. What would that be called?

D

dems4me

:rolleyes: shot is a vaccine...and FIV can be detected threw a test but there is NO way to protect from getting FIV (aids) other then non exposure..

Thanks -- I'm not trying to be funny or anything but WHY does the vet do these shots if it doesn't work? Are they just fleecing people? I totally agree and understand the aids and FIV concept -- both are rhetroviruses so what you are saying does make a lot of sense. I was just wonder why the vet does this if they know it won't work?

D

dems4me

Dems you are not understanding..there is a shot/vaccine for Felv/leukemia it is effective...there is no shot/vaccine for FIV there for it could not be effective...you are not understanding what I am saying.

Obviously:crazy: LOL!!! I'll figure out what it is and try to get back and post tonight or this weekend. I'm outta here!!!

D

dems4me

WHOA.................back up...no vaccine is 100% and there is NOT one for FIV...aids.....I would never let a cat near mine without a current FELV and FIV test....then quarentine for another 30 days and retest...if neg then I would introduce into the population

grooming does not bother me..I have help..do it on a day there are two of us..I have cat muzzles $20-25 if I can comb out and bath him. $25-30 if I have to shave him..call for an appt..

Hi Appy -- here's what the shots say on the cover 25x1 Dose Vials of Vaccine Fioles de vaccin

Then it says "for veterinary use only/Pour usage veterinaire seulement", etc

Then it say Feline Leukemia - Rhinotracheitis-Calici-Panleukopenia-Chlamydia Psittaci Vaccine... and the the French version... later follwed by "Eclipse*4+FeLV"
The vials say "Feling Leukemia Vaccine - Killed Virus" then it says "Fevaxyn*FeLV -- Schering-Plough -- Animal Health" -- Will this work?

D

dems4me

you got some forign a$$ vaccine..anyway a 4 way plus FELV...so you got a DISTEMPER...UPPERRESPITORY AND A LEUKEMIA vaccine/shot......NOT FIV/aids...did you give more then one? they as a kitten get one every 3-4 weeks till they have had 3 shots then yearly after that...

I looked at my 50 dose box of FEL-O-VAX IV (same as what you got but by Fort Dodge)...it is in all english

If I'm understanding all of this correctly as most times I don't on the forums:wink: You are saying -- that I have the vaccine to prevent HIV but not AIDS. I wasn't aware that you can get AIDS without having HIV first. Thereby if you come up with a vaccine that prevents HIV (the rhetrovirus that causes aids) you wouldn't have to worry about AIDS so why would I need a shot to prevent AIDS if I'm using the 4way too which prevents the Leukemia - FELV????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :frown:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by dems4me
If I'm understanding all of this correctly as most times I don't on the forums:wink: You are saying -- that I have the vaccine to prevent HIV but not AIDS. I wasn't aware that you can get AIDS without having HIV first. Thereby if you come up with a vaccine that prevents HIV (the rhetrovirus that causes aids) you wouldn't have to worry about AIDS so why would I need a shot to prevent AIDS if I'm using the 4way too which prevents the Leukemia - FELV????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :frown:

The vaccine you have has nothing to do with HIV or Aids.