Cats...

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
What are the laws and such for cat's in those parts?

I have seen strange mention of cat leash laws in parts of the country. Also, tags with rabies shot dates? Etc...

I should be moving there soon and just want a heads up on what I need to have done to my pet when I get there.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Ah, more Texan transplants. A fine thing indeed!

Depending upon which county or town you settle within, the rules vary slightly, but generally it's advisable to keep your cat indoors (as Calvert County, and most of St. Mary's have cat "leash laws").

Those, of course, are a technicality in most neighborhoods; although with the population around here I would be very wary of letting my cat outside---it's terrible what some heathens do for "fun" around these parts...:burning:

If your cat DOES go outside, you would probably want to consider purchasing a safety collar and keeping her rabies/lost ID tag on her at a minimum---microchipping is even better (you can get it done for $40).

Hope that was helpful---always good to import more cat lovers :biggrin:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Thanks for the info. We don't have microchiping down here that I am aware of. Implanted into skin?

I am looking to either live in the Solomons Island or California area, probably -- if that helps any. Possibly the Great Mills -- I really wont know more till I get out there this weekend and see it.

Poor cat will be disappointed for a bit, I am sure. We have a house and nice yard here. He roams the neighborhood withoutr trouble. There we will probably start with a townhome till we decide where and if we want a house there. I can't imagine him suffering through a leash, but I could give it a shot (on of those days he is a little to uppity :biggrin: ).

However, he will have to tolerate it. He doesn't get a choice in the move.

My wife and two kids will enjoy it, I am sure. If not, I can leash them, too.

spinner

If the cat really objects to being stuck inside I saw some very fine pet strollers today so you can wheel your pet around the neighborhood. A little pricey at $189 but it'll keep him safe.