So, how old/dangerous is a 10-12 inch copperhead

glhs837

Power with Control
Found one in the garage last night, gloved up, pinned it with a pry bar, grabbed it and broke it, tossed it in the woods. Gave forth a few drops of venom.

somdcelt

I have had Copperheads for years around the house the one layed out side in my front garden every day for years never had any issues with them at all. Most are dry bites if they do bite most will just slither away when they hear you coming

Now we had 10 babys few years back they are nasty they bite and inject venom there venom is pretty strong , they have yellow tip on the end of there tail they are about 10 to 12 inches ,we scooped them up and took them away to wooded area that no one lives around

I havent seen any around the house at all this summer

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, I think the ground rule is going to be if they stay in their habitat, I will leave them alone. But entering the house/garage, that sort of thing needs to be discouraged. :duel:

So I read about this dry bite thing. Is that like a warning shot across the bow, if you keep attacking after that, then its venom time? Would make sense, venom is a resource, not to be wasted unless the threat warrants it, I suppose.

Roxie04

My doxie got bit by one last summer...........thank god it was a dry bite. I was standing about 5 feet away when i heard her yelp, never saw the snake. But the 2 holes in her side told what happened.

Ponytail

The little ones like you found are more dangerous than the big ones, only because they are more likely to strike. The small ones strike out at almost anything.

The larger ones are more likely to let anything that they don't consider to be "food" to pass right on by, unless you disturb them or step on them.

I've had several large ones at my house over the years in the 3 foot range, that had EVERY opportunity to take me out, and they didn't.

I leave them alone. If they are someplace I don't want them to be, I move them or give them a minute to move themselves.

They are actually good to have around, and aren't all that deadly.

Here's a picture of one that I took. This one should have bit me. He was in a wood pile that I was moving. Saw him when I picked up a log. He had several chances to bite me, but just watched. So I afforded him the same. I just watched him, and eventually he moved off into the woods by himself.

Copperhead in June - Southern Maryland Online Photo Gallery

Last edited:

CrashTest

The little ones like you found are more dangerous than the big ones, only because they are more likely to strike. The small ones strike out at almost anything.

The larger ones are more likely to let anything that they don't consider to be "food" to pass right on by, unless you disturb them or step on them.

That.

Plus the fact that the young ones can't control their venom output like an adult and they tend to blow their wad with one bite.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me

I've had several large ones at my house over the years in the 3 foot range, that had EVERY opportunity to take me out, and they didn't.

I leave them alone. If they are someplace I don't want them to be, I move them or give them a minute to move themselves.

They are actually good to have around, and aren't all that deadly.

Here's a picture of one that I took. This one should have bit me. He was in a wood pile that I was moving. Saw him when I picked up a log. He had several chances to bite me, but just watched. So I afforded him the same. I just watched him, and eventually he moved off into the woods by himself.

Copperhead in June - Southern Maryland Online Photo Gallery

Ah H*ll No :killingme