Infant To Teacher Ratio At Daycare

KDENISE977

Does anyone know the legal maximum allowed infant to daycare teachers that is allowed? I like my daycare, but when we started it was 3 or 4 infants to 2 teachers, now they've added 3 more infants in the last 2 weeks alone? I'm curious as to the ratio that is allowed? They have added a teacher "aid", but still I'm scared that the personal attention is going to suffer :-(

snuzzy

I believe MD is 3 to 1, DC, when I worked there was 3.5 to 1. It seems your daycare, with the added aide is more than meeting the requirement. I found it "doable" when I worked in infant care because each infant had their own schedule and they didn't all need attention at the same time. I'd suggest "pop-in" visits, when you can, may make you feel better.

mamaof1

regulations

IMO - You always have to go with your "gut" as to how you think your child is being cared for. That is your best indicator.

Here is the website for the Child Care Info:

Child Care Regulations

Website for the Regulations (for center based child care):

http://www.marylandpublicschools.or...EC-546C5641F978/27794/Sub16CTRamend032111.pdf

You will want to look under: COMAR 13A.16.08 Child Supervision, .03 Group Size and Staffing. That should give you the info you are looking for.

Good Luck

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
I believe MD is 3 to 1, DC, when I worked there was 3.5 to 1. It seems your daycare, with the added aide is more than meeting the requirement. I found it "doable" when I worked in infant care because each infant had their own schedule and they didn't all need attention at the same time. I'd suggest "pop-in" visits, when you can, may make you feel better.

Yes it's 3 to 1 so the daycare is in compliance but I agree with you. If the OP feels concerned at all, dropping by unannounced will either make her feel better or will show her that she needs to look for a new daycare. If there's a great staff in place who loves the babies, I'm sure they're all fine and getting lots of attention.