Heart Murmurs in Infants

pelers

Have an appointment today with a pediatric cardiologist for my Junior Sprout. At his 9-month checkup his pediatrician said he had a heart murmur :bawl: He also stressed it was probably nothing to be worried about, that it was probably a transient thing that happened because he's growing so fast.

Anyone else deal with this? I'm just a nervous wreck right now.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life

I was diagnosed with a heart murmur by a military doctor many, many years ago. I always thought I had one until a few years ago when my PCP did a thorough exam and decided I did not.

Most heart murmurs are harmless and millions of people live with them.

Best of luck to you and the little one.

SoMDGirl42

Have an appointment today with a pediatric cardiologist for my Junior Sprout. At his 9-month checkup his pediatrician said he had a heart murmur :bawl: He also stressed it was probably nothing to be worried about, that it was probably a transient thing that happened because he's growing so fast.

My youngest has a heart murmur. We went through all the testing with the chest x-ray, EKG, Echocardiagram and visit with the pediatric cardiologist. Turns out it is an "innocent murmur". Most kids out grow it. She doesn't even require follow-up. She won't need antibiotics before dental appointments or anything like that.

:huggy: Yes, I was a total mess when she went through the tests as well. It's very stressful for the parents. They should have given me the EKG to see how bad the heart attack was that it gave me.

lovinmaryland

My youngest has a heart murmur. We went through all the testing with the chest x-ray, EKG, Echocardiagram and visit with the pediatric cardiologist. Turns out it is an "innocent murmur". Most kids out grow it. She doesn't even require follow-up. She won't need antibiotics before dental appointments or anything like that.

:huggy: Yes, I was a total mess when she went through the tests as well. It's very stressful for the parents. They should have given me the EKG to see how bad the heart attack was that it gave me.

:yeahthat:

We had the same thing w/ one of ours. Had to go to Childrens several times. Turned out to be an "innocent" one thank heavens! But like Somdgirl said stressed me out!!!

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I've had one child with an innocent murmur and another with a murmur due to a smaller valve. It grew as he grew, but remained smaller. He has to take antibiotics before dentistry etc. He's 20 years old now and it hasn't hindered him one bit. He's over 6 foot, healthy and fit, and smart. Don't get overly concerned yet.

Kitkatmom

My youngest had one too. Diagnosed at 5 months. It was gone by the time she turned 3. Echo show a very small "hole" that closed on it's own.

foodcritic

I have one that is innocent and all three of my daughters have them also. All innocent. I don't know if they are hereditary or not. My 10 year olds was just found this past spring. Never heard anything before and has had the same doctor for about 5 years. My motto is don't start worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. I'm sure it will be fine.

HotPinkChicken

My daughter was diagnosed with one when she was 18 months. We then saw a Cardiologists at Children's who ran the EKG and every other test. Turns out the murmur was "innocent" (which is very, very common). Subsequently, she was diagnosed with a PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosis) where a valve in her heart that clamps after birth, did not. We had to wait a year to see if she outgrew it. Meanwhile, she just had to receive a high dose of antibiotics prior to a dental treatment. A year later she still had the PDA, so it was clamped shut when she was 2 by a Cardiac Cauthurization. (I know I'm misspelling here.) That was a simple procedure. When she went back to the cardiologist a year later, everything was fine with the PDA, and even the murmur. She's 12 now and drives me nuts like a normal pre-teen. I was VERY, VERY scared back then, but knowing now what I do, I've learned the murmur wasn't something too scarey. I'm also glad she DID have it, as it lead us to the PDA.

SoMDGirl42

I doubt the replies helped with your stress, but hopefully you'll find out that the murmur is an innocent one as well. Let us know what you do find out.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I doubt the replies helped with your stress, but hopefully you'll find out that the murmur is an innocent one as well. Let us know what you do find out.

:yay:

I also had one when I was a child... have since had and EKG and all the other crap done and it was not detected.

pelers

Thank you everyone :) Hearing how common they are actually did help quite a bit. Just got back from the appointment and it was as expected, an innocent murmur. The doctor said it would probably get louder until he was 4 but it should disappear by the time he's fully grown. No follow ups necessary :huggy:

SoMDGirl42

Thank you everyone :) Hearing how common they are actually did help quite a bit. Just got back from the appointment and it was as expected, an innocent murmur. The doctor said it would probably get louder until he was 4 but it should disappear by the time he's fully grown. No follow ups necessary :huggy:

Glad to hear! :yahoo:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

I'm full grown and then some, and have always had a heart murmur. I even served in the military. Never had a problem. So don't worry mom. :huggy:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

:yahoo: Now go check YOUR blood pressure. I'm sure it's sky high after that kind of stress, I know mine would be. :killingme