Beagle questions

homeboy

My fiance and I are considering getting a beagle puppy in a couple of months. My family had one when I was a kid, but I don't really remember much about his temperament or anything. We've done some research on-line, but I'd appreciate any input.

K

Kizzy

:confused: I thought so.

You know, just a thought, they could get 2 males and name them :gossip: :biggrin:

homeboy

yeah, I've heard that too. I'll have a fenced back yard, so I don't think that will be too much of a problem. I've also heard that they tend to get fat as they get older.

Woodyspda

Great Dogs

Beagles are great as long as you are tolerant of their normal behavior. I had to be around my friends beagle for a long time before I even considered that I could handle one of my own. You need to keep the house like you would for a 2 year old. I made the mistake of leaving a bowl of leftovers out and walked out of the room. There was nothing left when I returned. I would read up on Beagles first. There is an excellent magazine you can get at Petsmart on all types of beagles. Mine happens to be fawn and white vice tricolored. She doesn't chase rabbits but tends to run after birds. Might be why she was left in the woods by her previous owner. I found her running across rte 5 and stopped to help her find her owner. Come to find out she was in the woods for over 2 weeks and was skin and bones. She initially had seperation anxiety and is pretty much over that now that I've had her for 3 months. All I can say is PATIENCE. This may be true for all dogs but I believe more so for beagles.

homeboy

Thanks. I'm getting a pretty consistent picture of what they're like. They obviously have some "issues", but all breeds do. I'll take your advice and read more about them before I take the plunge :smile:

Before you get one, let me know. A woman I work with has 2 beagles and is hoping that the next time the female goes in heat, she'll let the male get his groove on. I may be able to hook you up with a puppy.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by huntr1
Before you get one, let me know. A woman I work with has 2 beagles and is hoping that the next time the female goes in heat, she'll let the male get his groove on. I may be able to hook you up with a puppy.

Now why would she want to go and do that when there are a bazillion beagle pups out there already. :nono: :bawl:

I'd HIGHLY recommend getting two beagles rather than one. Beagles are very social animals and can be destructive when they're lonely. Believe me, two beagle pups are much easier to take care of than one that is lonely and bored.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Since it's expected of me, I'll mention that there are 3420 beagles on Petfinder in need of a home, and that doesn't even include the shelters that don't list there. 2 dogs do = 2x the fun. From what I've read and seen about beagles: They are food motivated, you must watch what you feed them. Once they get on a scent, it is hard to reign them in so training is a must. They are cuter than a bug's ear.

Vince

I love beagles. But I ended up with 2 little barking sh!tz instead. Rat terriers are great house dogs, but they bark at anything that moves. Good little security alarms for nightime. The door knob wiggles and they let you know. Then the other security system takes over. Remington 12 ga.

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
Originally posted by homeboy
My fiance and I are considering getting a beagle puppy in a couple of months. My family had one when I was a kid, but I don't really remember much about his temperament or anything. We've done some research on-line, but I'd appreciate any input.

Homeboy , we have an 11 month old beagle pup - he has to be the funniest dog we have ever had, but also the most work - from day one we learned that everything on the floor/within his reach will get CHEWED UP if he gets a hold of it ... :roll eyes: and yes, he has a voracious appetite, he begs for handouts at every meal ... those beagle eyes are hard to resist ...we noticed him getting a little chunky a few months ago so we all started bundling up and taking longer walks with him every day ... vet says he is at normal weight but we don't want to take any chances ... he never misses a meal :biggrin: he has that famous beagle bark but luckily for us only barks when really provoked ... he has boundless energy ( chases our cats every chance he gets ) but still likes to be lazy every chance he gets to sleep in :lol: and is very loveable, wants to be with us 24/7 when we are home ... his nose is constantly to the ground when he is outside but so far he doesn't run off ... he is too busy greeting us with a wagging tail at the front door to take advantage of the open door . He has the best personality, always happy . If you decide to get a beagle and have more questions feel free to PM me ...

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
this is him :

Attachments

• ourbeaglepup.jpg
    ourbeaglepup.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 107

homeboy

Well, Rane, that photo of your Beagle pretty much sealed the deal with my fiance! She passed right over the stuff about the chewing, barking, and begging :biggrin: