Getting Packages Delivered with UPS

pilot

I have a problem and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and what to do about it.

Recently, UPS has stopped delivering packages to my house. They leave a sticker that specifies that someone has to physically be there in order for them to leave a package. (In the past, I just had to leave a signature, but I didn't have to be there in person). I called and was told:

#1) It's up the driver's discretion
#2) They won't deliver to my house because about a year ago, I made a claim because a package that UPS had claimed to have delivered never arrived.
#3) In cases such as the above, the driver is held responsible and must pay for the package himself.

Now keep in mind, I've been at the same address for eight years, and in all that time, I've only had one or two packages go missing. I get packages delivered to my home several times a week and there is never a problem. For all I know, the package I made the claim for was left at the wrong address--but now, I'm the one who has to suffer for it.

I can't blame the UPS drivers if they don't want to be held responsible for lost packages. It seems to me that UPS is ultimately placing the burden on the customer.

I also called up some of the mail order places (e.g., amazon.com), to request that they not use UPS any more when shipping to my address, and they say there is NO WAY they can specify in advance how a package will be shipped.

I can't be at home to accept packages during the day as I work for a living. Nor could I ask a friend or a neighbor since they all work, too. I also don't want to have to drive to the UPS Center in Waldorf, which is over an hour from my home.

Has anyone else had similar problems with UPS? What do I do about this?

dustin

UAIOE
Send it to a friends house. Unless your billing and shipping address has to be the same. Then your hosed :ohwell:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Quit ordering soo much junk:lol:

J/K like IM said she does, can you have it delivered to your work?

pilot

My work place won't allow me to have personal packages delivered.

As for finding a friend:
#1) I don't want to have to ask a friend to do this on a regular basis (and they all work, too).
#2) The same thing has happened to several friends and they don't live anywhere close to me. I suspect that this is going to be an increasing problem. Since UPS is holding the drivers responsible, I expect most drivers will not want to leave the packages.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Originally posted by pilot
My work place won't allow me to have personal packages delivered.

What's their issue with it? I would imagine that if you're not opening the item and playing with it at work, it shouldn't be a big deal. :confused:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by Chasey_Lane
What's their issue with it? I would imagine that if you're not opening the item and playing with it at work, it shouldn't be a big deal. :confused:
What happens if something gets lost at work before it gets to him. I'm sure the job doesn't want that hassle either. Plus if everyone were having packages delivered, the people who handle the mail will be too busy to do their own work. It all depends on how big the office is.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
My UPS driver certainly isn't worried about being held responsible for leaving stuff. If I don't see him pull up, he drops the stuff and is halfway back to the truck before I can get to the door.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by Chasey_Lane
What's their issue with it? I

I worked in the s&r dept. for a contractor for a little while and all deliveries had to come through that dept., thus if you had people receiving personal packages at work it meant that one of the other employees had to sign for it and then open it, then track down the owner and confirm it was a personal item and not a work related item.

ceo_pte

they always leave them at my house... no questions asked... sometimes they put them around back, sometimes not...

rebeka

Other ideas

Is there any way you could have a larged locked box near your door that your UPS driver knows the combination to? Or maybe a hidden key?

Is there a place like Mailboxes in Wildewood that can handle UPS deliveries for you?