Calvert County seems family freindly

steppinthrax

We moved from Baltimore to CC. It seems every weekend there is some event that is family oriented. Annemarie Gardens had artscape and there are a lot of events sponsored by the optimist club and mariner museum. Why does such a large city like Baltimore have barely anything to do for families.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
We moved from Baltimore to CC. It seems every weekend there is some event that is family oriented. Annemarie Gardens had artscape and there are a lot of events sponsored by the optimist club and mariner museum. Why does such a large city like Baltimore have barely anything to do for families.

I agree, they do a lot in Calvert and SMC for families. We've been here 4 years and love it! I was born/raised up in NY (Long Island), then lived in DC for 2 years. We have a 2.5 year old son and I've been taking advantage of all that Calvert offers for kids to do. It's a low crime/safe area to raise a family, which makes it much more enjoyable for me to take him out to events. Sure beats living near the ghetto, doesn't it? :buddies:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
We love Calvert as well. I could say why I think Baltimore doesn't do family stuff, but it wouldn't be nice, so I'll keep my opinion to myself.

steppinthrax

We love Calvert as well. I could say why I think Baltimore doesn't do family stuff, but it wouldn't be nice, so I'll keep my opinion to myself.

I think most of the reasons are....

1. In Baltimore you have a higher population of families that are "non-traditional" (i.e. single female households, bf/gf and child, children with no parents etc....)

2. Medium HH income of Baltimore is much lower than CC. Therefore you have a much higher population of Blue Colar workers who work on Saturday and Sunday. While in CC most of your workers or federal employees who are off on those days.

3. Most of Balto schools are of poor quality and some areas of the city are uninhabitable and/or have a high crime rate. People of those groups living in those areas don't understand/nor value education.