Holiday gifts/tipping at day care

KDENISE977

It is permitted to tip your childs daycare teachers around the holiday? I was going to give gift cards to my sons teachers but I wasn't sure what the rule on that was??

thanks !!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
It is permitted to tip your childs daycare teachers around the holiday? I was going to give gift cards to my sons teachers but I wasn't sure what the rule on that was??

thanks !!

I think the rule is: if you want to tip and have the means to do so, no harm done.

herbivore2

Yes

thanks !!

I am sure they would appreciate anything you want to give. I can tell you as a teacher and former day care worker that gift cards to Staples and Michaels are always appreciated.

KWAK

When mine was in daycare I gave her caregivers $25 Visa gift cards to do with as they pleased. Didn't want to tell them where to shop or eat, but wanted them to know my appreciation for being there when I couldn't be.

KDENISE977

THANKS for the advice, I work at a credit union so I was just going to pick up some Visa gift cards for them.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
THANKS for the advice, I work at a credit union so I was just going to pick up some Visa gift cards for them.

I used to run a before/after school program and many parents would give holiday gifts to the staff. VISA gift cards were always appreciated by everyone. They can use them anywhere, for anything.

drivingdaisy

The thought always counts, but just to let some parents know.... home-baked goods usually just get thrown away. Because teachers are worried about how much the children helped they are often referred to as booger biscuits. I never cared though whether or not I got a gift from a family or what the gift was, it was just nice to be appreciated.

eons1006

The thought always counts, but just to let some parents know.... home-baked goods usually just get thrown away. Because teachers are worried about how much the children helped they are often referred to as booger biscuits. I never cared though whether or not I got a gift from a family or what the gift was, it was just nice to be appreciated.

I will keep that in mind this year when giving to my daycare. However most *not all* parents have enough common sense and good hygiene practices not to allow their children to help but so much. Some parents cannot afford to buy gifts or to give gift cards, I am sure they would probably also appreciate knowing in advance not to waste their time or money baking anything because it will end up in the trash.
To answer the OP I believe it is allowed at most daycare centers I know the center I have been using for almost 6 years has never objected to being given gifts at Christmas time. I have usually given boxes of Chocolate & cash.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I will keep that in mind this year when giving to my daycare. However most *not all* parents have enough common sense and good hygiene practices not to allow their children to help but so much. Some parents cannot afford to buy gifts or to give gift cards, I am sure they would probably also appreciate knowing in advance not to waste their time or money baking anything because it will end up in the trash.
To answer the OP I believe it is allowed at most daycare centers I know the center I have been using for almost 6 years has never objected to being given gifts at Christmas time. I have usually given boxes of Chocolate & cash.

We came across this phenomenon at a school festival.. ALL the store bought goods were going fast, but none of the homemade stuff was being taken.. and then you looked around the school at the attendees.

If there was the SLIGHTEST chance that one of the less than desirable families made something you REALLY didn't want it. Risk avoidance was to take the store bought cookies and cakes over the REALLY good looking home baked goods.

BG is a VERY good cook, and makes some wonderful cakes, cookies and desserts, but nobody would pick her baked goods. Next year I suggested she make up placards for hers so people would know it was HER product. Not as an advertisement for business, but to let people know of the quality and give them the assurance that they know exactly who made it.

drivingdaisy

There are 3 things I remember getting for different holidays, birthdays, end of the year etc... one was a gift card for an hour long massage (at a spa, not from the parent, haha), a card from a mom where she wrote on every inch of the card to tell me how much she appreciated me, and this cute card made from pictures of one of my students (she wrote thank you on asphalt and then sat next to it in different positions and made different faces). More often than not teachers and others in childcare only hear from parents when something is going wrong, so to hear about things that are going right can mean so much.

terbear1225

I guess this must vary by age group. I have never heard anyone say anything about it where I work but I guess it's not as much of a concern in high school