Lawn Care

K-Lady

Recently purchased a house and am unfamiliar with certain aspects of lawn care. When we moved in, it was obvious these people had put a lot of work into having a nice lawn. Like most, it has browned over the winter. I would like some advice on what you're supposed to do and at what time of year to maintain a nice lawn. Is there something we should be putting on it now? Fertilizer? Would appreciate any advice!

Thanks for humoring me! :biggrin:

Vince

Is your lawn completely brown and is it still thick and kind of springy? If so you have zoysa grass. Great stuff except it turns completely brown in the winter. In the summer it's thick and soft.
If you have green mixed in there's no tell what is planted. Around this time of year, and I do this for my own lawn, put down lime. I have around a half acre and put down around 12 50 lb. bags, but I put extra in the garden and till it in. You can't put too much lime down. Get about 5 bags of 5-10-10 fertilizer and around 2 bags of 40-0-0 (nitrogen). Spread the nitrogen thin unless you want to be mowing grass twice a week. It's cheaper if you buy it from some place like the tobacco growers. If you go to Lowes and buy the fancy brand name stuff it'll cost you an arm and a leg. And if you look on the bag it'll say the same thing (40-0-0). The numbers mean the amounts of Nitrogen, pottash and something else I can't remember right now.

K-Lady

Thanks Vince. Well, I think there may be a tiny bit of green mixed in here and there, but it's brown for the most part. It is definitely a thick (thin blades though), soft, fine in texture, grass. We only have a 1/3 acre lot.

When the weather starts warming, how often is it necessary to water?

K-Lady

Oh yeah... and what exactly does the lime do for it... just outta curiosity? (Trying to learn all I can)

Vince

Originally posted by K-Lady
Thanks Vince. Well, I think there may be a tiny bit of green mixed in here and there, but it's brown for the most part. It is definitely a thick (thin blades though), soft, fine in texture, grass. We only have a 1/3 acre lot.

When the weather starts warming, how often is it necessary to water?
I don't water anything, but the garden. If I can't eat it I won't water it. Usually there's enough rain not to worry about it and if there's a drought you won't have to worry anyway. Zoysa is a pretty hardy grass anyway. It doesn't require alot of care. Wish I had it in my lawn, but you have to plant it in plugs and it takes a few years to establish a good lawn.

jeff113

lime raises your ph balance.. if you have moss in you yard then it's helpful.. Normally if you have a lawn care company the do a soil test.. the ph should be around 6.. they do a fertilze program and if the ph needs to be raised then you add lime..you CAN put too much lime.