Guinea Hens - Need some advice

Pondiki

I have a couple of adult Guinea Hens that I raised to wander around my front yard and eat ticks and other bugs. It seems they have taken a liking to my neighbor's yard, looking in their windows and generally hanging out on their front porch. When they do this, you know what comes out of their hind ends ;-) Before I have to find them a new home, does anyone have advice on how I can keep them in my yard? I don't want to keep them confined to a pen because that will be defeating the purpose of having them to eat bugs. Also, if I do have to rehome them, are there any Guinea lovers out there? Thank you in advance for the advice.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I have mine in a pen right now. When mine were out, they followed me everywhere on the farm. They also cruised the neighbors yard, can't tell Guinea's what to do cause they don't listen. I can take them if you feel the need to get rid of them. I only have females, do you have a male?

Pondiki

I have mine in a pen right now. When mine were out, they followed me everywhere on the farm. They also cruised the neighbors yard, can't tell Guinea's what to do cause they don't listen. I can take them if you feel the need to get rid of them. I only have females, do you have a male?

Thank you for your reply. I guess I have to accept the fact that these Guinea's are going to do what they want to do and visit the neighbors. I'll put up a pen for them today and only let them out when I'm in the yard. I have a few acres but we are not in a farming community. If I continue to have problems with them and need to find them a new home, I'll let you know. BTW - one is male and the other female. They are gray speckled.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
Mine are gray speckled too. Good luck with them and if you do decide to find them a new home, I would be happy to help you out!

Pondiki

If you scattered some feed in your yard, wouldn't they tend to stay there?[/QUOTE

I read your suggestion earlier today and tried it out. I put the feed around the yard and they did eat. Because they are very social, they start looking for people when they have eaten the feed and are no longer hungry.

They are very social and want to be near people. They go to extremes to stay with you. They run after the riding lawn mover. run after my ATV, they have even jumped up on the tailgate of my truck and have taken a wobbly ride down my driveway holding on with their feet and flapping their wings for balance.

At present I have them in a chain link dog pen and let them out when I am outside. I'm hoping they have forgotten about the neighbors and that their habit of visiting has been broken. I will not trust them to be outside by themselves all day and not visit the neighbors. I cannot risk having them jump on their $40K car and scratch the paint job.

I'll try this routine for a bit and see how they do. If it doesn't work out, I'll contact BeenSpur'd. I wonder if there is a market for invisible fences and collars for Guineas ;-)