Ear Tubes

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Anybody have this procedure done for their child? My girl is going on her 4th ear infection of the year and the poor thing is just miserable. Seems like she's always on an antibiotic. Her doc has recommended tubes if she develops another infection, but I'm worried about the actual procedure. Is this an outpatient procedure, or is it something she'll have to be admitted for? If anybody can provide me with a bit more info, I'd really appreciate it!

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by ememdee19
Anybody have this procedure done for their child? My girl is going on her 4th ear infection of the year and the poor thing is just miserable. Seems like she's always on an antibiotic. Her doc has recommended tubes if she develops another infection, but I'm worried about the actual procedure. Is this an outpatient procedure, or is it something she'll have to be admitted for? If anybody can provide me with a bit more info, I'd really appreciate it!
My friends daughter had them put in a few months ago and it made a huge difference! She had to stay overnight because her infection was so bad and they didn't now it. She had to go back for 2 follow ups and hasn't had a problem since.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
tys_mommy's son has had several sets of tubes - I'm sure she'll be more than happy to tell you all about it!

JabbaJawz

Be about it

My chap was very prone to ear infections as well, and they mentioned tubes. She usually ends up with one once every 3 mos., although as she's gotten older they've slowed up a bit. No tubes for us, though.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I think tubes are too common a thing now. Plus I heard somewhere the other day that they're now saying that antibiotics aren't effective for ear infections for the most part. Most ear infections should clear by themselves. Have you ever let her go a couple days on her own when she gets one to see how she does? Noah's had a couple of ear infections and we have to play the antibiotic roller coaster to find one that works. By the time it's finally cleared up I don't know if it's because his immune system did it or if it was actually the antibiotic.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I had them at age 12.

They're a pain the arse if your child likes to swim, cuz he'll have to remember ear plugs, both in the pool and the bath. Best time to get them is NOT in the summer.

However, after I got them, I didn't get another ear infection until college. But in the past few years I've been getting them yearly again.

K

Kizzy

I chose not to get tubes, even though it was highly recommended by 2 doctor's and discouraged by another doctor. We were in the doctor's office every 2-3 weeks with an ear infection for about 18-24 months, each time BOTH ears were infected, well guess what? He grew out of it.

TripleJ

I had the procedure done on my son when he was around three years old. I understand your fears and concerns. When he was carried into surgery it was one of the most anxious times of my life. The surgery was very benefical and we were out in the same day. At age three my son had a hard time pronouncing words or talking at that level. After the surgery, and within a few weeks he was talking up a storm, and pronouncing words much better. It seems that the constant ear infections where causing him not to hear as he should. I am very greatful to the Doctor and very glad that we had it done.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by IM4Change
I chose not to get tubes, even though it was highly recommended by 2 doctor's and discouraged by another doctor. We were in the doctor's office every 2-3 weeks with an ear infection for about 18-24 months, each time BOTH ears were infected, well guess what? He grew out of it.

That's what I say too. My mom and ex MIL are both freaks. If the poor kid sneezes they want me to rush him to the dr's. I'll let him have a runny nose or whatever. If he's running a low fever I let him run it because it means the body is fighting off infection. But if he's reasonable sick for days or running a high fever I take him in. I think he likes being sick cause he gets more treats. If he's got a low fever it's automatically pop cicle parties to keep him hydrated and gatorade and sprite which he loves!

K

Kizzy

I think the tubes help the parents more than the kids, because they are a PITA. If you wait out the constant infections, they just may outgrow it, instead of years and years of hassle with the tubes. JMO

I had ear infections all the time as a child until I was about 10. I have not had an ear infection since. Children, most likely, will grow out of it. The adults I know who had tubes still get ear infections. :shrug: I'm not a doctor, I just play one here. :wink:

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Thanks for the info, everybody!

My girl is 2 and as soon as the infection clears up in one ear, another starts forming in the other ear. It's like a never ending cycle....kinda like what IM4 mentioned.

I've never even considered not using meds because the pain is so horrible for her. I'm just not sure if I should let her grow out of them or go ahead and do it.

K

Kizzy

Thanks for the info, everybody!

My girl is 2 and as soon as the infection clears up in one ear, another starts forming in the other ear. It's like a never ending cycle....kinda like what IM4 mentioned.

I've never even considered not using meds because the pain is so horrible for her. I'm just not sure if I should let her grow out of them or go ahead and do it.

Yes, give Motrin or Advil for the pain and whatever meds the doctor gives you. Also, try getting her to eat some yogurt. They make real tasty yogurt for kids, make sure you give a multi-vitamin everyday. Also, one more thing, do you think this could be an allergy? You may want to try Alavert(sp?), it is OTC and chewable. It seemed once I put my son on Alavert, his ear infections disappeared. :shrug:

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by IM4Change
Yes, give Motrin or Advil for the pain and whatever meds the doctor gives you. Also, try getting her to eat some yogurt. They make real tasty yogurt for kids, make sure you give a multi-vitamin everyday. Also, one more thing, do you think this could be an allergy? You may want to try Alavert(sp?), it is OTC and chewable. It seemed once I put my son on Alavert, his ear infections disappeared. :shrug:

We always give Motrin for the pain and she's always been a big yogurt eater, so there's no problem there.

Not sure if it's allergies, but her doc has never mentioned it. My allergies have never bothered me, but her father's always have. Wonder if it could be a genetic type of thing?

donbarzini

Step son had it done at age 5 and worked wonders! Had at least half a dozen infections a year til the tubes. None after.

Surgeon explained it thusly:

At a young age their ear canals are below the level of their sinus cavity, so when they get a cold and passages drain it goes directly to ears(ain't gravity a b!tch?). As they grow the ear canals gradually rise above the level of the sinus passages and problem(usually) corrects itself. Good Luck

Toxick

Splat
My son was going to get them, but it seems his raging ears finally gave up.

His best friend, however, had the same problem (no connection - neither had met until both their ear problems were long gone), and had the tubes done. Unfortunately, he has some speech problems now because he didn't get the procedure done until after he was well into learning to speak.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by Toxick
My son was going to get them, but it seems his raging ears finally gave up.

His best friend, however, had the same problem (no connection - neither had met until both their ear problems were long gone), and had the tubes done. Unfortunately, he has some speech problems now because he didn't get the procedure done until after he was well into learning to speak.

Poor baby!

Fortunately, these infections don't seem to be impairing her speach. My baby's a definite Chatty Cathy and doesn't seem to have a problem in the speach dept.! You never know, though.

Hey Em...

It's been my understanding that the ear tubes has been deemed one of the most common "unnecessary surgeries" and is now being discouraged whenever possible. Surely, it's understandable that the news is late coming to our area, but I have heard that health officials are now urging parents to investigate thoroughly and get second and third opinions before even considering the surgery.

I read quite a bit about that not too long ago; I'll see if I can find the information I heard.

Good luck!

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Re: Hey Em...

Originally posted by justin anemone
It's been my understanding that the ear tubes has been deemed one of the most common "unnecessary surgeries" and is now being discouraged whenever possible. Surely, it's understandable that the news is late coming to our area, but I have heard that health officials are now urging parents to investigate thoroughly and get second and third opinions before even considering the surgery.

I read quite a bit about that not too long ago; I'll see if I can find the information I heard.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, JA. If you find any info, please send it my way.

Her doc said she wanted the tubes to be the last resort, so I'm crossing my fingers. She also said that after this infection clears up, she was going to try a shot (can't remember the name, it starts with an 'R') if another infection develops before going to tubes.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Hey Em, also try cutting way down on the milk products. At 2 they don't need as much as they did before. Milk makes the mucus membraines more active and ear infections being part of a sinus drainage problem it can only help. If Noah starts getting congested I take him off regular milk and put him on Soy. They make it in flavors so he doesn't mind and it's easy to find at the grocery store. Since I've been doing that he seems to clear up much faster.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by pixiegirl
Hey Em, also try cutting way down on the milk products. At 2 they don't need as much as they did before. Milk makes the mucus membraines more active and ear infections being part of a sinus drainage problem it can only help. If Noah starts getting congested I take him off regular milk and put him on Soy. They make it in flavors so he doesn't mind and it's easy to find at the grocery store. Since I've been doing that he seems to clear up much faster.

Jay would die if I took away her milk! She absolutely LOVES it! Milk and water are basically the only 2 things she drinks. Every once in a while we'll give her choc. milk as a treat, but that doesn't happen very often. I'm very happy that she loves it so much, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try cutting back when she gets sick. :ohwell: