Infant walkers on hard wood floors

KDENISE977

I have a 6 month old busy body active little Chase on my hands, I want to get him a walker, but we have new solid hardwood walnut floors that scratch SO easily,(my husband dropped a 2 liter bottle of soda on the floor and it dented), does any one know of any walkers on the market that won't scratch a soft hardwood floor? (and before anyone mentions it, NO we weren't told how walnut is one of the softest hardwood floors, we were sold a floor.)

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
A floor refinishing is in your future. Accept it now and enjoy your kid.

I have a nice mahogany table, oil finish, the wood seems to glow. A few nights ago my son was sitting at the table drawing pictures and I hear "Oops, hey Dad, will this come off?"
He had been using permanent markers, both black and red and they bled through the paper onto to the table.
:cds:
When I calmed down, I told him were ere going to learn about sand paper and how to apply an oil finish.

KDENISE977

A floor refinishing is in your future. Accept it now and enjoy your kid.

I have a nice mahogany table, oil finish, the wood seems to glow. A few nights ago my son was sitting at the table drawing pictures and I hear "Oops, hey Dad, will this come off?"
He had been using permanent markers, both black and red and they bled through the paper onto to the table.
:cds:
When I calmed down, I told him were ere going to learn about sand paper and how to apply an oil finish.

SADLY we had to have them refinished before they were ever even done... the contractor was "nice" enough to split the cost of a refinish as he had NO idea solid walnut was that soft . AND I have 2 dogs who scratch them too...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I have a 6 month old busy body active little Chase on my hands, I want to get him a walker, but we have new solid hardwood walnut floors that scratch SO easily,(my husband dropped a 2 liter bottle of soda on the floor and it dented), does any one know of any walkers on the market that won't scratch a soft hardwood floor? (and before anyone mentions it, NO we weren't told how walnut is one of the softest hardwood floors, we were sold a floor.)

A two liter bottle dented walnut?

Where did you get your flooring at? It doesn't sound like hardwood, sounds more like a cheap pine.

KDENISE977

A two liter bottle dented walnut?

Where did you get your flooring at? It doesn't sound like hardwood, sounds more like a cheap pine.

Well I promise you it's not "cheap pine", it wasn't purchased through Lumber Liquidators or discount stores or anything like that, it's not laminate, or anything cheap by any means. The honest truth is that we hired a flooring contractor in this area, this flooring contractor with "20 years of experience" admitted AFTER THE FACT he had never worked with actual walnut hardwood. We wanted it for the color variations, and that's what we got. We had no idea it would be this soft. SO, $28+K LATER...hear I am trying to figure out how to live with it.

American Black Walnut Hardwood Flooring:Awesome Wood for Hardwood Floors, or is it?

pelers

What if you got some thin foamy stuff (I'm thinking something like what they wrap electronics in, or those silly foam animal hats at the craft store) and applied that to the wheels? Thin enough so that it won't get caught, but should protect the flooring. That would also slow it down a bit... those things MOVE on hard surfaces :whistle:

KDENISE977

What if you got some thin foamy stuff (I'm thinking something like what they wrap electronics in, or those silly foam animal hats at the craft store) and applied that to the wheels? Thin enough so that it won't get caught, but should protect the flooring. That would also slow it down a bit... those things MOVE on hard surfaces :whistle:

Thats not a bad idea at all..

Vince

Put the laminate flooring in my kitchen, dinning room and down the hall. Dropped a hammer on it, no dent. Had little dogs that would slide around it with their nails and no scratches. Love that laminate hardwood flooring.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Well I promise you it's not "cheap pine", it wasn't purchased through Lumber Liquidators or discount stores or anything like that, it's not laminate, or anything cheap by any means. The honest truth is that we hired a flooring contractor in this area, this flooring contractor with "20 years of experience" admitted AFTER THE FACT he had never worked with actual walnut hardwood. We wanted it for the color variations, and that's what we got. We had no idea it would be this soft. SO, $28+K LATER...hear I am trying to figure out how to live with it.

American Black Walnut Hardwood Flooring:Awesome Wood for Hardwood Floors, or is it?

If you can afford 28k just for some flooring, I'd build an addition on the house for the rug rat to roam around in without worry :yay:

(Side note - I believe they do have walkers now that have rubber wheels rather than plastic, or maybe it was just a rubber strip around the wheels, I can't remeber, we never really used it because our kids who sit it in and look at us with that; 'really, get me the eff outta here so I can do what I want' look... :lol:)

I also kind of agree with itsbob, I know true hardwood is more prone to scratches an what not, but I have never heard of it 'denting' so easy...

And also with Vince - we went with the snap together pergo or whatever it is, #### is damn near indestructable :lmao: Parents have the same thing, between when they had their dog, my Rotti, and my sisters 2 golden retrievers, it hasn't been scratched yet :yay:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Can you trap him in one area with those foam toy room floors laid down on top of the wood? The ones that are like foam puzzle pieces..I saw some sets at ross for pretty cheap, if you have a space somewhere to trap him in. I was putting monster in "baby jail" (the play pen) she hated it, but I can trap her in the corner with a gate or two and she has no issues :shrug:

Christy

b*tch rocket

Enjoy your baby and don't worry so much about a few dings and dents on the floors. I think the blemishes on hardwood floors is what gives them character. All the scratches and scrapes I have on of my wood furniture and floors brings back a good memories of when my kids were little. They don't stay that way for long. :frown:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
There is a high-cost and removable solution, and that is laminate flooring. It stands up to everything and can be laid right on top of your hardwood flooring. I love laminate flooring for its durability, its resistance to dirt and stains, and its removable feature (NO NAILS OR SCREWS OR GLUE!!!!). It snaps together in place, just needs to be cut to length, and you need a couple of installation tools (a mallet, a block, and a bar) to make it happen.

The cost is not THAT high, but high enough to consider in comparison to having your hardwood professionally refinished a couple of times over ten years - chances are outstanding that a laminate floor is cheaper than the recurring refinishing costs.