Sand garden

Christy

b*tch rocket
I'm thinking of planting some wavy grass plants and Cannas by the pool, but instead of mulch I was thinking of using sand. Steve thinks sand will be a big pain in the azz when it comes to upkeep. Has anyone ever used sand before that could give me an idea of upkeep? :confused:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Are you sure you want sand near the pool? Wouldn't it mess up the filtration system if it were to get into the pool?

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by RoseRed
Are you sure you want sand near the pool? Wouldn't it mess up the filtration system if it were to get into the pool?

Not any worse than the general crud that gets in there from the kids I wouldn't think, but I'll have to ask my pool lady when she opens up. Thanks Rose!

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by migtig
Never used sand up here, but back home it was a staple. If you form an actual boundary, it usually stays put. Rain or a garden hose will keep it down in case "dusty gusty" weather prevails. And it rakes out real nice. Also keeps other weeds out.

Cool! Thanks! :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Christy
Not any worse than the general crud that gets in there from the kids I wouldn't think, but I'll have to ask my pool lady when she opens up. Thanks Rose!
Welcome! When's the party? :cool:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by Sharon
Cannas like a lot of water, I'd go with the mulch.

Yeah, but I've got mulch, like EVERYWHERE (whenever I actually properly maintain my yard. Last year was a half mulching year :blushing: )

Do you know when Cannas start blooming? I bought a bunch towards the end of summer last year, so I don't know when they really start to bloom.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by RoseRed
Welcome! When's the party? :cool:

Well, we normally open the pool in April. I could throw a party and we can take bets on who's brave/stupid enough to jump in that frigid water. :lol:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Do you know when Cannas start blooming?
Mine bloomed from early summer until late September if I kept them watered and fertilized properly.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by Sharon
Mine bloomed from early summer until late September if I kept them watered and fertilized properly.

AWESOME!!!! Question from a black thumb. How do you "fertilize them properly"? Also, although a bit off topic, what do I need to use to make my hydrangias (sp?) change color, and when do I put it on? :confused:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Now, another sand question, anyone know the best place to get a truck load? I want white sand.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
AWESOME!!!! Question from a black thumb. How do you "fertilize them properly"? Also, although a bit off topic, what do I need to use to make my hydrangias (sp?) change color, and when do I put it on? :confused:

The cannas I just hose down with some Miracle Grow once in a while (every few waterings).

The color of your hydrangeas depends on the PH of your soil. The more acid your soil, the more blue. If your soil is alkaline, your blooms will be pink.

To change, or speed this process along, for blue add Ironite, I've also heard of putting rusty nails around the bush.

To encourage pink, add lime. The pink will not appear right away but over time.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Christy...

...you guys just need to look at where you want the sand from a gravity standpoint. If heavy rains are gonna wash the beds out, especailly towards the pool, then you might wanna 'contour' the earth around them to either channel it away from the pool or make like a 'dike' to keep the runoff contained within the beds...which means ideally the sand is not gonna sit on top of clay.

If clay, you'll be happy that you did if you 'condition' the clay with a permeable substrate. Home Depot carries what you need.
Once 'conditioned' the contained rain water will drain pretty good down into the beds, thereby helping the cannas.

They like a heavier phosphorus feed, the middle number (IE 15-30-15...that's N-P-K...Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potasium...don't ask about the K, it's the symbol) maybe once or twice a month at label rates.

Now that I've said all that, Cannas love a lot of sun. So, scratch that idea. Unless you've pruned or lost a bunch of the cover you have, I don't think they'll do to good.

PS, you face the same issue with grasses. They like lot's of sun.

You could do some fun stuff with shade imatiens and the sand.

Impatiens flourish, not even you or Vrai could kill them, their are some dramaticaly bright colors to liven the dark feel I remember and...they're cheap. Tear them out in the fall.

Throw in some dracena spikes maybe or dusty miller and...viola.

If you wanna spend a few more bucks and get more towards that canna vision, check out some astilbes and ferns. They would look killer and, as perrenials, you do it once then maintain them.

Hostas maybe?

Pachysandra? (think care free)

Go to a garden center, tell them what you wanna do and describe the back yard, mainly how much sun and what time of day it get's it. Discuss the sand to.

You might go for some of those white architechtural pebbles to dress the top but sand should be fine for anything. Smooth peebles are pretty. Sharp ones keep the pigs and children out.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I second Sharon...

...it's aluminium nails for blue. They have these gutter nails that are like 5" long, one of them pressed into the root ball, maybe 5" from the stem, pressed in at an angle to the plant wil do the trick.