Transferring schools????

sm8

Has any one dealt with transferrring schools after a move that is in the same county but will place you in a different school district? We are dealing with this now and the child will be attending the new school after the christmas break. From calling the school I was told I would need to provide a "notarized" letter from the head of house hold that the child lives there (but I am not sure how to word it or what to write) A utility bill of the adress and a drivers license. What if you do not recieve a utility bill or if it will be a while before it comes in. Can the child just never go to school again LOL Just trying to get all of the paper work done before the break but not sure where to start.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
I was confused for a moment about why you'd need certain things.... then I remembered you told me about this... you are talking about a child moving in with his extended family, not a whole family moving, right?

Are there any documents showing that physical custody of the child is changing? Either legal guardianship is changing and there are papers documenting that, or the child's legal guardian is assigning physical custody of him to someone else. Either way, there needs to be some documentation that if this child now "belongs" to someone else. You need this paperwork for more than just school... what if he is sick or injured and needs to go to the doctor? The doctor can't treat a child without permission from the right people unless it's a life or death situation.

The school needs to see that paperwork and needs to know that the family where the child now resides is living in the right district... a simple matter if there are already other children in the house.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
The whole family is moving in so his parents will still have custody.
I'd ask one of the secretaries at the school how you should word it. They know you, they know you aren't likely to be pulling a scam. They can tell you what you need to include.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Has any one dealt with transferrring schools after a move that is in the same county but will place you in a different school district? We are dealing with this now and the child will be attending the new school after the christmas break. From calling the school I was told I would need to provide a "notarized" letter from the head of house hold that the child lives there (but I am not sure how to word it or what to write) A utility bill of the adress and a drivers license. What if you do not recieve a utility bill or if it will be a while before it comes in. Can the child just never go to school again LOL Just trying to get all of the paper work done before the break but not sure where to start.

Stop by a SMECO office and they'll provide you with the documentation you need for the new house.

SoMDGirl42

Go to the school. They have the paper there that needs to be notorized (by the homeowner) that the child is living there. At least when I did this for my granddaughter at the beginning of school, her school had the paper for me to fill out. Notorized it, and turned it back in. Done deal. Very easy.

OR

I believe the paper you need to fill out is on their website too.

AND

If the utility bills are not in the child's parents name, the homeowner utility bill works with the notorized paper from the homeowner as well.

Last edited: