Sippy Cup Drama

KDENISE977

How on earth do you get a baby(7 months) to drink from a sippy cup. Chase won't drink it, only plays with it. Every day, same scenario... daycare teachers, "Chase only plays with the cup". Am I missing something?? I'm putting juice in it, as recommended by the pediatrician and I've held it up to his mouth, and even turned it upside down so he can taste the juice. I've tried different kinds of juice, nope... just plays with the cup.

sockgirl77

How on earth do you get a baby(7 months) to drink from a sippy cup. Chase won't drink it, only plays with it. Every day, same scenario... daycare teachers, "Chase only plays with the cup". Am I missing something?? I'm putting juice in it, as recommended by the pediatrician and I've held it up to his mouth, and even turned it upside down so he can taste the juice. I've tried different kinds of juice, nope... just plays with the cup.

He is 7 months old. When he's ready he'll drink out of it. :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
7 months is a bit young to be drinking out of a sippy cup, isn't it? Or no? My baby is 25 so I don't really remember. :lol:

sockgirl77

7 months is a bit young to be drinking out of a sippy cup, isn't it? Or no? My baby is 25 so I don't really remember. :lol:

Thing 1 was 13 months before he'd use one. Thing 2 was 6 months. And Thing 3 was 9 months. Each kid is completely different.

KDENISE977

I was just going off of the hand-out they give you at the pediatrician that said start juices at 6 months and NOT to put them in a bottle... I'm new at this, all I've got is the stuff they tell me...LOL

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
It's been a while for me too, but I think 7 months is too young. Children are individuals and develop at different rates. Guidelines are just that -- guidelines! Some will do it earlier & others will do it later but most will master at some point, so relax and don't stress. If your daycare is stressing about it, that's a different issue and one that you will want to investigate further.

Resources:
Starting the cup | All Stages | Gerber

Why won't baby drink from a cup?

Sippy Cup Strategies: Simple Ways to Switch to a Big-Kid Cup

Best info:
5 Things Parents Should Know About Starting and Stopping Sippy Cups in Children

(NOTE: there are concerns about sippy cups promoting cavities and possible speech language delays so do some research & ask questions.

sockgirl77

I was just going off of the hand-out they give you at the pediatrician that said start juices at 6 months and NOT to put them in a bottle... I'm new at this, all I've got is the stuff they tell me...LOL

I've gone thru several (6 or 7) pediatricians. None of them told me to not put juice in bottles. :confused:

Babies are babies. Let them be babies.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
He's too young to get the poin. Just keep giving it to him, he will figure it out. I think juice is highly innapropriate for infants myself, but some pedes do try to push it. It has no nutritional value and it wont make him drink faster..monster drinks water like its a fine wine..so they don't need the incentive, lol. Also, some kids never drink from a sippy, no biggie. Its really just another thing to wean them from. Monster has a few sippys but drinks from a regular cup just as easily..I don't push it either way. Try a few diff kinds..or try one that has a straw, that way he just has to suck, and doesn't have to figure out how to tip it up. At 7 months, he cannot be expected to be a pro at anything but crying and sucking on a nipple. :killingme

SShewbert

What love is all about

One thing you will learn quickly, is do what is right for YOUR child.

My oldest was over a year before she would drink from a cup. My middle one was close to a year. My youngest took it the soonest. I think he was probably 6 months. But he was breastfed so there were no bottles to put juice in, so if he wanted it he had to use a cup.

doubtfull24

My son drinks from a sippy cup and has for over a month now.He only drinks water from it no juice.I just kept offering it and it finally clicked? Good luck :)

jsouthan

When my son was that age, we introduced the sippy cup, but he didn't want anything to do with the kind you had to tip up to drink. We found these little juice box sized cups with lids/straws attached. They were a great size and he would sip up through the straw without a problem. Maybe try a different type???

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
He's too young to get the poin. Just keep giving it to him, he will figure it out. I think juice is highly innapropriate for infants myself, but some pedes do try to push it. It has no nutritional value[/B][/COLOR] and it wont make him drink faster..monster drinks water like its a fine wine..so they don't need the incentive, lol. Also, some kids never drink from a sippy, no biggie. Its really just another thing to wean them from. Monster has a few sippys but drinks from a regular cup just as easily..I don't push it either way. Try a few diff kinds..or try one that has a straw, that way he just has to suck, and doesn't have to figure out how to tip it up. At 7 months, he cannot be expected to be a pro at anything but crying and sucking on a nipple. :killingme

Splan that Lucy.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Splan that Lucy.

Its all sugar :shrug: no use getting them used to sweet drinks... milk and water are all they need. Could just be me I guess, but I don't think it has any neccesary nutrition for an infant. And if you have to dilute something so it doesn't upset your kid's stomach, its probably better to just not give it. Its all the sugar of fruit, without the fiber and ability to satiate hunger.

Pushrod

Patriot
Try putting the formula or milk that they normally take in a bottle into the sippy cup and let them try that. That's how we got our little guy to switch from the bottle.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Its all sugar :shrug: no use getting them used to sweet drinks... milk and water are all they need. Could just be me I guess, but I don't think it has any neccesary nutrition for an infant. And if you have to dilute something so it doesn't upset your kid's stomach, its probably better to just not give it. Its all the sugar of fruit, without the fiber and ability to satiate hunger.

:yeahthat:

Have you tried a different type of sippy?

But to be honest, he's only 7 months old. He'll figure it out on his own, but I would use water, not juice.