Children and Strollers

meme

The Smart Hooker
I have a question I am hoping some of you parents out there can help me with. How old was your child before they stopped riding in a stroller?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by meme
How old was your child before they stopped riding in a stroller?
Depends on where we were. For short jaunts, probably 2 or 3. For major outings, like an amusement park or something, they were out of the stroller definitely by age 4.

I hate to see these little mugs of 5 or 6 being pushed around by their Mommies. It teaches them to be dependent and lazy and ruins them.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
I hate to see these little mugs of 5 or 6 being pushed around by their Mommies. It teaches them to be dependent and lazy and ruins them.

Yes. I couldn't believe the size of some of the stroller riders at Disney World. Our oldest is 2 and she wants to walk everywhere.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Depends on where we were. For short jaunts, probably 2 or 3. For major outings, like an amusement park or something, they were out of the stroller definitely by age 4.

That sounds about right! By the time my daughter was 4 we'd ditched the stroller all together. She was more interested in pushing her babies around the mall in a doll stroller at that point anyway. We did, however, end up renting a stroller when we took her and a buddy to Six Flags in October. It was a lot of walking for the 2 of them (my chick had just turned 4, and the other was close to 4), and well worth the $12 we paid.

Our 3 y.o. quit riding in the stroller about the time he could walk. We cannot keep him in any shopping carts either, unless he is tired, in which case he lays down in the basket part. When we go to BJ's, if we get the "car cart" he will ride in it most of the time, but not always. Our older boy is always willing to ride in the cart, but unless it is one of the "car carts" or one of the ones w/ the seats on the back, he has to walk.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by huntr1
Our 3 y.o. quit riding in the stroller about the time he could walk. We cannot keep him in any shopping carts either, unless he is tired, in which case he lays down in the basket part. When we go to BJ's, if we get the "car cart" he will ride in it most of the time, but not always. Our older boy is always willing to ride in the cart, but unless it is one of the "car carts" or one of the ones w/ the seats on the back, he has to walk.
:yeahthat: But the older one was 4 when we went to Disney, and he rode in a stroller because we didn't want a bunch of whining about how his legs were tired, plus that way he could fall asleep in it and we wouldn't have to stop or carry him. Under normal circumstances, he'd stopped riding in the stroller before he was 4.

one4all

Hello, My twins are 21 months old & they hardly ever use the stroller anymore. We have a wagon that is big enough for both of them and they are content in that for now.

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by meme
I have a question I am hoping some of you parents out there can help me with. How old was your child before they stopped riding in a stroller?

I don't think my oldest boy has ever ridden in a stroller. Not with any kind of regularity, anyway. The only time my two year old rides in a stroller is when we go on long walks (or in the grocery store if you count the cart-kiddie-seat as a stroller).

I'd say when they're old enough to (reasonably) keep up, get 'em outta there.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Tyler is 5 and I still use a stroller at amusement parks or zoo or soemthing like that, to carry around my shitz and plus after a long day of walking I don't want to listen to him whine. We do make him walk most of the time but after 5 hours of walking that's a lot for a little guy.

Kirsten

My oldest was out of the stroller by 3, and we got the backpack for when we were going to like a fair or festivals or something like that. When he was tired of walking we just put him in the backpack and kept going. He was walking a mile a day with me when he was 2.5 before I got pregnant with the twins.

My twins are just under 3 and for the most part are out of the strollers, btw I am selling a tandem front to back stroller if anyone is interested. I plan on renting a stroller or two if I really need to but for the most part we will use the baby backpacks and make them walk when we go out. I am a firm believer in making them walk and build up endurance rather than pushing a 60lb 5 year old.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life

Every morning when I drop my daughter off at school, I see a Mother pushing her kindergarten-age twins in a stroller. :confused:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by Chasey_Lane
Every morning when I drop my daughter off at school, I see a Mother pushing her kindergarten-age twins in a stroller. :confused:

I don't blame her. I wouldn't want to chase TWO kids around. :biggrin:

Neither of my boys were fans of strollers. I do recall that my youngest was a pain one particular day when Otter and I were at the mall. He wasn't happy in the stroller and wasn't happy walking and wasn't happy being carried. We spent $15 on an umbrella stroller and he was thrilled -- he loved the thing! I still have it in my closet 20 years later.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by cattitude
I still have it in my closet 20 years later.
psst, time to get rid of it. Even if you are waiting for grandkids to use it, it'll probably fall apart on the first try.

donbarzini

Originally posted by cmcdanal
:yeahthat: But the older one was 4 when we went to Disney, and he rode in a stroller because we didn't want a bunch of whining about how his legs were tired, plus that way he could fall asleep in it and we wouldn't have to stop or carry him. Under normal circumstances, he'd stopped riding in the stroller before he was 4.

Yeah my youngest was 5 at King's Dominion and we got the stroller so about 5:00pm he was able to take a nap so we didn't succumb to the "whinin' screamies". When the nap was done he was up and around again.