"I was scared" Boo freakin' hoo. Return the books!

A Massachusetts mom said police went too far when they paid her and her 5-year-old daughter a visit for failing to return their library books on time.

"She's 5; she didn't understand," said Shannon Benoit of her daughter, Hailey.

Police said Tuesday that an officer showed up last week at the Benoit's home in the town of Charlton to inform the family that the books were long overdue.

Hailey -- who was standing beside her mom when the officer arrived -- then burst into tears.

'Is that policeman going to arrest me?'" Benoit quoted her daughter to CNN affiliate WBZ-TV.

"I was scared," added Hailey.

Police enforcement of library lending leaves 5 year-old in tears - CNN.com

Police Chief James A. Pervier said his officers have been asked by library personnel to make similar visits to at least 13 other Charlton households over library late fees.

Officials say the police-backed crackdown has since inspired more prompt book returns among library patrons.

"We've gotten quite a bit back," said Hansen. "Even some things that weren't overdue!"

Benoit told CNN that she has since returned the overdue books, making the return trip to the library shortly after the officer's visit.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
A Massachusetts mom said police went too far when they paid her and her 5-year-old daughter a visit for failing to return their library books on time.

"She's 5; she didn't understand," said Shannon Benoit of her daughter, Hailey.

Police said Tuesday that an officer showed up last week at the Benoit's home in the town of Charlton to inform the family that the books were long overdue.

Hailey -- who was standing beside her mom when the officer arrived -- then burst into tears.

'Is that policeman going to arrest me?'" Benoit quoted her daughter to CNN affiliate WBZ-TV.

"I was scared," added Hailey.

Police enforcement of library lending leaves 5 year-old in tears - CNN.com

Police Chief James A. Pervier said his officers have been asked by library personnel to make similar visits to at least 13 other Charlton households over library late fees.

Officials say the police-backed crackdown has since inspired more prompt book returns among library patrons.

"We've gotten quite a bit back," said Hansen. "Even some things that weren't overdue!"

Benoit told CNN that she has since returned the overdue books, making the return trip to the library shortly after the officer's visit.
Seems like there is a better way to utilize the police force other than to collect overdue library books and fees.

Just have someone go to the court clerk and file a small claims summons.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Well I do feel bad for the little girl, she isn't capable of being responsible for returning library books at 5. It would be kind of sad to see a little girl so afraid over something she has zero control over. It is certainly her mother's fault, though (or I guess her father's since he was the one with all the late fees.) It is kind of annoying that they are trying to pretend the police were called over a 5 year old and her "how to tie your shoes book" when that clearly isn't the case.

Well I do feel bad for the little girl, she isn't capable of being responsible for returning library books at 5. It would be kind of sad to see a little girl so afraid over something she has zero control over. It is certainly her mother's fault, though (or I guess her father's since he was the one with all the late fees.) It is kind of annoying that they are trying to pretend the police were called over a 5 year old and her "how to tie your shoes book" when that clearly isn't the case.
Do you really believe the police came to the door and asked for the little girl? Really? I don't. In fact, the article stated the girl happened to be standing next to mother. They were given several written notices and ignored them... they should consider themselves lucky the police gave them an opportunity to correct the situation before it was put in the hands of the courts.

And Baja... I put faith in the police force being able to set priorities so if the police didn't mind doing it then they must have had time to do so and as a result they saved the community money be preempting the court costs that would have followed.

I sincerely hope the 5 year never forgets that visit and grows up with better values and judgement as a result. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's bullchit and Mommy needs a big kick in the ass. They didn't come for the little girl, they came to serve the parents who were trying to steal books. Certainly they didn't bust down the door, guns drawn, so it shouldn't have been scary at all.

But I love how the idiot "reporter" is trying to spin the story so you feel sorry for these thieves.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Do you really believe the police came to the door and asked for the little girl? Really? I don't. In fact, the article stated the girl happened to be standing next to mother. They were given several written notices and ignored them... they should consider themselves lucky the police gave them an opportunity to correct the situation before it was put in the hands of the courts.

And Baja... I put faith in the police force being able to set priorities so if the police didn't mind doing it then they must have had time to do so and as a result they saved the community money be preempting the court costs that would have followed.

I sincerely hope the 5 year never forgets that visit and grows up with better values and judgement as a result. :yay:

nope, thats what I said..the article is spinning it that way, but in reality they wanted the father's audio books and 100 bucks :buddies: but I still feel bad she got scared because her parents don't know how to return things.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Parents' fault all the way.

I think the little girl "bursting into tears" is great theater. Again the parents' fault. I'm sure that big, bad police officer had just the right size handcuffs for little five-year-old wrists dangling in front of her eyes.:evil:

Just another liberal tear-jerker of an article.......

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Seems like there is a better way to utilize the police force other than to collect overdue library books and fees.

Just have someone go to the court clerk and file a small claims summons.

That does seem pretty ridiculous......cops being used to collect people's library books? Must be a really uneventful place to live or the police dept there is overstaffed.

Anyway, why should a 5 year old be afraid of a cop? I was raised to believe police could be trusted to help me. As a child, I believed that to be true. My little man waves and says hello to the cops we see. Kids shouldn't be scared of them unless their parents are giving them reason to fear cops.

drivingdaisy

Guess what 5 year-olds cry about all kinds of nonsense... i guess not getting a cookie for snack or getting the swing you want at the playground is all traumatizing since those are other things they cry about.