Dual Processor Workstation

mainman

Set Trippin
Anyone have any experience, with any high end workstations (dual processor)? I need to purchase 2, that I plan on using 5 video cards in each... I want to know brand of cpu and your experiences.. Good and bad. TIA. :smile:

D

darkriver4362

My uncle had a Xeon 1600 Mhz Dell...We used it for games....He's about as much as a loser as me lol. But honestly, it was running Windows 2000, we had no problems at all with it. Networked fine, never crashed...extremely fast.

mainman

Set Trippin
Re: Dual CPU, or "SMP" Processing

Originally posted by KB3HGM
I am an A+ Certified Service Technician & Instructor, S.M.E. and former College Professor (Computer Science / SU). If you are in the market for a Dual CPU system, then there are several things you should consider before selecting hardware:

1. What will each system be used for and will they be networked for macroprocessing? To dispatch no less than 7 concrete distribution plants.

2. What size budget are you intending to invest per machine? Money is no object.

3. Will each machine be matching specifications? (This is important for bulk purchase dicounts) Yes

4. Instead of multiple graphics cards, why not a slightly lower-cost, but higher-end platform with more memory? The machines I chose have 1GB of RAM. I need multiple graphics cards, because my dispatchers dispatch multiple plants, this way they are able to monitor one plant per screen.

5. What Operating system do you wish to use, and what applications suites or software do you wish to use? I chose Windows XP Professional, all other software is written in house.

6. Who else will be using these machines, and what is the operational skill of those other users? (This is why some choose a GUI style OS...to simplify the end-user side of things...)Just my dispatchers.

7. How soon will this "system" need to be rolled out and producing? What content will be produced? I intend to have 2 of the machines in place by wednesday of this week.

8. What secondary uses will this "system" be used for?None

If you are serious, and would like to save some serious money, you first need to consult with someone who has built such systems before, and can offer experience. I build every machine I have ever owned. (I am an IT guy too) I was in a jam and needed some fast advice.

Please e-mail me, and I will gladly speak with you about your situation. I will ask some very direct questions, and will give you specific information which will let you decide for yourself how to proceed.
Thanks for the response. I ordered 3 units from HP.

Finally, if top-end performance in an issue, and budget is not as high a concern, then there are motherboards from which you can install up to four CPUs, and still run a Windows OS.

Also, from there, a Backplane system could support up to 32 or even 64 processors, depending on your overall needs.

The power is out there, it's a matter of how much you are willing to spend. The smartest move is to consult, and then compare that information to a few other opinions, make sure you clearly understand everything...then choose the person who will draw up the final specifications, price out the parts, assemble the system, install the OS, configure the components, and sit you down, and show you everything you need to know to get the most out of your machine.

I tutor end-users too...

Sincerely,

Stephen P. Robertson

the_computer_doctor@consultant.com

Thanks again for the reply...

:smile:

mainman

Set Trippin
Re: Your reply, and the additional information provided

Your reply in essence says "I don't need your help." Which is your perogative. I do not take offence at your reply. I wrote what I wrote because your message intimated that you needed consultation, so I offered.
Are you high? :confused:

K

Kain99

I have requested that the Moderator either identify you, so that I may pursue legal action against you, or simply cut the thread, and admonish you of the possible penalties for libel.

And.... You guys thought I was anal retentive! :biggrin:

mainman

Set Trippin
Re: Your question is both libelous and innapropriate

I gave you the benefit of the doubt regarding your last message.

Clearly your last post displays behavior which is outside the acceptable usage guidelines of a publically moderated forum.

I have posted a complaint to the Moderator, explaining that comments on this board are "Of Public Record", and therefore actionable.

Your rhetorical question, "Are you high?" is offensive, slanderous; and legally libelous since these words are published in a public forum.

I only offered assistance, and will not engage in negative, antisocial communications with anyone.

I have requested that the Moderator either identify you, so that I may pursue legal action against you, or simply cut the thread, and admonish you of the possible penalties for libel.

A copy of this thread is also being forwarded to the FCC, who holds legal authority over electronic communications such as this; who will likely sustain my complaint.

If your remarks in any way affect my ability to transact business, you shall be further liable for the loss of business, and subsequent damages, including defamation of character. This is due to the reference of drug usage (for the record, I am not a drug user, and I am not 'high', nor was I 'high' when I posted my messages...), which could imply that I am of less than proper character to which to do business, and for which you could be liable for damages suffered.
Dude.. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have done more damage to yourself with that inane post than I could ever do. Rock on brotha! You da man...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Re: Dual CPU, or "SMP" Processing

I am an A+ Certified Service Technician & Instructor, S.M.E. and former College Professor (Computer Science / SU). If you are in the market for a Dual CPU system, then there are several things you should consider before selecting hardware:

1. What will each system be used for and will they be networked for macroprocessing?

2. What size budget are you intending to invest per machine?

3. Will each machine be matching specifications? (This is important for bulk purchase dicounts)

4. Instead of multiple graphics cards, why not a slightly lower-cost, but higher-end platform with more memory?

5. What Operating system do you wish to use, and what applications suites or software do you wish to use?

6. Who else will be using these machines, and what is the operational skill of those other users? (This is why some choose a GUI style OS...to simplify the end-user side of things...)

7. How soon will this "system" need to be rolled out and producing? What content will be produced?

8. What secondary uses will this "system" be used for?

If you are serious, and would like to save some serious money, you first need to consult with someone who has built such systems before, and can offer experience.

Please e-mail me, and I will gladly speak with you about your situation. I will ask some very direct questions, and will give you specific information which will let you decide for yourself how to proceed.

Finally, if top-end performance in an issue, and budget is not as high a concern, then there are motherboards from which you can install up to four CPUs, and still run a Windows OS.

Also, from there, a Backplane system could support up to 32 or even 64 processors, depending on your overall needs.

The power is out there, it's a matter of how much you are willing to spend. The smartest move is to consult, and then compare that information to a few other opinions, make sure you clearly understand everything...then choose the person who will draw up the final specifications, price out the parts, assemble the system, install the OS, configure the components, and sit you down, and show you everything you need to know to get the most out of your machine.

I tutor end-users too...

Sincerely,

Stephen P. Robertson

the_computer_doctor@consultant.com

It's also against the rules to solicit for your business in these forums. I am reporting YOU for that violation.

Too bad it's not illegal or against the rules to be a pompous windbag.

Have a nice day! :cheesy:

K

Kain99

Re: Re: Dual CPU, or "SMP" Processing

Originally posted by jazz lady
It's also against the rules to solicit for your business in these forums. I am reporting YOU for that violation.

Yay! Jazz! :killingme

mainman

Set Trippin
Re: Re: Dual CPU, or "SMP" Processing

Originally posted by jazz lady

:smile: (my buddy)

K

Kain99

Originally posted by TWL
Just when I thought the guy was cool.....
No TWL... Not cool.... I've been trying to find his website to no avail. Just some fly by night wanna be trouble maker! "Hey Steve" Quote me to the FCC. I stand by my posts! :biggrin:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Re: Your question is both libelous and innapropriate

I gave you the benefit of the doubt regarding your last message.

Clearly your last post displays behavior which is outside the acceptable usage guidelines of a publically moderated forum.

I have posted a complaint to the Moderator, explaining that comments on this board are "Of Public Record", and therefore actionable.

Your rhetorical question, "Are you high?" is offensive, slanderous; and legally libelous since these words are published in a public forum.

I only offered assistance, and will not engage in negative, antisocial communications with anyone.

A copy of this thread is also being forwarded to the FCC, who holds legal authority over electronic communications such as this; who will likely sustain my complaint.

If your remarks in any way affect my ability to transact business, you shall be further liable for the loss of business, and subsequent damages, including defamation of character. This is due to the reference of drug usage (for the record, I am not a drug user, and I am not 'high', nor was I 'high' when I posted my messages...), which could imply that I am of less than proper character to which to do business, and for which you could be liable for damages suffered.

Ya know, Steven, a "simple good luck and if I can be of assistance in the future, let me know" would have been the perfect answer...But nooooo, you have to get on your high horse and shoot back a snippy reply when none was warranted..You identified yourself, no one but you gave a name, and with your asinine reply, I'm sure everyone will be running to your doorstep for advice now(/sarcasm off). You, sir, are an idiot. Can you make Thursday at the lake?? Of course, all this is just my opinion.

Otter

Nothing to see here

My comments and questions to you were based solely upon the information you provided in your original message. You didn't explain the size or scope of application, nor did you identify yourself as an IT professional. If you had, then I would not need to ask those questions, as you would already have been working on them yourself.

Given the additional information you supplied, I understand your requirements much better, and would have replied differently.

I would instead be talking about the virtues of the national suppliers, and their support structures, and cost factors.

Seeing that you have already ordered your servers, this is the last issue of consultance related to your post. You didn't identify the timeline upon which you had to deliver a working system, or network to apply as the solution.

If I had known the immediacy of your timeline, given the date of your original post, I would have not replied; as I would assume that you were already working on a solution with someone, or a national supplier.

My questions and opinions were offered in good faith, and with professional courtesty. I was sincerely attempting to help you.

Your reply in essence says "I don't need your help." Which is your perogative. I do not take offence at your reply. I wrote what I wrote because your message intimated that you needed consultation, so I offered.

Thank you for the time you spent writing back, and letting me know that you have a solution in the works. I hope that HP delivers a machine which matches the reputation the company is recognized for, and that your concrete business enjoys a more flexible and robust computing solution.

Sincerely,

Stephen P. Robertson

just a bump for sincerity

K

Kain99

Re: Re: Your question is both libelous and innapropriate

Originally posted by otter
Ya know, Steven, a "simple good luck and if I can be of assistance in the future, let me know" would have been the perfect answer...But nooooo, you have to get on your high horse and shoot back a snippy reply when none was warranted..You identified yourself, no one but you gave a name, and with your asinine reply, I'm sure everyone will be running to your doorstep for advice now(/sarcasm off). You, sir, are an idiot. Can you make Thursday at the lake?? Of course, all this is just my opinion.
:Exsmackyainthefaceactly:! Cheese whiz! :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Man alive! Stephen Robertson, eh? Nice of him to let potential customers know about his temper and touchiness, wasn't it?

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Man alive! Stephen Robertson, eh? Nice of him to let potential customers know about his temper and touchiness, wasn't it?
Do you think he will want to meet me at the lake? :confused: Because I will need directions... So I can make it on time...:smile:

K

Kain99

Originally posted by vraiblonde
It certainly was... I'm spreading the news as fast as I can! Freakazoid! :rolleyes:

D

darkriver4362

My comments and questions to you were based solely upon the information you provided in your original message. You didn't explain the size or scope of application, nor did you identify yourself as an IT professional. If you had, then I would not need to ask those questions, as you would already have been working on them yourself.

Given the additional information you supplied, I understand your requirements much better, and would have replied differently.

I would instead be talking about the virtues of the national suppliers, and their support structures, and cost factors.

Seeing that you have already ordered your servers, this is the last issue of consultance related to your post. You didn't identify the timeline upon which you had to deliver a working system, or network to apply as the solution.

If I had known the immediacy of your timeline, given the date of your original post, I would have not replied; as I would assume that you were already working on a solution with someone, or a national supplier.

My questions and opinions were offered in good faith, and with professional courtesty. I was sincerely attempting to help you.

Thank you for the time you spent writing back, and letting me know that you have a solution in the works. I hope that HP delivers a machine which matches the reputation the company is recognized for, and that your concrete business enjoys a more flexible and robust computing solution.

Sincerely,

Stephen P. Robertson

First probably cut n paste queen from some tech site........second wtf is your problem?????