8 month old vomiting but HAPPY

KDENISE977

My 8 month old son woke up this a.m. and starting vomiting before he even ate? When we fed him, he got about half way through his bottle and projectile vomited it all up, I mean out the nose and mouth. He then smiled. He has no fever. He is happy as can be like he usually is...just can't seem to keep anything down, not even the pedialyte?? Anyone got any advice? This started about 3 hours ago...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Can you call the doctor on a Sunday? I don't know if it's worth an ER visit, but if he's vomiting like that and can't even keep Pedialyte down, I'd be concerned.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Babies get dehydrated very quickly. If he cannot keep any liquids down, take him to the er or urgent care if it goes on much longer. He should be alright if you keep offering fluids for the next couple hours and he manages to keep them down and has no diarrhea. But I wouldn't let it go on to long with no fluids.

Roman

Things to look for to see if he is dehydrated: A decrease in the amount of wet diapers, a sunken Fontanel, and circles under the eyes, lethargy. Keep offering him a spoonful of water, wait 15 minutes, and if he keeps it down, offer the Pedilyte alternating with water. You would be better off taking him to the ER, rather than Urgent Care. I don't think they open until noon, and with the UC we have here in Solomons, I think you actually have to make an appointment. I'm sure the little Guy is fine, but I would take him to the ER if he can't keep anything down. Well Wishes his way.!! :flowers:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Most doctor offices have an after hours number you can call that will put you in touch with the doctor on call. Call the doctor! You will feel better and you will know if you need to do anything else for the little one.

KDENISE977

I did call the ped. on call for Bayshore and he said that the baby needs 1 oz of pedialyte or like fluids per hour. I'm trying that, but he does not care for the stuff. I'm actually having to pour it into a measuring cup and use a medicine dropper to make him take it. And then he spits half of it out?????? He still has no fever or anything, he's taken about an hour and a half nap but now he's up and his crazy self again.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I did call the ped. on call for Bayshore and he said that the baby needs 1 oz of pedialyte or like fluids per hour. I'm trying that, but he does not care for the stuff. I'm actually having to pour it into a measuring cup and use a medicine dropper to make him take it. And then he spits half of it out?????? He still has no fever or anything, he's taken about an hour and a half nap but now he's up and his crazy self again.

If he's not keeping it down, he'll get dehydrated, no matter how happy he seems. Babies can spike a fever very quickly, too, so be careful & watch him closely.

whatchawant

Try this

The only way I was able to get mine to try any fluids when sick like that was popsicles. They love them, and it does help. It was the first thing the ER gave my 18 month old.

sm8

The only way I was able to get mine to try any fluids when sick like that was popsicles. They love them, and it does help. It was the first thing the ER gave my 18 month old.

I second the popsicles, anything is better than nothing.

KDENISE977

Well...Monday morning, I went into work 2 hours late to make sure daycare didn't have any problems at all. They called at 1 p.m. and said he threw up a little bit after being put in the swing (DUHH). But other than that he was happy little guy all day, all night, normal happy self. Ate normally all day and right around 6:30 we fed him again and about 5 minutes after his bottle...BLAM..it came flying out again.?! I have no idea what's going on...his attitude is fine, he's happy, no fever, not acting like anything is wrong at all, laughing etc. I took him again to day care today, called at around 9 a.m., they said same thing, he's fine, happy as can be?! So why is he projectile vomiting when WE feed him??

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Well...Monday morning, I went into work 2 hours late to make sure daycare didn't have any problems at all. They called at 1 p.m. and said he threw up a little bit after being put in the swing (DUHH). But other than that he was happy little guy all day, all night, normal happy self. Ate normally all day and right around 6:30 we fed him again and about 5 minutes after his bottle...BLAM..it came flying out again.?! I have no idea what's going on...his attitude is fine, he's happy, no fever, not acting like anything is wrong at all, laughing etc. I took him again to day care today, called at around 9 a.m., they said same thing, he's fine, happy as can be?! So why is he projectile vomiting when WE feed him??

reflux?

the guy I work with talked of his son doing that all the time.
.. and I think my nephew did it also.

there is a difference between vomiting and Regurgitation... sound like he is regurging .... vomiting will have muscle contractions for the act of vomiting.

Regurgitation will just come up and out. :love:

KDENISE977

That very well might be it because it's not in spasms, it's more like the exorcist or something when it comes out... and he shows no signs of a belly ache, he laughs right after???

sm8

Maybe it is the position you are feeding him in is different then how they feed him. For example if they feed him in a swing or chair and he is sitting upright he might be able to tolerate it better then if he is being held laying down.

My nephew has reflux and if he is not sitting upright when he eats he projectile vomits. It does not look comfy on his neck while he is eating but it is much better than him vomiting.

KDENISE977

I did a little reading on that and the feeding position, but it wouldn't make sense that it's just NOW starting(8 months)... we haven't changed anything recently... and he is sitting up after he eats, not laying down and that's when he is throwing it all up? He was good at daycare again today, both with his stage 2 foods and his bottles. He fell asleep like he usually does around 6 p.m. and will sleep till tomorrow a.m. I usually wake him to feed him around 9:30 or 10:00 but I'm not sure if I should tonight?

sockgirl77

A flu bug? My 4 year old has one now. It started Sunday night. She's just now starting to eat a little bit. But up until this morning, she puked everything up. Every tiny bit of fluid that went into her system, even water, was projected outwards.

KDENISE977

At first on Sunday, I did think it was a flu/stomach bug; but he's doing it so intermittently now it's just weird. He'll be fine at daycare all day, then we'll feed him a bottle at home and he'll just HEAVE it up??

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
At first on Sunday, I did think it was a flu/stomach bug; but he's doing it so intermittently now it's just weird. He'll be fine at daycare all day, then we'll feed him a bottle at home and he'll just HEAVE it up??

If you're still concerned, take him to the doctor & let them tell you what's going on. :shrug:

They don't mind putting Moms' minds at rest -- I know, as they did it for me often enough with four kids! :lol: