While I was channel surfing on Sunday...

I was passing thru the range of 40-something channels, about to skip past BET, when I had to stop there and do a double, no triple-take. I'm still not sure I believe what I saw.

Here it is: A long-playing info-mercial fundraiser to send foreign Jews to their homeland - Israel. Not a big deal by itself, but the channel was 45, last I checked, GMP channel 45 was BET. Also, not a big deal by itself. But the commercial struck me as being out of place. So much so, I had to check the TV guide listing, which only read "paid programming".

Now it could be I've been living in a cloud for many years, and I may not be up to the minute in social/ethnic/race relations, but I do recall a story a few years back how there was more than a bit of tension between Afro-Americans and Jews. And this is why I needed the extra looks while surfing. The combination of BET airing :beingpaidby: a jewish info-mercial, and jews targeting, via BET, the black population for fundraising which benefits only Jews seems like the ultimate irony. :confused:

"for $350 send one..."
"for $700 send two..."
"for $1400 send four..."
"Russian Jews back to Israel"

Here they are

Did anyone else see this? Am I out of date on this?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by StillCrazy
I do recall a story a few years back how there was more than a bit of tension between Afro-Americans and Jews.
Hence the desire to get them out of the country. Bet if you found an all-Jewish channel, you'd find an infomercial trying to send he African-Americans back to Africa.

Re: Re: While I was channel surfing on Sunday...

Originally posted by cmcdanal
Hence the desire to get them out of the country. Bet if you found an all-Jewish channel, you'd find an infomercial trying to send he African-Americans back to Africa.

But the infomercial was fundraising to send *Russian* and *European* Jews to Isreal. So any contribution provides no "local benefit" to the contributor.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Re: Re: Re: While I was channel surfing on Sunday...

Originally posted by StillCrazy
But the infomercial was fundraising to send *Russian* and *European* Jews to Isreal. So any contribution provides no "local benefit" to the contributor.
ah, i misunderstood, never fear, the American ones will be next.

D

darkriver4362

I doubt BET really cares who pays them big bucks to put those infomercials on.

It's a global strategy?

Originally posted by cmcdanal
ah, i misunderstood, never fear, the American ones will be next.

So, a it's reverse-immigration, of sorts. :shrug: And on someone else's dime. Hmmm, that reminds me of...(insert ethic joke here)

Show me the money!

Originally posted by darkriver4362
I doubt BET really cares who pays them big bucks to put those infomercials on.

Sounds reasonable I suppose. Money is always the botton line - who cares where it came from.

I wonder how the regular viewer accepted the 'mercial?

Originally posted by darkriver4362
I doubt many people watched it ya know?

DarkRiver, I'm sure your right. What can I say, this caught my eye in a long moment of bordom. Then curiosity got the best of me.

D

darkriver4362

I understand...we don't have much to choose from on tv down here lol....I've watched a few....some are really whacked out and they have that disclaimer on before...."This station is not responsible for the following program"