Seeking Shade-loving, flowering perennial ground cover

Gonzy317

Not that I ask a lot of a plant...

We moved to the area about 2-3 years ago. I'm originally from the southwestern US and the plants I grew up with are not the same that grow and thrive here. No huge shocker! Must be that whole lack of desert thing...

Anyhow, we just had our backyard cleared of underbrush and I have a slope that I'd like to plant a ground cover on. I don't want to have to re-plant year after year, and I prefer some color/flowers, but its in dappled sunlight now, which will get more shady as the leaves come in.

Is there a plant that anyone can think of that would thrive under these conditions in this area??

Thanks!! :)

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by RoseRed
vinca

:yeahthat: It's also called periwinkle. I've got tons of it at my old house. It grows well under trees, it's rather non-invasive, durable as hell, flowers almost continually, and you can mow it. :yay:

Last edited:

Gonzy317

I was considering liriope as well... but I like Vinca and daylillies. Hmmm... maybe a row or two of stella d'oro's at the top and then some vinca...

I may never get it planted. :biggrin:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by sleuth14
Are there any good grasses for shady areas?

Scott's makes a grass mixture for shady areas that I've used with good success. It has a blend of "Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Ryegrass, and Fine Fescue" and is called "Scotts® Pure Premium™ Shady Grass Seed Mixture."

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by jazz lady
Scott's makes a grass mixture for shady areas that I've used with good success. It has a blend of "Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Ryegrass, and Fine Fescue" and is called "Scotts® Pure Premium™ Shady Grass Seed Mixture."

Thanks, I might try that along with the vinca, which I didn't know you could mow.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Gonzy317
I was considering liriope as well... but I like Vinca and daylillies. Hmmm... maybe a row or two of stella d'oro's at the top and then some vinca...

I may never get it planted. :biggrin:

I have used Liriope, but I wouldn't classify it as a ground cover like vinca. It's actually a member of the lily family and grows in clumps. I've used it more as a border plant.

Vinca spreads much more rapidly and is more tolerant of poor soils - it will grow in just about any soil around here.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Thanks, I might try that along with the vinca, which I didn't know you could mow.

If you want vinca, let me know. You can dig some up at my old house.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
If you want vinca, let me know. You can dig some up at my old house.

Can you plant it anytime of year? I probably won't get to it until July ish....

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have a ton of it behind my house. It has been here longer than we have (9 years).

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Can you plant it anytime of year? I probably won't get to it until July ish....

That's not the best time for planting ANYTHING, but you could give it a shot if you're willing to baby it for a few weeks until it establishes itself.

I personally would wait until September when the weather cools down some.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by RoseRed
I have a ton of it behind my house. It has been here longer than we have (9 years).

We got ours from the old farm we have on the Eastern Shore from stuff my hubby's dad planted 50 years ago. The plants are hardy as hell. :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We got ours from the old farm we have on the Eastern Shore from stuff my hubby's dad planted 50 years ago. The stuff is hardy as hell. :lol:
We have mowed and burned it too and it always comes back.

Gonzy317

If its THAT hardy, what the hell keeps it from dominating? I'm not sure I want to plant something that is going to perform some hostile takeover of my backyard! :wink:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Gonzy317
If its THAT hardy, what the hell keeps it from dominating? I'm not sure I want to plant something that is going to perform some hostile takeover of my backyard! :wink:
The lawnmower.

In all seriousness, it has never tried to take over the back yard. It is in back by the edge of the woods and hides baby bunnies very well.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
:yeahthat: For a ground cover, it is VERY well behaved. It doesn't climb, it doesn't take over and kill everything else, and it's easily managed. It doesn't really care for direct sunlight and will keep itself to the shaded areas.