Latex Paint is NOT Hazardous Waste

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Did you know...thousands of tax dollars are spent each year disposing of latex paint as hazardous; when in fact, it is not! Please do not bring latex paint to hazardous waste collection sites. Instead..

USE IT UP! Small amounts of paint can be mixed with other colors, or bulked together and used as a primer coat, or on jobs where the final finish is not critical. Avoid creating waste at the start. Buy only what you need. One gallon of paint will cover between 250 and 350 square feet, depending on the porosity of the surface to be covered. A gallon of paint will cover closer to 250 square feet of surface area if it is more porous.

DRY IT UP! Latex paint may be safely disposed of in your regular household trash. The paint remaining in the can must be dry before being placed into the trash. Please be sure that your paint is completely solidified. Liquid paint can spill while awaiting collection or during the collection process; paint leaking into trucks and onto roadways poses tremendous cleanup challenges. Cans 1/4 or less full: Simply remove the lid and place the can in a safe, well-ventilated area. Cans that are 1/4 or less full will dry in a few days. Cans more than 1/4 full: Waste paint hardener is available at most area hardware stores. Mulch, kitty litter, or shredded paper may also be used as a bulking/drying agent. Protect your work surface by lining it with old newspaper.

PASS IT ON! Donate unopened cans of paint. Many schools, religious groups, community groups, and theater groups will accept unopened cans of paint, especially white paint. Even a neighbor may need some extra paint. Also, check your paint store's policy on returning unopened cans of paint.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Did you know...thousands of tax dollars are spent each year disposing of latex paint as hazardous; when in fact, it is not! Please do not bring latex paint to hazardous waste collection sites. Instead..

USE IT UP! Small amounts of paint can be mixed with other colors, or bulked together and used as a primer coat, or on jobs where the final finish is not critical. Avoid creating waste at the start. Buy only what you need. One gallon of paint will cover between 250 and 350 square feet, depending on the porosity of the surface to be covered. A gallon of paint will cover closer to 250 square feet of surface area if it is more porous.

DRY IT UP! Latex paint may be safely disposed of in your regular household trash. The paint remaining in the can must be dry before being placed into the trash. Please be sure that your paint is completely solidified. Liquid paint can spill while awaiting collection or during the collection process; paint leaking into trucks and onto roadways poses tremendous cleanup challenges. Cans 1/4 or less full: Simply remove the lid and place the can in a safe, well-ventilated area. Cans that are 1/4 or less full will dry in a few days. Cans more than 1/4 full: Waste paint hardener is available at most area hardware stores. Mulch, kitty litter, or shredded paper may also be used as a bulking/drying agent. Protect your work surface by lining it with old newspaper.

PASS IT ON! Donate unopened cans of paint. Many schools, religious groups, community groups, and theater groups will accept unopened cans of paint, especially white paint. Even a neighbor may need some extra paint. Also, check your paint store's policy on returning unopened cans of paint.

question... so if we can dispose of that in the trash... is it safe to dispose of anitfreeze (Ethylene glycol) in the trash as well?

YES....MOST LATEX PAINT SHOULD be handled as hazardous waste!!!

Last edited:

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
You'll have to call your County's office of waste management.

However, I doubt it is legal to put that toxic chemical into the trash where it can leach into the water tables. I believe St. Mary's has recycle tanks for anti-freeze next to the used oil tanks.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
You'll have to call your County's office of waste management.

However, I doubt it is legal to put that toxic chemical into the trash where it can leach into the water tables. I believe St. Mary's has recycle tanks for anti-freeze next to the used oil tanks.

most latex paints have Ethylene glycol in it :coffee:

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Oh, I see. You're looking for an argument. I think the operative fact is that you have to dry/harden the latex paint before you can put it in the trash. Once dry/hardened it likely becomes inert.

I seriously doubt the state is going to send out this bulletin were it not safe--especially since they are the ones who run the hazardous waste collection programs..

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Oh, I see. You're looking for an argument. I think the operative fact is that you have to dry/harden the latex paint before you can put it in the trash. Once dry/hardened it likely becomes inert.

I seriously doubt the state is going to send out this bulletin were it not safe--especially since they are the ones who run the hazardous waste collection programs..

not looking for an argument :razz:... but I was shocked to find out about paint havin Ethylene glycol in it..... and I would say MOST PEOPLE have no clue.

all it took was a few licks of it to kill a dog... yep... didnt know till it was too late. There was nothing we could do at the vet for him.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
You learn something new everyday...I did not know latex had Ethylene glycol (anti-freeze in it). I'm not a chemical engineer, but my assumption is that it either becomes inert when dry --or-- when its dry, it won't leach into the water table, although it might not be good for you if you decide to eat it.

A quick search leads me to believe that some latex paints may not contain Ethylene glycol. Perhaps the new ones which do not emit the strong odor...just guessing.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
You learn something new everyday...I did not know latex had Ethylene glycol (anti-freeze in it). I'm not a chemical engineer, but my assumption is that it either becomes inert when dry --or-- when its dry, it won't leach into the water table, although it might not be good for you if you decide to eat it.

A quick search leads me to believe that some latex paints may not contain Ethylene glycol. Perhaps the new ones which do not emit the strong odor...just guessing.

nope... even the low odor behr and valspar has it...

there are a few and will market it as they dont contain .. blah blah blah

.... and its fine when it dries... but really who knew... My ER vet didnt even know... we all were shocked to find it out. the only reason we did was the dog had paint on its nose.. and was out when they were painting.

took a few licks..and now dead. This could happen to a child and pets. POINT IS... most people have no clue.
hope no kid digs in the trash cans... but harry homeowner just chucks out paint cans cuz maybe he did know about using a hardener...

loriv

My issue with throwing out paint cans is... you then aren't recycling the can. Why can't we rinse out the can and recycle it like any normal metal? I think encouraging people to dump recyclable material is irresponsible. If the paint itself is safe to dump, then why can't I put it into a milk carton to dry and then recycle the can? (I realize the counties have not provided any guidance on this, it just irks me.)

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
My issue with throwing out paint cans is... you then aren't recycling the can. Why can't we rinse out the can and recycle it like any normal metal? I think encouraging people to dump recyclable material is irresponsible. If the paint itself is safe to dump, then why can't I put it into a milk carton to dry and then recycle the can? (I realize the counties have not provided any guidance on this, it just irks me.)
Well then you can't recycle the milk carton. :lol: