Greatest Event 1900-1999

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I said "other".  I find communication advances rather spectacular so I'd like to have witnessed the first time Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn successfully connected to another computer using TCP/IP.  Or when Tim Berners-Lee jumped to another computer via a hyperlink.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I chose Other because I think it would have been neat to have lived my Great Aunt's life.  She was born in 1897 at Ft. Laramie, WY and moved to Hawaii in the early 1920s by steamer ship to nanny to my Grandmother, this was before Hawaii was a state and they lived in huts on Waikiki Beach.

The things that she saw in her lifetime were many, from horse & buggy, to cars, plane's, man on the moon, etc.  She did write down a lot of my family history and passed on photos of my great-great grandparents and down the line before she died when I was 20.

I was honored to have known her.  

Otter

Nothing to see here
For "greatest" event, had to go with the moon shot..It was so impressive that I still honor it on occasion with my own moon shots...but then thats another story...

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Hindenburg (Titanic of the Skies)--The luxury airship travels at 84 mph across the Atlantic from Germany to New Jersey in 1937.  Ignites and burns upon landing.  What a site...imagine the terror! Thirty-five of the ninety-seven people aboard and one ground crew member died.  When you see the film footage you have to be amazed that anyone survived.

Christy

b*tch rocket
"Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
:king: The man the myth the legend!  Ronald Reagan!!! :king:

I saw it all happen on the news, but to be there sure would have been something!

Hessian

Christy...good choice!
Why is it that the History channel is the only place you can find great documentaries/movies on the escapes/tunnels and espionage around the wall?

Personally, I would have liked to seen Teddy Roosevelt in action...Opening the Canal, ordering out the Great white Fleet, Setting aside thousands of miles of parks, taming the "Dangerous trusts"...what a huge man!..even facing an assassin and continuing his speech with a bullet hole in his coat!
BULLY!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The moon landing, the Internet, the phone, electricity, television - that stuff is like a miracle to me.  I'm not a person who can even conceive of that sort of thing, let alone make it.  If it were up to me we'd still be living like cavemen - thank God for visionaries.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Still Crazy,

Woodstock all the way dude.  I would have loved to have been caught up in that.  I'ld go tomorrow if it was happening again.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not me.  I hate hippies, drugs and peeing on the ground.  It was bad enough watching the movie!  Here ya go:  I'd rather attend a cocktail fundraiser for Tom Daschle than go to Woodstock - at least you'd be fed and have a toilet.

To each his own :dude:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Vraiblonde,

It has nothing to do with the drugs or hippies.  It would be for the music and the shear collection of people having one hell of a time, peacefully.  Nothing like the 30-year anniversary media-hyped event.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I'm with you Vrai.  I couldn't imagine spending even a day surrounded by a bunch thousands of hippies who probably hadn't bathed for quite some time.  Music or not, el yucko!

Ken King

PREMO Member
Christy,

I couldn't imagine a day surrounded by beer and bratworst breathing Bavarians either.  To each his own.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Vraiblonde,

"I'd rather attend a cocktail fundraiser for Tom Daschle", Woodstock was a fundraiser for Daschle.  He was on the northern hill selling ideas of LSD (Liberal Senate Democrat).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm probably too big of a snob to do Woodstock.  However, Oktoberfest sounds like a blast - the beer and food is a major attraction.

The very last event on my list would be that Titanic thing - I'm terrified of the water ever since I saw "Jaws".  I get nervous waterskiing :smile:

S

ShellyCW

I'd really like to find out what happened to Amelia Earheart on her last flight.  

alex

I voted for the Wright Brothers/Kitty Hawk.  Think of how far air travel has come since then and the avenues it has opened for people, trade, etc.