Rumor: Xbox Next to require "always-on" Internet c

E

EmptyTimCup

Rumor: Xbox Next to require "always-on" Internet connection, have Blu-ray

According to sources cited by VG247, the Xbox Next (codenamed Durango) will launch in time for the holidays of 2013.​
Additionally, the console will come standard with a Blu-ray drive, say the sources.

On a darker note, however, the sources say Microsoft will require an "always-on" Internet connection in an effort to block out piracy. The DRM scheme, which has been seen on PC games from Ubisoft, requires gamers to have an active Internet connection, even if playing in single-player mode.

More notably are the specs expected for the upcoming console. The sources says the machine will have two GPUs, be variants of the AMD 7000 series, but not run in an SLI/CrossFire formation. Instead, the GPUs "will be able to work independently, drawing separate items simultaneously."

Additionally, the new console will have "four or six cores," with one devoted to Kinect and one reserved for the OS.

Dev

Anti-theist
Not surprising with the ridiculous DRM #### most companies are pushing out lately.

Isn't Blu-ray proprietary Sony tech? Can't see them letting that go without huge licensing fees.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
I don't see the always on internet thing happening. It will cost them customers. There are lots of times when people want to use their console in places were internet is just not available.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I don't see the always on internet thing happening. It will cost them customers. There are lots of times when people want to use their console in places were internet is just not available.

Bull. Disagree completely. Very rare where I-net is not available, unless you are deep in the wilderness.

The customers that may shy away are those that actually think about these things. Most of these entertainment-box customers know nothing but self-entertainment and could give a crap about who may be monitoring, most likely not aware that it is probably happening anyway.

Big brother is watching. Always. Whether one likes it or not.:popcorn:

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
Most of these entertainment-box customers know nothing but self-entertainment and could give a crap about who may be monitoring, most likely not aware that it is probably happening anyway.

thats were you are wrong. there is a reason most people prefer console games to PC games. Ease of use and a simple plug and play. Requiring an internet connection is counter productive.

An always on requirement makes no sense. So If I am playing a single player campaign and my internet goes out my game will cut off? Making my xbox useless until the cable company comes out and fixes whatever went wrong at the junction box down the street?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
thats were you are wrong. there is a reason most people prefer console games to PC games. Ease of use and a simple plug and play. Requiring an internet connection is counter productive.

An always on requirement makes no sense. So If I am playing a single player campaign and my internet goes out my game will cut off? Making my xbox useless until the cable company comes out and fixes whatever went wrong at the junction box down the street?

Doesn't matter what makes sense to you or what you want. It is what the manufacturer wants, along with "big brother" complicity.

That's all that matters. Heck, they could be watching you right now through your TV, whether it is on or off.

The CIA wants to spy on you through your TV: Agency director says net-connected gadgets will 'transform' surveillance | Mail Online

CIA Home Invasion: Smart TVs and the 'Internet of Things'

If you think this stuff is not happening, then so, sad, too bad. Stupid is as stupid does.

E

EmptyTimCup

That's all that matters. Heck, they could be watching you right now through your TV, whether it is on or off.

I have a buddy, who while not 'paranoid' he used to joke, the speaker in the TV was a mic when the set was turned off

and refused to get cable TV for yrs

Gargoyle

Doesn't matter what makes sense to you or what you want. It is what the manufacturer wants, along with "big brother" complicity.

The CIA wants to spy on you through your TV: Agency director says net-connected gadgets will 'transform' surveillance | Mail Online

CIA Home Invasion: Smart TVs and the 'Internet of Things'

If you think this stuff is not happening, then so, sad, too bad. Stupid is as stupid does.

It's supply and demand, not just what manufacture wants.

Big brother post is humorous.

Peter Forsberg

Another rumor is you will not be able to play used games on the Next Gen consoles. That will really suck. No more renting games or buying used games.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
Another rumor is you will not be able to play used games on the Next Gen consoles. That will really suck. No more renting games or buying used games.

not gona happen.

That would mean If some kid has a game for his xbox. Then walks across the hall to play it on his brothers xbox it wouldn't work?

Peter Forsberg

not gona happen.

That would mean If some kid has a game for his xbox. Then walks across the hall to play it on his brothers xbox it wouldn't work?
Exactly that's how they can sell more games. The Dev teams don't make money on used games or rentals.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
Exactly that's how they can sell more games. The Dev teams don't make money on used games or rentals.

The push back would be to great. If MS did something like this it would drive people away from the new xbox to the new sony product.