New Bills Signed by Gov. O'Malley Today

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Attached PDF lists all of the new bills signed by Gov. O'Malley Today...

Attachments

• Signed4.10.12.pdf
    267.1 KB · Views: 109

nobody really

I need a nap
yay we can now hunt for turkeys on private property on Sundays during spring turkey season.

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
Ironic, SB 65 makes it hard for a company to cancel an insurance policy because someone stopped paying it, yet SB 37 requires late fees and interest on water bills to the government.

So an evil company cannot just cancel your insurance for nonpayment of premiums.....yet a government water and sewer entity is allowed to keep you turned off until you pay late fees and interest.

Hypocritical?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
SB 848
Senator King
EDUCATION – MAINTENANCE OF EFFORT
Authorizing a county governing body, for a specified purpose and under specified circumstances, to set a property tax rate that is higher than the rate authorized under the county’s charter or to collect more property tax revenues than are authorized under the county’s charter, notwithstanding any provision of the county charter that places limits on the county’s property tax rate or revenues; etc.
EMERGENCY BILL – VARIOUS EFFECTIVE DATES

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Authorizing the Office of the Comptroller to issue winery special event permits to Class 4 Maryland limited wineries in St. Mary’s County and Dorchester County for unlimited use 1 day each week at farmers’ markets in St. Mary’s County and Dorchester County that are listed on the Farmers’ Market Directory of the Maryland Department of Agriculture.
So one day a week we can get drunk in the parking lot at the Charlotte Hall Library?:cheers:

Good thing we got rid of the ability to leave karma comments... but oooooh beware the PMers...:shocking:
SB 175

Senator Raskin, et al
CRIMES – ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION – HARASSMENT
Prohibiting the use of electronic communication to maliciously engage in a course of conduct that alarms or seriously annoys another under specified circumstances; changing the defined term “electronic mail” to “electronic communication” and altering the definition; and making violation of the Act a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or a fine not exceeding $500 or both.
EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2012

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I'm not a criminal, but I think this is dangerous ground we are treading.

SB 131
Senator Middleton, et al
CRIMINAL PROCEDURE – WARRANTLESS ARRESTS – THEFT CRIMES
Expanding the authority of a police officer without a warrant to arrest a person suspected of committing a specified theft crime.
HB 115
Delegate Jameson, et al
Expanding the authority of a police officer without a warrant to arrest a person suspected of committing a specified theft crime.

bcp

In My Opinion
SB 848
Senator King
EDUCATION – MAINTENANCE OF EFFORT
Authorizing a county governing body, for a specified purpose and under specified circumstances, to set a property tax rate that is higher than the rate authorized under the county’s charter or to collect more property tax revenues than are authorized under the county’s charter, notwithstanding any provision of the county charter that places limits on the county’s property tax rate or revenues; etc.
EMERGENCY BILL – VARIOUS EFFECTIVE DATES

That is so the counties can raise property tax to cover the pensions that they are now going to be in charge of, and one must consider that the money put aside for the pensions had been stolen for other expenses, there will be no money coming from the state to assist in this.

This whole tax thing over the last couple years is the democrats trying hard to cover up misapropriated funds.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
This one's very scary too - basically giving the government a carte blanche to shut down anything they deem a farm.

SB 142
Chair, Education, Health, and Environmental Affairs Committee (By Request – Departmental – Agriculture)
SECRETARY OF AGRICULTURE – FARM FOOD SAFETY
Authorizing the Secretary of Agriculture to establish a farm quarantine for a specified purpose on a farm infected or infested with a pathogen; authorizing the Secretary to examine specified practices in accordance with specified standards, designate a specified person to conduct a specified inspection, and accept specified assistance from specified federal agencies; requiring the Secretary to deny access to specified information subject to a specified exception; etc.
EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2012

bcp

In My Opinion

SB 131
Senator Middleton, et al
HB 115
Delegate Jameson, et al

Its very dangerous, and I think it is actually unconstitutional. Im betting it is challenged pretty quick.

The dems are not real big on the constitution.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
All flamers and trolls be forewarned

SB 175
Senator Raskin, et al
Prohibiting the use of electronic communication to maliciously engage in a course of conduct that alarms or seriously annoys another under specified circumstances; changing the defined term “electronic mail” to “electronic communication” and altering the definition; and making violation of the Act a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or a fine not exceeding $500 or both.
HB 8
Delegate Washington

SB 131
Senator Middleton, et al
HB 115
Delegate Jameson, et al
That worried me too. My son told me about a cop who walked up to a few of them parked in a parking lot that were talking. The cop asked to search his car and he told the cop, "Show me your search warrant." The cop said, "You got something to hide? Why won't you let me look around?" My son repeated, "Show me your papers." The cop went back to his car and made a call in to somewhere and came back and said, "Nevermind."

My son was not breaking the law nor was there any cause for a search. I'm proud that he knew his rights and handled it in an adult manor. But it sure looks like we are headed in the direction where we will no longer have the right to be minding our own business without being "cop'd".

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love

SB 131
Senator Middleton, et al
HB 115
Delegate Jameson, et al
Depends on the specifics of the bill. Just how far is a police officer's authority expanded?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Is this their way of handling voter ID? :confused:

HB 173
Delegates Cardin and George
ELECTION LAW – VOTER REGISTRATION AGENCIES – ELECTRONIC SIGNATURES
Authorizing an applicant registering to vote at a voter registration agency to consent to the use of an electronic copy of the applicant’s signature that is on file with the voter registration agency as the applicant’s signature for the application being submitted; and requiring a voter registration agency to transmit an electronic copy of the signature of specified applicants for voter registration to the State Board within 5 days.
EFFECTIVE JUNE 1, 2012

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Depends on the specifics of the bill. Just how far is a police officer's authority expanded?

It's very open to interpretation (sp?). However I read one that said a police officer can practice law now....It made me :confused: I'll see if I can find it again. Nevermind, upon re-reading it's only for Washington County cops who have passed the bar. SB170

Last edited: