Alt Building in SOMD

nebeno

Anyone have any experience with the counties in southern maryland and alternative building techniques? Whenever and wherever I build, I plan to make something very green, probably using straw bale construction. Also thought about not having a septic (using composting toilets). Would love to hear stories of interaction with the counties over such things. Thanks.

nebeno

I just wrote a long reply that got lost. Thanks SOMD :(

To summarize, I called the Charles County Dept. of Health and talked to a guy named Jerard who is in charge of the Welcome, MD area where I am looking at land. He said they categorize things in one of three ways:

Conventional: standard septic systems, wells, etc.

Alternative: Compost toilets fall in here. He said they usually look at and approve things in this category if they fail optimum perc (<30 minutes to drain). If it's 31-60 minutes then they look at this category. Maryland does allow for compost toilets (Information for Homeowners)

Innovative: Constructed wetlands for greywater recycling. This would require engineers and multiple signoffs. Probably would take a lot of money, a lot of connections, or maybe some academic support (say from UM).

In all Jerard was helpful and friendly. I think I have a fair chance of getting a compost toilet approved with him. I think I would probably need to get some help for the constructed wetlands however. He did say someone in the county got a grant to install such a system, but it wasn't maintained and so weeds took over and it stopped functioning before too long (such a system would need to be looked at a type of garden that needs continued care).

Finally, I found a company near Fredrick that has installed many such systems across Maryland and surrounding states: Welcome To nutricyclesystems.com. They even installed one at the White Plains Post Office. I'm going to contact them for advice.

Chris0nllyn

In all Jerard was helpful and friendly. I think I have a fair chance of getting a compost toilet approved with him. I think I would probably need to get some help for the constructed wetlands however. He did say someone in the county got a grant to install such a system, but it wasn't maintained and so weeds took over and it stopped functioning before too long (such a system would need to be looked at a type of garden that needs continued care).

I work for an environmental engineering firm, and if you need some engineering done, shoot me a PM.

I'm sure it won't be cheap (like you said) but it will be done right, and we've done work in Charles Co. before.

mtrentw

Why not septic

Seems to me, septic is a natural way to dispose of waste. Allow the natural bacteria in the feces to continue to digest the mess. CO2, water and fertilizer as byproducts. Same result as a composting toilet, but it happens underground? I am not an expert on wastewater or anything, but just seems failry straightforward.