The Discipline Debate...

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Last night we had a discussion in school about the effectiveness of spanking children. Needless to say, it was a very heated debate. Some classmates think that any form of physical punishment should be considered abuse, while others agreed that spanking a child should be done (in moderation).

I'm just curious to know how you all feel about the subject. Any takers?

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by ememdee19
Last night we had a discussion in school about the effectiveness of spanking children. Needless to say, it was a very heated debate. Some classmates think that any form of physical punishment should be considered abuse, while others agreed that spanking a child should be done (in moderation).

How many classmates had kids?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy

I'm being lazy. I know there's a huge thread about this on here somewhere. I didn't spank and I don't believe in it, but I don't necessarily consider a "normal" spanking abuse either.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Spank the kids. That timeout stuff wont work. My mother spanked me and look at how well I turned out.:rolleyes: But really, im well behaved outside the forums and I have a job and go to college. Not saying that non-spanked children will not have this but it teaches you things of what you should and should not do.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Re: Re: The Discipline Debate...

Originally posted by cattitude
I'm being lazy. I know there's a huge thread about this on here somewhere. I didn't spank and I don't believe in it, but I don't necessarily consider a "normal" spanking abuse either.

I did a search on spankings and came up with this. Don't feel like digging through... :ohwell:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
My wife and I don't spank our kids, because we don't want to teach them that hitting is OK.

But we do believe in setting rules and limits and following through with punishments. If one hits the other with a toy, and we tell her not to do that and she does it again, we promise to take the toy away if she does it once more. And if she does it that third time, we take the toy away. We believe that rules and discipline should be applied consistently. No giving in to crying and whining. We tell our children that if they want something, they must ask for it nicely and not whine for it. Too many parents become pushovers because they're tired or distracted, and it's very tempting to let things go.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by Tonio
My wife and I don't spank our kids, because we don't want to teach them that hitting is OK.

But we do believe in setting rules and limits and following through with punishments. If one hits the other with a toy, and we tell her not to do that and she does it again, we promise to take the toy away if she does it once more. And if she does it that third time, we take the toy away. We believe that rules and discipline should be applied consistently. No giving in to crying and whining. We tell our children that if they want something, they must ask for it nicely and not whine for it. Too many parents become pushovers because they're tired or distracted, and it's very tempting to let things go.

Not even a swat on the hand or the butt?

CMC122

Go Braves!
My parents spanked me in moderation and I didn't go around hitting people because I thought it was ok.:confused:

I spank but it dosen't happen very often.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Spanking is ok by me.
I believe in the 3 strikes and you get smacked rule.

1st offense in a 24 hour period is a warning.
2nd offense in a 24 hour period is a spanking.
3rd offense and they better get the hell out before my belt clears the belt loops.

BuddyLee

Football addict
That may be the problem with younger kids today. Some of them have no respect for teachers or even they're parents. What happens when they grow up into teenagers?:confused: Do you think they are going to respect you any more. Hell no. They will be spoiled rotten and get away with everything because your parenting style one of a jelly fish and not a backbone.

Toxick

Splat
I think that spanking is effective up to a point. For a very small child - 1-3 years old, you cannot possibly reason with them. They simply cannot get it. But they do realize that their fanny hurts whenever they make for the electrical socket with a key - and they stop. This is a Good Thing.

But when they get to be about 4-5 they can understand "Key+Socket = VERY BAD" and you can let up on the whuppins. Of course, for repeat offenders, you might have to resort to a whump on the keister before they finally register that repeatedly putting Power Rangers in the microwave is unacceptable behavior

I think that you should keep the spankings to a minimum so that they don't think that hitting someone is a first resort, though.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by sleuth14
Spanking is ok by me.
I believe in the 3 strikes and you get smacked rule.

1st offense in a 24 hour period is a warning.
2nd offense in a 24 hour period is a spanking.
3rd offense and they better get the hell out before my belt clears the belt loops.

My chica is too young to belt, switch, etc. However, I do swat her on the hand or on the tush if the message isn't getting through her thick little head.

Anyhow, my Father never used a belt or a switch....his hand scared me enough. If I ran into my room and locked the door, the wrath was ten times worse! I believe in spankings as my parents did, but all in moderation.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by Toxick
I think that you should keep the spankings to a minimum so that they don't think that hitting someone is a first resort, though.

I agree! Her first option is always time out and she HATES that with a passion. I swear my neighbors probably think we're killing her when she screams and shrills. If that isn't effective, she gets a swat - plain and simple.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
My chica is too young to belt, switch, etc. However, I do swat her on the hand or on the tush if the message isn't getting through her thick little head.

Anyhow, my Father never used a belt or a switch....his hand scared me enough. If I ran into my room and locked the door, the wrath was ten times worse! I believe in spankings as my parents did, but all in moderation.

The worst pain was when the belt came off, but instead of hitting the rump, he hit the back of the legs.

:yikes: Yowza!

Parents don't discipline their kids anymore. What's with the timeout? How about a knockout!

A timeout was when we'd have to go sit or stand in a corner and THINK about what we did.

Where was that when I was a kid?!

"Oh yeah, dad... I'm thinkin' about it. You got me." :rolleyes:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by Tonio

Meanwhile the kid getting hit has a concussion. If we did it once, we were told not to do it again. If we did it again, we got spanked. I think I only got spanked 3 maybe 4 times in my life. I learned real quick what was considered unacceptable behavior. I plan to spank in moderation when I have kids. I see too many kids throwing fits in the grocery store. I'll do like my mom did, lean down and say "Do we need to go to the bathroom?" We went to the bathroom once and I never had the desire to go with her again (man did she whoop me), so from then on out, that's all she had to say to get me to behave.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by sleuth14

"Oh yeah, dad... I'm thinkin' about it. You got me." :rolleyes:
:killingme:

My old neighbors didn't discipline they told him about his innappropriate behavior constantly:rolleyes: The kid had no boundaries and is the only child I have ever truly thought of as a heathen.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by Ehesef
Meanwhile the kid getting hit has a concussion. If we did it once, we were told not to do it again. If we did it again, we got spanked. I think I only got spanked 3 maybe 4 times in my life. I learned real quick what was considered unacceptable behavior. I plan to spank in moderation when I have kids. I see too many kids throwing fits in the grocery store. I'll do like my mom did, lean down and say "Do we need to go to the bathroom?" We went to the bathroom once and I never had the desire to go with her again (man did she whoop me), so from then on out, that's all she had to say to get me to behave.

It's impossible to publically discipline a child anymore because there are people everywhere ready to call the police about you beating a child.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by CMC122
It's impossible to publically discipline a child anymore because there are people everywhere ready to call the police about you beating a child.
It won't let me edit.

I mean when you swat a hand and people freak out. Not knocking your kid out.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Ehesef
Meanwhile the kid getting hit has a concussion.

Hard to see how a 2-year-old can cause a concussion.

BuddyLee is right about parenting styles. I've seen kids manipulate their parents through whining and pouting. Our older one doesn't do that much, but when she does, we refuse to be budged. Giving in to a tantrum is exactly how kids get spoiled, because they learn that they can get what they want that way.