Benefits for Mom?

luvscats

I'm seeking info on who to meet with to find out if Mom is eligible for VA benefits of some sort.

I already contacted Maryland Dept of Veterans Affairs and have a meeting with a rep tomorrow morning.

I already contacted the VA and was told to get in touch with DAV. I'll call DAV when I get home from the meeting with MD DVA.

I'd like to hear what 2 or 3 different counselors have to say in case their recommendations are different.

Dad (now deceased) had 30+ years active duty (Navy). 30% disability, some of which was war-time. He never filed with VA tho. He didn't have the patience in dealing with the VA. I wish he had pursued filing, but nonetheless, he didn't. I have his DD214, military records, and the paperwork that shows his percentage of disability.

Mom needs to go to an assisted living facility but her Navy annuity and Soc Sec are not enough to pay for the facility fee. (She is not eligible for a nursing home because she does not require skilled nursing care. She requires assistance with daily living activities.) So I'm checking with VA to see if she is eligible via my Dad for any benefits.

Does anyone know of someone I could talk to re benefits eligibility?

Thank you :)

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I'm seeking info on who to meet with to find out if Mom is eligible for VA benefits of some sort.

I already contacted Maryland Dept of Veterans Affairs and have a meeting with a rep tomorrow morning.

I already contacted the VA and was told to get in touch with DAV. I'll call DAV when I get home from the meeting with MD DVA.

I'd like to hear what 2 or 3 different counselors have to say in case their recommendations are different.

Dad (now deceased) had 30+ years active duty (Navy). 30% disability, some
of which was war-time. He never filed with VA tho. He didn't have the patience in dealing with the VA. I wish he had pursued filing, but nonetheless, he didn't. I have his DD214, military records, and the paperwork that shows his percentage of disability.

Mom needs to go to an assisted living facility but her Navy annuity and Soc Sec are not enough to pay for the facility fee. (She is not eligible for a nursing home because she does not require skilled nursing care. She requires assistance with daily living activities.) So I'm checking with VA to see if she is eligible via my Dad for any benefits.

She might be eligible for benefits for assisted living. I can't remember what it's called but when my mother went to AL her VA benefit (widow of WW II vet) went from around $125/month to almost $1000/month. Your situation might be different due to the retired pay. Her's actually started sooner, she'd fallen and broken her hip and was considered partially housebound.

Spouse and Dependent Children Death Pension
There it is, it's called Aid and Attendance.
It will stop, except for a minimal base benefit, if she goes on MediCaid.

I set it up through her local VA office.

creative1

She would be eligible for Charlotte Hall Veterans home as a spouse of a former military. They have an assisted living side that does not look at assets or money you have on hand. Your fee is based solely on 90% of your monthly income...whatever that may be...social security or whatever. My relative paid about $900 a month. His only income was soc. security. He did not retire from military but served about 10 years in air force. now he is on the nursing home side because of failing health. They look at income, money on hand and other assets (property etc). Call them and ask for admissions. They will give you all the info you need...no obligation. 301-884-8171 during business hours. Good luck!

?

..._

Dad (now deceased) had 30+ years active duty (Navy). 30% disability, some of which was war-time. He never filed with VA tho. He didn't have the patience in dealing with the VA. I wish he had pursued filing, but nonetheless, he didn't. I have his DD214, military records, and the paperwork that shows his percentage of disability.

Your meeting tomorrow should give you all the answers you need, and perhaps some peace of mind. My humble thanks to your father for his service an sacrifice.
Peace and prayers to you and your mother.

luvscats

She might be eligible for benefits for assisted living. I can't remember what it's called but when my mother went to AL her VA benefit (widow of WW II vet) went from around $125/month to almost $1000/month. Your situation might be different due to the retired pay. Her's actually started sooner, she'd fallen and broken her hip and was considered partially housebound.

Spouse and Dependent Children Death Pension
There it is, it's called Aid and Attendance.
It will stop, except for a minimal base benefit, if she goes on MediCaid.

I set it up through her local VA office.

Thank you so much....I'm going to read the info you provided. It'll give me more insight for when I meet with the Maryland VA office in the morning. thank you for your response. :)

luvscats

She would be eligible for Charlotte Hall Veterans home as a spouse of a former military. They have an assisted living side that does not look at assets or money you have on hand. Your fee is based solely on 90% of your monthly income...whatever that may be...social security or whatever. My relative paid about $900 a month. His only income was soc. security. He did not retire from military but served about 10 years in air force. now he is on the nursing home side because of failing health. They look at income, money on hand and other assets (property etc). Call them and ask for admissions. They will give you all the info you need...no obligation. 301-884-8171 during business hours. Good luck!

I hadn't thought of this. This would be absolutely wonderful. I will call them also tomorrow. Thank you!

luvscats

Your meeting tomorrow should give you all the answers you need, and perhaps some peace of mind. My humble thanks to your father for his service an sacrifice.
Peace and prayers to you and your mother.

Your response brought tears to my eyes. Thank you kindly. My Dad was very, very proud of his military service. His uniform and performance were always impeccable. He loved this country and we were/are quite proud of what he and the family gave.

Thank you again.