Easter/Spring Baskets

Kirsten

Ok folks I know cari covered this a few days ago for her older daughter but now I need some thoughts.

Situation: Husband had a VERY realistic(as he puts it) nightmare about the easter candy being laced with poison, similar to the Tylenol nightmare in the 80's for those of us old enough to remember that. Hence he has forbidden ALL easter candy this year. Now this doesn't totally upset me, Daddy/EasterBunny, tends to OVER DO it by a long shot, one year had easter candy til nearly Halloween(most of it got tossed since it was nasty) since I won't let the kids gorge themselves.

Ok now I have come up with the idea of doing a nice planter of some sort and letting the kids "help" mommy plant flowers that they pick out and put them on my front door landing area. We saw the easter egg jello jigglers and going to give that a try, but need a couple of other ideas that aren't too expensive and aren't ALL toys. Does getting them some new spring clothing or things sound silly?

Ex: Oldest needs a couple new pairs of jeans, shorts and new hat and sunglasses.

Twins could use new sun hats and sunglasses. Also could use some lightweight jammies(mostly the girl)

Lucky me all my kids seem to have light sensitive eyes.

I mean they will all get these things no matter what but would it seem odd to put say the hats and sunglasses in their basket?

Ok huge idjut, ages would help huh?

Oldest is a boy and is 6
Twins are one boy and one girl will be 3 in May

Last edited:

Kirsten

Husband is SO FREAKED out by this nightmare he will NOT allow ANY easter candy of ANY sort in the house, might try to get just some regular stuff see if that will fly

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by Kirsten
Husband is SO FREAKED out by this nightmare he will NOT allow ANY easter candy of ANY sort in the house, might try to get just some regular stuff see if that will fly

Send him to a therapist and buy the kids some Easter Candy.

devilvice

Angel
I dont think your kids would mind sunglasses or hats in thier baskets. They are still young and would probably enjoy anything you give to them, especially the tots. What about coloring books, crayons, or learning books? Or put some kind of craft in the basket that you guys can work on together. Just some ideas...

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Actually your other ideas are fine. I gave my sons at that age (6) each a cheapie fishing pole from Wally World and a bunch of other stuff.

Bake a sheet cake for them and get some different color tubes of icing and let them paint away on it, then eat as much as they want and they'll never miss the candy. :lol:

Kirsten

Originally posted by Sharon
Actually your other ideas are fine. I gave my sons at that age (6) each a cheapie fishing pole from Wally World and a bunch of other stuff.

Bake a sheet cake for them and get some different color tubes of icing and let them paint away on it, then eat as much as they want and they'll never miss the candy. :lol:

Oh I like that idea, I have a Bunny cake pan, somedays I think I need to up my meds, other days I think there are too many.
Let the slamfest begin on that remark

Kirsten

Originally posted by devilvice
I dont think your kids would mind sunglasses or hats in thier baskets. They are still young and would probably enjoy anything you give to them, especially the tots. What about coloring books, crayons, or learning books? Or put some kind of craft in the basket that you guys can work on together. Just some ideas...

Ok got a library of books and quite a few coloring books, but I do like the craft idea, I have some old loop pot holder looms I could do with the oldest(even have spring colored loops), need to think of something age appropriate for the munchkins.

ps
THANK YOU for the ideas ladies, some days it is just a matter of getting the jumpstart to get going.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...

tell him you had a really, really freaky nightmare that you both had nookie and as a result, the kids' heads exploded ... thus, you can't have any nookie for the next year. :bubble:

when he gets done with the panic attack, go get your kids some damn easter candy! :ohwell: they're only kids once ... sheesh! :shrug:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by Mountain MaMa
pssst.. try making your own candy..theres tons of recipes and some of them are easy enough that the kids can help.

melted white chocolate with broken up candy canes is super yummy and easy to make!!! :yum:

Kirsten

Originally posted by tatercake
tell him you had a really, really freaky nightmare that you both had nookie and as a result, the kids' heads exploded ... thus, you can't have any nookie for the next year. :bubble:

when he gets done with the panic attack, go get your kids some damn easter candy! :ohwell: they're only kids once ... sheesh! :shrug:

LOL

Ok it is just the easter specific candy. I think we have reached the compromise of I can get just the normal stuff like a few Hershey bars and maybe some tubes of the M&M mini's. I like the idea of making some of our own, peppermint bark is always a big hit. Plus I don't mind the idea of cutting back on the sweets and gearing stuff more towards spring and such.

I know going along with his fear of no Easter specific candy is stupid but we have quite a few things going on with us and I rather not fight over something like this. If avoiding Easter oriented stuff will make him feel more at ease and just buying regular candies to put in will be just as nice then that is what we'll do. I know they are only young once believe me, but Daddy used to go over board anyhow and cutting back will be nice. And the homemade stuff you are all coming up with is great.

Elle

Happy Camper!
With Tyler's peanut allergy he's limited on his candy selections so we usually do lots alternatives. Mini boxes of cheese crackers, pudding cups, Flavor-Aid ice pops (the kind that are liquid when you buy them and then you freeze them at home). Easter bunny always spends about $20 on little toys too. Last year he got skates he had been wanting and some little step into reading books. This year stopped in the dollar store and got a Harry Potter kite, cowboy hat with sheriff’s star, cap gun and caps, sunglasses, bubbles, coloring books and arts & crafts crap like beads and sticks and such.

JabbaJawz

Be about it

Sounds like he needs to get a grip. :shrug:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Ok it is just the easter specific candy. I think we have reached the compromise of I can get just the normal stuff like a few Hershey bars and maybe some tubes of the M&M mini's.

That's weird. So Wal-Mart and other chain stores are selling Easter candy that is laced with poison, but all of the other candy is okay? Come on.....:rolleyes: I just can't see his logic...although, it's not logical at all so I suppose I shouldn't try.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Couple thoughts on this: If the Easter candy is poisoned, wouldn't there already be people getting sick? I don't know about your offices, everybody, but the folks around me have TONS of easter candy. I would think we'd see some trend here.

Also, when I was a boy my folks would get $5 worth of 50-cent pieces that they would hide around the living room (or some such place) and I would hunt them up. Then I had an extra $5 in my pocket to get my own stuff. Of course, I was at least 8 by then.