Should immigrants learn English!

B

BigBrothaCon

Anyone coming to the United States or any other country should make it their obligation to not only learn the language of the country they are moving to, but they should embrace it.  Americans are so ignorant to think that they can go to any other country in the world and stay there and not have to worry about learning the language.  Many expect the people to know English so that their needs are met and their time overseas is accomodating.  That is ridiculous and arrogant.  The same is expected of people coming to America.  Why should I have to learn an immigrants language if they are coming to America?  The language here is primarily English and the foundation of America was built upon that language.  Yeah it would be nice for me to accomodate them in any way I can, but how can anyone truly enjoy the benefits of America or any other nation if you do not know the native tongue.  I think your at a disadvantage if you refuse to assimilate into a culture that you are going to spend alot of time in.  Your thoughts please.

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
:clap:

I am in absolute agreement with you BB.  I think it is ok if you are visiting...you should still try...but it's ok if you are not fluent.

However, if you plan on living in any nation for any period of time...you SHOULD learn their language...fluently!!!
It's amazing how many people stay in America for years and years and years and years...and can't hold a simple conversation in English...it's a shame...
On top of it, English is such an easy language to learn. So, if someone doesn't know it...that tells me they have made absolutely no effort to learn the language of the country where they live....SHAME SHAME SHAME ... :nono:

The craziest thing of all...is that...
not only do they not know English...they expect you to know their language... how ridiculous is that??
What is up with my phone ringing...and the person who called me (I don't know who they are)...expects me to communicate with them in THEIR native language... I think not!!  Even if I know their language or could understand them, I continue to tell them that I don't understand them IN ENGLISH.  Learn it or struggle... I'm not gonna accomodate for ya!!!...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
See, Penguin?  You and I agree on lots of things!  You took the words right out of my mouth.

SxyPrincess

For Americans, English is an easy language but to the foreign-born is it quite a task.  It would probably be pretty difficult to go over to the Philippines and learn how to speak their language.  

In order to be granted permanent residency in the U.S., you must pass a history and english test.  Some of the questions I have to say, are pretty difficult.  Just because you are in the U.S. now, doesn't mean you are a resident.

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
Prince,

I'm foreign-born...English is the third language that I have learned...and let me tell you, compared to many other languages...English is extremely EASY!!!  Besides, how difficult could learning a language be.. when you can practice it by speaking it to others who speak the language... That is the best way to learn a language...through actual dialogue!!!  I would think it would be a lot easier to learn the language than live in a country and have a hard time interacting with others.

If I went to Philippines, I would learn their language...so that I could...(shop, ask for directions, order a meal, etc) ....interact with others.  I wouldn't expect them to cater to me and learn my language.  

Permanent or temporary...still a resident!!  It makes sense for any individual to learn the language of the nation in which he/she resides.  

SxyPrincess

AP,

I personally work with immigrants AND non-immigrants.  This is a subject I know a lot about.  I don't think it's fair for me to get into a dis-agreement with anyone on this topic.

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
That's great Prince...

I think it's "fair" to expect anyone in America to speak English.

Anyone that lives in America, in some way or another, represents America.  How can you represent America when you don't even know the language of America?? ...Just doesn't seem logical to me...

Frank

Chairman of the Board
I want to weigh in with my opinion too. Yes, for crying out loud. "Required" is harsh, as though it would be forced. But allowances for NOT learning - no way. While it's true that people from all over speak English, in no way would I *move* to a new country and not learn the language. For me to NOT learn, would be - and IS - an offense to the people of those nations.

I once knew a Chinese girl, born here but whose parents were from China. She told me she spoke not a *word* of Chinese, and that I probably knew more Chinese than she did.  She told me that her father was *determined* that his children would prosper and succeed in the new country - so Chinese was not even permitted at HOME. He wanted his children to be Americans. (She and her husband are doing VERY well).

I also knew some Italian plasterers from the North End of Boston. (That area is almost entirely Italian). They barely spoke any English whatsoever. What astonished me, was to learn they were BORN here! They lived their whole lives up to this point, speaking no English. That's insane.

Anyway, my only objection to the phrasing was  'required'. (I did vote yes). I just don't believe in allowances being made for people here. Nobody makes a big effort anywhere ELSE for me, and most people from other countries resent the fact that Americans DON'T learn their tongue while abroad. Why should the reverse not be true?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have to agree that new people to the country should learn English, at least to the point that they can communicate and get by in our society.

Case in point…. Years ago when I was still in California, I worked for an employment agency and placed people in temporary and permanent jobs.  We had a plum opening at a company that needed a bilingual (Chinese) administrative assistant to the President of the company.  We also had the “perfect” person for this position.  Problem… I called her several times, but her Grandmother kept answering the phone and she did not speak a lick of English and was unable to take a message for the person I was trying to reach.  

When the lady finally called me to see why I never called her for work, I had to explain that I had called three times and was unable to leave a message because her Grandmother could not understand me.  I told her about the job she lost out on and asked that perhaps she should invest in an answering machine.

I have traveled overseas and do try to make an effort with the language, but for the life of me… German is hard!   At least I have my little German (or French or Italian)/English dictionary so I can at least point to what it is I am trying to say.

alex

I totally agree.  There is no reason why people who come this country to live should not be required to speak and read english or learn it within a certain amount of time.

There is nothing wrong with people being bilingual.  I wish the schools would start teaching our children foreign languages in 1st grade when it is easier for them to learn then when they get to Junior or Senior High School.

My grandparents were from Italy and insisted that all of their children only speak english.  It is a shame in a way because none of their children or grandchildren can speak Italian.  What a loss!

PmoneyandTT

If you live here in America - YOu should be required to learn English.. If your parents are from a different country - and they live in America now.  They speak their language fluently and they speak English fluently - they should teach their children both languages.. Why should their ethnic background be taken away from them.. Thats telling me they are ashamed of who they are..

If I were to move to Italy - I know I better get my mind set on learning that language..

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I think that people coming here to live should at least make an attempt to learn the language, broken english is better than not even trying.

What cracks me up is the ATM machines ask you in English what language you would like to use. :lol:  What's up with that?

Back when I was in elementary school they did teach 2nd languages in 4th thru 6th grade and also in jr. high.  I guess they don't do it anymore.

When my sister was in Puerto Rico my niece went to a private spanish speaking school and she is very fluent (speaking and writing) and above all the other kids in her high school here.  Children learn faster than adults at 2nd languages but adults can learn also.  I think they just don't try because they don't have to.      

SxyPrincess

Agreeable!  However, it's easy for persons born in the U.S. or raised here ONLY speaking English to say that.  I see how difficult it is for people from all over the world.  Some have been here 20+ years and are still learning the English language.  

But...at least they ARE trying!  

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
I don't think it should be legally "required" ...I mean how would America be able to enforce that...and how would one be punished for failing to learn??
Anyway, everyone living here should be <b>expected</b> to know English.  That means all documents/services are supplied in English...and only in English.  When we provide documents/services in other languages....the incentive to learn English is taken away...and we show that it is not expected for everyone to know English.  For instance...why can you take a non-English test for your driver's license...when the rules of the road are in ENGLISH...I would assume that would result in some accidents...

I mean you don't have to know English perfectly... a lot of us make plenty of errors even in these forums... but fluently enough to interact with others...

For those born here and having parents of foreign nationality... I support learning about their origins and the American way.  So, learning both languages... Being American shouldn't have to mean forgetting/ignoring your roots... If the child is having a hard time handling both languages, then English is the obvious choice....

Vicki

America does not have an official language, through all our battles and triumphs to break away from England, we never stopped to think about how our freedom would affect the country for years to come, so America never officially adopted a language, it is just assumed that everyone should speak English, since that is how we got started in the first place.... once our government makes English our official language, then immigrants should be required to learn at least conversational English.

ALF1971

If you want to live here then you should speak the language and speak it clearly. If learning the language is a problem for you, then get the hell out of my country!

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
urrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Why do I have a clone?... this sucks!!

I read the post...thinking it was mine... and then thought to myself I KNOW I didn't write that...
I have a clone.. no fair!!!  :(

S

Sticks

Read my quote! Ofcourse they should, should our teachers learn every language there is so they can teach imigrants? NO!   I'm Irish and German, somewhere along the way my ancesters had to learn English or I would be speaking German, hanging with the Germans in our own little click and talking about the home land etc... One of the most important ties we have as a country is that we all basically speak the same language. Ever hear of a language barrier or  communications breakdown? When we go to war the very first thing we do after recon is destroy the enimies means of communication. If as a country, we don't speack the same language are we not doing that to ourselves. I am not going to learn a diferent language or pay an interpiter just to go to the grocery store to buy some rootbeer!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Sticks,

What quote?  Never mind I figured it out, your signature line.

Of course we should speak English, though maybe we should call it something else because if you listen to an Englander talk you would swear they were speaking Greek.  

(Edited by Ken King at 5:50 pm on Jan. 16, 2002)