US military allowed to wear uniforms at gay pride

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18919556

The US military will for the first time allow its members to wear uniform at a gay pride march.

The permission was granted for the Gay Pride Parade in San Diego, California, on Saturday, a military-wide Pentagon directive said.

The memo said the move was a one-off exception for this year's march only.

It comes after a longstanding ban on openly gay people serving in the US military - known as "don't ask, don't tell" - was ended last year.

"Based on our current knowledge of the event and current policies, we hereby are granting approval for service members in uniform to participate in this year's parade," Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defence Rene Bardorf said in the directive.

Vince

Maybe Mr. Bardorf shouldn't disregard Directive 1334.1 They never shove the Directives aside, but now they do because of gay pride? :bs:

NTNG

It is an insult to those of us that have worn the uniform, to encourage this. If a gay service person wants to march, then march in civvies. This is another chance for the administration to pander for votes.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
It is an insult to those of us that have worn the uniform, to encourage this. If a gay service person wants to march, then march in civvies. This is another chance for the administration to pander for votes.

I wore the uniform for several years and don't feel insulted.:shrug:

Vince

:yeahthat:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
These parades are a VERY bad move for the US because:

We'll be at war with Islam for the rest of our lives.
Muslims HATE & kill all homos.
Homos will be more prevalent and visible in our military now.
The enemy will step up it's inside attacks (Hasaan tactics) on our bases now.

Am I the only one who thinks like this?

Mabus

Free Rent
These parades are a VERY bad move for the US because:

We'll be at war with Islam for the rest of our lives.
Muslims HATE & kill all homos.
Homos will be more prevalent and visible in our military now.
The enemy will step up it's inside attacks (Hasaan tactics) on our bases now.

Am I the only one who thinks like this?

I'm starting to see where your hatred for Muslims originates from

MMM_donuts

What concerns me about this is that I thought, when entering the military, you agree not to use your uniform in any demonstration of this nature. If that is the case then the military would be encouraging MORE decisiveness due to the special treatment of one group of individuals over another - and that is counterproductive to the movement of treating everyone equally.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I wore the uniform for several years and don't feel insulted.:shrug:
I did too and I am insulted.

Let the fruits wear civies if they want to flaunt their perverted lifestyle.

The uniform should be revered and respected, not worn in a pansy parade.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
What concerns me about this is that I thought, when entering the military, you agree not to use your uniform in any demonstration of this nature. If that is the case then the military would be encouraging MORE decisiveness due to the special treatment of one group of individuals over another - and that is counterproductive to the movement of treating everyone equally.
That's correct! The military had PDA rules too. I wonder if the queers who jumped into each others arms received an article 15 under the UCMJ.

MMM_donuts

That's correct! The military had PDA rules too. I wonder if the queers who jumped into each others arms received an article 15 under the UCMJ.

Yeah, we ha PDA rules too but after 9/11 they were often disregarded. Like, I knew many ground side Marines that were hard core about those rules but in the air wing no one seemed to really care when returning from deployments. That makes me wonder if the PDA pictures we see are from an environment where it wouldn't be punished regardless of the sexual orientation.

acommondisaster

Who cares. This administration has done everything it can to dishonor the military and its uniforms. From Navy Corpsemen, to making a circus out of gay first off the boat kisses (why'd they bother to make a big too doo about it?) to stolen valor. I believe every effort is being made to diminish the pride and honor that goes with being in the military.

BOP

I served, but I'm not sure insulted is the right term for how I feel. I do know this: active members of the military are not allowed to take part in any kind of political event or activity wherein what they say or do (including the wearing of their uniform) can be construed as official endorsement by the military.

The parades alone aren't necessarily political, but advertising one's gayness, while in uniform, in the public eye, absolutely is political. Were it not, there would be no need, and it would absolutely be punished.

Regardless of how each of us individually feels about gays openly serving in the military, making a spectacle out of themselves in this way mocks the uniform, as well as virtually everything else the military stands for. I'm sure they don't mean for it to mock, but the simple fact is that anything that detracts from what the uniform symbolizes (honor, courage, commitment, duty, trust) is prohibited by the UCMJ.

Last edited:

acommondisaster

making a spectacle out of themselves in this way mocks the uniform

That's it in a nutshell. I don't freaking care that there are gays in the military; we all know there always have been and always will be gays serving. BFD. I DO care that a group of people have a need to flaunt it in some sort of "in your face" manner. I agree, it's politically motiviated and therefore wrong.

If I were in SD I would be PROTESTING the parade in uniform. This is one protest where you can wear the uniform, since it is in direct correlation to the parade.