Life After Military Retirement

Scribbler33

The changes that occur after you retire span the globe (sometimes, literally). Everything really depends on where you end up living after you retire:

1) I've run into Americans who prefer to live in Europe or Asia after retirement. They’re not necessarily expatriates, and most plan to return to the United States someday. They seem to have become accustomed to being overseas - they like particular regions on the planet - or they like to travel (if you work in Japan, you have the whole of Asia to explore, and it doesn't take an extended plane flight to start your trip).

2) Your paycheck may take a dive. Although many people believe that military retirees are overpaid (the people who state this usually did not do twenty-plus years in uniform), the reality may be that you are suddenly making a lot less money than you were making when you were in uniform - even though your house payment is still the same amount (pension plus whatever day job you luck into may not equal your old active duty paycheck). I twice took a 75% cut in overall pay just to survive in the day jobs I had before I became a full-time freelance writer.

3) You may accept been a chief noncom if you were on alive duty, but already you retire, your bounded aggressive dental dispensary may alone accommodate affliction to alive assignment soldiers. Generally true, and generally harder to get acclimated to getting advised as if you are a additional chic citizen. If you shy abroad from aggressive bases afterwards you get out, that may be a acceptable thing, because your bounded noncombatant dentist is the leveler of all arena fields, as it appealing abundant costs the aforementioned for anybody to accept a dentist assignment appropriate next to that nerve.

4) You get weekends off now (ha). That depends on what your next day job is. After I retired, I did a assignment alive in an emergency operations centermost that appropriate 8- and 12-hour about-face plan - with the aforementioned accouterment formed periodically on weekends. At a altered job, I congenital up 200 hours of overtime in a two-week aeon that appropriate spending nights in a action training breadth - so I guess, the advocacy is to be accurate during your alternative of your next day job - because you can generally be approved out for your aggressive abilities - and again you're appropriate aback area you started.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
That was difficult to read, just what is a "bounded aggressive dental dispensary"?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
The toughest part for me was figuring out what the hell I was going to wear to work the next day.

NTNG

The toughest part for me was figuring out what the hell I was going to wear to work the next day.

I still have to resist the urge to choke some of my coworkers when they complain about "Those Sailors" at the gate making them late for work because they were too slow checking ID cards at the gate. That, as well as "Those Sailors" who were driving GSE on the road, and not doing the speed limit. My favorite is when well paid contractors or GS employees complain about military who leave early on a Friday, or get a "96" from the CO on holiday weekends!

terbear1225

3 and 4 are completely illegible. And 2 is the same as just about anyone who retires. What exactly was the point of this post?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
3 and 4 are completely illegible. And 2 is the same as just about anyone who retires. What exactly was the point of this post?

Actually he has 2 somewhat wrong..

For those that were in the military 20 years and stationed either on a major base on shore or shipboard.. they don't even know what an electric bill is.. or rent..

They look at retirment as a true 50% of what they are making, then they get out and have to pay for water, sewer, electric AND rent.. and in the most extreme of cases (I don't think it's this way any longer) you could get out after 20 years and not own ANY furniture because the military provided it for you.. You find a place to rent, and now you have to furnish it!!

All of a sudden they realize, they really aren't getting 50%, not even close.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I think he found Miller High Life

Come on, man. please.

Anybody ever stationed overseas, in the early 70's, at the end of the month, from the Top five store on base, would be buying Schlitz or Magnum 44, only if Boones Farm was not available.

Miller High Life would be a luxury only found on the off-base bar scene.....

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Come on, man. please.

Anybody ever stationed overseas, in the early 70's, at the end of the month, from the Top five store on base, would be buying Schlitz or Magnum 44, only if Boones Farm was not available.

Miller High Life would be a luxury only found on the off-base bar scene.....

Real Men went to the Class VI store....

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Real Men went to the Class VI store....

We had what we had for the Nav Ex liquor shop, and at the end of the month, what was left was what was left, which was usunally not too much.

Off base in Asmara, Ethiopia (now Eritrea) was always a hoot. Melotti beer did pretty good for the local, Italian brewed brand.:buddies: