FIRST BORN vs SECOND BORN

meme

The Smart Hooker
I was wondering if anyone out there had a problem of jealousy with their first born when their second born came along? :confused:

K

Kizzy

My oldest was great when my second was born. Now, once the youngest started getting up and around and touching his toys it became a completely different issue. I just reminded the oldest how important being a big brother is and how much the youngest will look up to him. :shrug: My children are 3 1/2 years apart.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I'm sure I'll have a slight issue with my 1st gal when my 2nd gal arrives. She'll turn 5 when baby is 3 mos. old. I think she'll do great in our family unit, but will be EXTREMELY jealous that her Granny and Grampy aren't JUST hers anymore. I'm an only child, so my daughter is my parents' only grandchild. They are very involved with her, and she even gets ticked off when my Mom comes over and talks to me for longer than she thinks she ought to. Of course I put her in her place, but still. Like I said, my daughter will do great in our family environment from what I can see - she plans to help a ton, etc... and we'll make private time that's just for her and not the baby. However, Granny is my daughter's #1...and she's going to be a bit miffed at having to share Gran and Gramps w/someone else.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
One would think that the 40 year age difference would help. It doesn't... I still have to seperate the two of them. :rolleyes:

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by RoseRed
One would think that the 40 year age difference would help. It doesn't... I still have to seperate the two of them. :rolleyes:

:roflmao:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by RoseRed

:killingme I feel like a tard...I actually had to think for a minute about what you meant. :bonk:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I didn't have a problem when my brother was born, but he was only 16 months younger than me. We both hated my sister as soon as she was born (three years after my brother) and would tell mom to take her back to the hospital and give her back. We still don't really like her. :ohwell: :wink:

I think that with a second child coming into the picture, it's not that bad. Most of the 3 or 4 year olds that I know with newborn brothers or sisters are not jealous and are actually very protective of the baby.

Last edited:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
I tried to involve number one when I was pregnant with number two. I told him about the baby and how he was going to be a big brother and how babies don't know anything and rely on big brother's to teach them. He came into the hospital room and although he could barely speak, he announced to the room that this was "his baby." We have some sibling issues now, they fight over toys and such, but it's not too bad. And number one absolutely adores number 3.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by Barbra
I'm the middle child in my family. My older sister repeatedly cut my bangs off right to the skin when I was little. :lmao:

do what I plan on doing ... get her back by doing the same thing to her kids. :bubble:

CMC122

Go Braves!
#1 was 7 when #2 was born and couldn't have been more excited. She was involved with everything. There is 17 months difference between #2 and #3. #1 was almost 9 when he was born. She did fab again. #2 Was shocked when a baby actually showed up at the house. #2 actually did really good until #3 started moving around. Sometimes #2 acts lilke #3 is poison but he is very protective of #1 and #3. Actually there are all very protective of eachother they are now 10, 2 and 16 months.

Last edited:
C

Chicagofan

My oldest is now 24 and the 2nd one (both girls) is 18. The first is still extrememly jealous of the second. The oldest told me just the other day that she never wanted her in the first place and still doesn't.

Elle

Happy Camper!
I think it depends a lot on the age difference and the children themselves in general. There is 2 years between me and sister #2, but my youngest sister #3 is 5 years younger than me. #2 and I have never really gotten along great I think mainly b/c we just have 2 totally different personalities but #3 and I always have gotten along well and are a lot more a like. Also, there always seemed to be a lot of competition between me & #2 and #2 & #3growing up.

Now my son is 5 and begs daily for a brother or sister and just by his laid-back demeanor, if I ever got crazy enough to try for another one, I don’t think there would ever be a jealousy issue.

Nanny Pam

Originally posted by tatercake
do what I plan on doing ... get her back by doing the same thing to her kids. :bubble:

I saw that! Leave your brother's kids alone. Forget the fact that he shaved your head....I told you it would grow back, and it did!!

:huggy:
XOXOXOX

Nanny Pam

My kids are 4 years apart. Son was born first. He was always a snuggley little boy. He always wanted to be on my lap. Always ready for huggy time. Daughter was Miss Independant. The kids got along great till daughter was about 2 1/2.
I remember one day when he came home from school, he comes in the door and says, "why does she still live here, Mommy?"

crabcake

Originally posted by Nanny Pam
I remember one day when he came home from school, he comes in the door and says, "why does she still live here, Mommy?"

:frown: he said that? that's it ... I'm gonna hang those flyers all over the place next time I come over, and I'm not omitting his phone number, either! :mad:

crabcake

Originally posted by Nanny Pam
I saw that! Leave your brother's kids alone. Forget the fact that he shaved your head....I told you it would grow back, and it did!!

:huggy:
XOXOXOX

I look at it like the reparations argument ... I'll take payback out of whoever I can get it ... I was wronged dammit! :mad: I want someone to make it right, and the only one who looks willing and able is his little 2 year old baby girl with the pretty long brown hair he likes combing and braiding for her. :really: :bubble: