Kitty Eating Me Out of House and Home: HELP!!!

pilot

I have a cat that wants to eat everything in sight, and I mean EVERYTHING! She's worse than any dog I've ever seen. I don't understand it. I thought cats were supposed to NOT overeat. This one just eats and eats and eats. Whenever I'm eating my own food, she sits and watches me and cries. If I put down my plate for one second, she's right on it! I have two other cats, and when it's time to feed them, I have to keep an eye out or my little "tubby"-cat will shove them out of the way and go straight for their food!

When I'm sleeping, she wraps her little paws around my ankle so that she'll know the SECOND I get up (when it's time for breakfast). If I try to sleep in, she takes her little claws and goes for the most vulnerable spots--like the bottom of my feet or the back of my knees.

Does anyone else have a similar problem with their cats? What does one do?

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
A friend of mine had a cat like that. She rescued her as a very skinny stray and once she got a full belly, she kept going and just kept eating. It must stem from feelings of abandonment and fear of starvation.

My friend wound up giving the cat to her parents as the only cat in the household. They controlled her food so she could only eat at certain times of the day and only so much at a time. They also got her a food designed for overweight cats with more bulk so she would feel full without eating so many calories. She got to a healthier weight pretty quickly with only a hanging belly flap of skin to show how overweight she had actually been.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I think my cat is bulimic (sp?). She likes to scarf and :barf:

Another question... is she related to Miss Daisy? :confused:

lucaswebco

Hey, I got three of them eating me out of house and home. They seem to think that food is love. Walk by the kitchen and get squealed at by three cats. Morning, noon and night.

Shakezula

Insert Lame Innuendo Here
Originally posted by RoseRed
I think my cat is bulimic (sp?). She likes to scarf and :barf:

I think a lot of cats do this :)
(or they all have bullemia? j/k!)

They completely gorge themselves if they are hungry and then they eat so fast their stomach gets upset and... blehhhh. (Then they're hungry again!)
I've noticed if my cats hurl right after eating- grossness, but when you clean it up, take a look- the food isn't even really chewed up. It's sometimes still in whole pieces (if you feed dry food anyway).

Do you think the kitty could have tapeworms??

Toxick

Splat
Another cat problem:

My cat has developed the exceptionally annoying habit of crapping in the bathtub. By the smell, she pees in there too, but it runs down the drain, so I haven't seen any cat-whiz. This cat used to use the litterbox religiously. Until about two months ago.

I swear sometimes, I go in the bathroom, and I want to puke. Not to mention, if I go in there for a shower, It takes me five minutes to prepare while I scoop out the crap and squirt off the tub with hot water so I'm not standing in feces while I'm trying to get squeaky clean.

My wife and I both close the door, but we have a 5 year old who often forgets to close it when he goes potty, and the cat zips in there before I get a chance to discover the open door, and craps in the tub.

Then I started to leave about an inch or so of water in the bottom of the tub at all times, but then she just sat on the ledge hung her butt down, and released her clinkers that way using the tub like a giant commode.

Anybody have experience with this? Besides chaining the cat to the litter-box how can I make her take a dump where she's supposed to?

PS. I'm serious.

nomoney

Re: Another cat problem:

Originally posted by Toxick
My cat has developed the exceptionally annoying habit of crapping in the bathtub. By the smell, she pees in there too, but it runs down the drain, so I haven't seen any cat-whiz. This cat used to use the litterbox religiously. Until about two months ago.

I swear sometimes, I go in the bathroom, and I want to puke. Not to mention, if I go in there for a shower, It takes me five minutes to prepare while I scoop out the crap and squirt off the tub with hot water so I'm not standing in feces while I'm trying to get squeaky clean.

My wife and I both close the door, but we have a 5 year old who often forgets to close it when he goes potty, and the cat zips in there before I get a chance to discover the open door, and craps in the tub.

Then I started to leave about an inch or so of water in the bottom of the tub at all times, but then she just sat on the ledge hung her butt down, and released her clinkers that way using the tub like a giant commode.

Anybody have experience with this? Besides chaining the cat to the litter-box how can I make her take a dump where she's supposed to?

PS. I'm serious.

the ps. Im serious made this even funnier :lmao::killingme:

Cowgirl

Hmm....are you feeding your cats 2x a day? If you're only feeding once, try adding some feedings (but feed the same amt) so she feels like she gets to eat more...that might work.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Cowgirl
try adding some feedings (but feed the same amt) so she feels like she gets to eat more...that might work.
Hear that Toxick, that should help you out a lot.

Jameo

What?!

PS. I'm serious.

First of all.............. :lmao: :killingme

Ok now..... have you tried to put the litter box in the bath tub :confused: The cat might run in there to take a dump and realize the litter box in there and start using it again

Toxick

Splat
Re: Re: Another cat problem:

Originally posted by Jameo
Ok now..... have you tried to put the litter box in the bath tub :confused: The cat might run in there to take a dump and realize the litter box in there and start using it again

That's a good idea.

However, we have another cat. He uses the litterbox. I don't want to get him into the habit of using the tub as his terlet.

I guess we could buy a little cheap little litterbox until she gets back in the groove.

Hot N Bothered

Cats who are really good about the litterbox, who suddenly start going elsewhere often have a bladder infection or some other issue that makes it painful to go. They often associate the pain with the litterbox itself, so they go elsewhere.

I'd call the vet.

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by Hot N Bothered
Cats who are really good about the litterbox, who suddenly start going elsewhere often have a bladder infection or some other issue that makes it painful to go. They often associate the pain with the litterbox itself, so they go elsewhere.

I'd call the vet.

I don't think it's a bladder infection, since it's not pee that's the problem. But it might not be a bad idea to call a vet. I never considered that it might be a sign of a medical situation.

Hot N Bothered

I don't think it's a bladder infection, since it's not pee that's the problem. But it might not be a bad idea to call a vet. I never considered that it might be a sign of a medical situation.
Maybe bladder, maybe intestinal, but either would make her hate the litterbox and avoid it at all costs, regardless of what she needs to do with it.

Shakezula

Insert Lame Innuendo Here
I have a cat who refuses to share a litterbox... when I lived with my family, she had to stay locked up in my room with her own litterbox (the other kitties had their own too), and she was fine. WHen I moved out, I took her with me- NO problems since. You may want to see what happens if you keep her in a room with a litterbox (by herself) and see if she uses it?

Racingwolf

PS. I'm serious.

OMG!!!!!!:lmao: :roflmao: :lmao: :roflmao: :shocked: :lmao: :roflmao: I am sorry for what you are going through, but that was just too funny!!!!