Is it ok to be mad at God?

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Is it? How much are we able to take before we had have enough? In the past year; my daughter has been through numerous eye surguries to save her vision, my wife has been fighting cancer and the chemo treatments that are just as bad as the cancer, we had to close her business and file chapter 7, my credit is shot because of medical bills that we will never be able to pay off(no medical insurance for her), we will probably loose the house and everything else we own. Then Sunday I get a call that my 85 year old father had a heart attack and needed a triple by-pass that he received yesterday. There is more, beleive me, but I think I listed enough
Everyone tells me that God only gives you as much as you can handle. I am at the breaking point.
If God knows all,,,,how can he let things like this happen? How can I not question my faith? Do I have a right to be mad at God? :confused:

J

justhangn

I swear, I'm about to draw a warm bath tonight......

I'm sorry for your hardships Chuckster.....

You have every right to be mad at whatever higher being you feel is letting you down.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Just know that all these things are out of your control so no matter who/what you choose to blame, it won't change anything; you'll have only wasted effort being angry. Don't let trying times get the best of you. Just take care of your family the best way you know and take each day one at a time. Hope things improve for you and your family soon! :huggy:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Is there anything we can do for you and your family Chuckster? I'm so sorry for all your going through.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Ever read the book of Job? God does things for his own reasons. Yes, get mad at him, but if you are the religious type, then you should believe that if you hold faith in God, despite all the hardships that befall you, then in the end you will be rewarded, in this life or in the next.

I'm sorry for your problems. Be strong, perservere, do this for your family. If you don't see the reward, your children will.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Thank you all for your kind words. I just had to vent.
I am not trying to blame anyone for what is happening in my life right now and I do realize that all of this is out of my control. But I was taught by the "Good Sisters" and the strong Jesuit Priests, that God is all knowing, all loving and all forgiving. If he knew, we HE created man, that he would have to forgive mans sins and that he would love use anyway,,, why does he put this weight on us? My wife and my daughter are good people and really don't deserve to be going through what they have been. Could he be testing my faith? Am I wrong to question or doubt?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:frown: Chuckster, I am extremely sorry that this is happening to you and your family, and as I was going over in my mind what I could possibly say to you, I read what cmcdanal posted: God does things to us humans we cannot fully fathom or understand.

She's right: go and read the Book of Job if you need to seek answers(and I'm fairly sure you do); try and read and comprehend. It's an agonizing relation, but delves into the thoughts of a man who feels he is innocent, has served God all his life, and is perplexed why his God is allowing these calamities to befall him.

You are aware of Corinthians 10:13, you just have to trust in that verse.

You want answers to what is happening, read the Book in it's entirety, and there you might find what you're seeking, through his experiences.

Bottom line is: You have the Faith; keep it!

There will be an explanation, an atonement, in this life or the next.

It may not make a whole lot of sense to us now, but there will be an answer forthcoming, you just have to trust in it.

The Lord Be With You and Yours.

Last edited:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by chuckster
Thank you all for your kind words. I just had to vent.
I am not trying to blame anyone for what is happening in my life right now and I do realize that all of this is out of my control. But I was taught by the "Good Sisters" and the strong Jesuit Priests, that God is all knowing, all loving and all forgiving. If he knew, we HE created man, that he would have to forgive mans sins and that he would love use anyway,,, why does he put this weight on us? My wife and my daughter are good people and really don't deserve to be going through what they have been. Could he be testing my faith? Am I wrong to question or doubt?

Like cmcdanal says... if you're really seeking an answer to this question, read the book of Job.

And be thankful that your daughter can still see... and your wife is still able to fight her disease, and your father is still alive. That in and of itself may be a gift from God in your trying times.

I wish you strength, and peace.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Originally posted by sleuth14

And be thankful that your daughter can still see... and your wife is still able to fight her disease, and your father is still alive. That in and of itself may be a gift from God in your trying times.

This has really hit home. Guess that I never looked at the other side of the situation.
I have not or will loose my faith. You all have touched and helped me tonight. Thank you.
My family is strong and we will see these things to whatever the ending might be.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Chuckster

I'm genuinely sorry to hear about the problems you are going thru. :huggy:

Let me just say that everyone has troubles at one time or another that seem overpowering. If you already have faith in God, this is a time for you to let Him pick you up instead of tossing Him aside.

You should count your blessings that your own father has lived to the ripe age of 85. My children lost their father when they were young. At his funeral I met a woman ( friend of a friend) who's own husband was killed suddenly in a mid-air collision, he was a military pilot. Her (their) only child died a year later after his father. She was devastated.

Before we met, my current husband lost his job for a year. Though he was never any good with money, he later went bankrupt and sold his airplane and his waterfront house. During this time his mother was living with him - she had cancer and moved back to Alabama to be with relatives who could care for her. When she died, he couldn't even get to the funeral, his life was in such disarray and he was very depressed.

Often we think we are the only ones who have times of strife and forget that others have been there before us. Lean on your friends, neighbors, and family to help get you thru this dark period, if they are offering you help. You don't have to carry this burden alone.

Hessian

Chuckster...
I was thinking if there was anyone else in scripture that was mad at God. I thought of plenty in grief (David especially) and he mourned the loss of at least two sons...betrayals, embarrassments etc....
I think Psalms might be worth looking at. I can't fathom the struggle you are facing but know that there are many who are willing to help-in your local parish or church.
The anger will subside...and the answers might come over time,..the storm will pass--just keep your roots deep.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Chuckster,

The wise council of others that have posted before me is inspirational. I would add that I too have gone through times when I have gotten very mad at God. We all feel this way from time to time, and yet we are still so loved by God that we are forgiven through our faith in Jesus Christ.

Only one verse I would add to the many already offered for you and that is Romans 8:28. It has been a great comfort to me in the past. "We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose."

If you ever need a friend to talk/write to, you know that you can PM me or any of those offering support here, I'm sure.

ceo_pte

I love Psalm 23. Maybe it will help you. God Bless you and your family. Watch your words too. Words are seeds and they are powerful. God created everything by speaking it into existence. We are saved by asking God to forgive us. Check your PM.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
The posts here and the PM's that I have received have really helped. I will try to read all of the ifo that all of you have suggested.
I guess that the bottom line is that yes I can be mad at God but I will not loose my faith in Him or His master plan.
The hardest part of all of this is that I have to be the family cheer-leader. I have to keep my wife and daughter in an "up" frame of mind.....be the optimist. For the most part, this is easiest thing to do. I love them both very much and I realized some time ago that this, keeping their spirits up was very important.
It only gets tough when I am alone with my thoughts. They have had me or each other to talk to. I get to talk to me. Guess I know now that it is ok to reach out to people that I have never met and ask for help or just to talk.
Thanks again to all of you

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by tlatchaw
If you ever need a friend to talk/write to, you know that you can PM me or any of those offering support here, I'm sure.

:yeahthat:

Chuck, I've kept your entire family in my prayers for months now, and had the pleasure of seeing your daughter the other day for the 1st time in a while. I'm so sorry for your hard times, and certainly hope things improve. :smile: