I baked cookies

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Ok, my kid's kindergarten teacher tells me he is behind in his reading. He doesn't know all his letters and their sounds. So I did some flash cards with him and narrowed it down to 5 letters he has trouble with.

So I baked cookies in the shape of these letters. He can only have them if he can identify him. It's amazing what he learned in the half hour or so it took me to bake them. :rolleyes:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by Dymphna
Ok, my kid's kindergarten teacher tells me he is behind in his reading. He doesn't know all his letters and their sounds. So I did some flash cards with him and narrowed it down to 5 letters he has trouble with.

So I baked cookies in the shape of these letters. He can only have them if he can identify him. It's amazing what he learned in the half hour or so it took me to bake them. :rolleyes:

You know whatelse works is the window markers. When my niece was living with me she was behind and we did practise work on the windows which made it fun. She picked up quite a bit after that.

I like the new name:wink:

Dymphna

Re: Re: Re: I baked cookies

Originally posted by Sharon
Is that Zippy? :confused:
yep
someone told me I couldn't rag on his family unless I changed my name. He was afraid they'd find me.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Re: Re: Re: Re: I baked cookies

yep
someone told me I couldn't rag on his family unless I changed my name. He was afraid they'd find me.
:killingme:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
is it letter recognition or the sounds they make with other letters that he has trouble with? once the DQ had her letters down, we'd spend the 10 or so minute ride home each day from daycare looking for things that begin with letters and whenever she'd find something, i'd spell it for her and explain how sometimes, certain letters are tricky (C's were a challenge b/c of the "s" and "k" sounds).

Dymphna

Originally posted by tatercake
is it letter recognition or the sounds they make with other letters that he has trouble with? once the DQ had her letters down, we'd spend the 10 or so minute ride home each day from daycare looking for things that begin with letters and whenever she'd find something, i'd spell it for her and explain how sometimes, certain letters are tricky (C's were a challenge b/c of the "s" and "k" sounds).
Both. There are 5-6 letters he has trouble identifying. I'm not sure where he is lacking in sounds. I'm doing a number of different things with him hoping one approach or another will click with him.

Dymphna

Originally posted by migtig
I'll be happy to relearn my alphabet if you make me cookies. :yum:
But will you teach my kid? If you could manage that I'd bake you cookies from scratch (these were refridgerated dough)

Angel

~*~*~
Re: Re: Re: Re: I baked cookies

yep
i had a teacher in school who's name was zippy........ :dance:

Dymphna

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I baked cookies

Originally posted by Angel
i had a teacher in school who's name was zippy........ :dance:
I hope that was just a nickname. In my case, it's a screen name on another forum.