Report details heroism in Osprey crash aftermath

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"Newly released documents paint a picture of heroism in the immediate aftermath of an Osprey crash that left two Marines dead and two more seriously wounded.

“Several members of the 24the Marine Expeditionary Unit were highlighted as repeatedly going above and beyond to render immediate assistance in a known hazardous environment,” according to the final investigation into the catastrophic April 11 crash in Morocco that occurred during a joint exercise with that country’s armed forces. “Rapid response by a multi-lateral force, highlighted by heroic individual Marines’ actions and top-quality emergency care by U.S. Naval medical personnel undoubtedly saved lives.”

Supporting documents, including eyewitness statements, detail actions by Marines — including an infantry commander and a motor transport Marine — that should “be recognized for their selfless efforts,” according to the investigating officer.

The tragedy occurred seconds after takeoff."

"Without hesitation, the commander of 2nd Platoon, Bravo Company, Battalion Landing Team 1/2, ran to the wreckage. He saw fuel pouring from the right wing and the engines were still spinning, according to an interview summary written by the investigating officer, but “he said a prayer and went to where he could enter the aircraft.”

A group of logistics Marines about a quarter of a mile from the crash site also descended on the downed aircraft, using an axe to hack their way into the badly mangled fuselage.

“I started pulling back the fiber glass siding and ripping it to part,” wrote one Marine with Combat Logistics Battalion 24, out of Camp Lejeune, N.C. “It was hard and I couldn’t pull it back as the fiberglass torn (sic) through my hands.”

Together they rescued the pilots and pulled both crew chiefs, one dead and one dying, from the wreckage."