Adm. McRaven tells troops to pipe down

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

" WASHINGTON (AP) -- Special operations chief Adm. Bill McRaven warned his troops, current and former, that he would take legal action against anyone found to have exposed sensitive information that could cause fellow forces harm.

"We will pursue every option available to hold members accountable, including criminal prosecution where appropriate," the four-star commander wrote, in an open, unclassified letter emailed to the active-duty special operations community Thursday, and obtained by The Associated Press.

The warning came a day after a retired Navy commando revealed he is publishing a first-hand account of the raid that killed Osama bin Laden. Pentagon officials say they have not been given a chance to review the book.

It also follows a media campaign by special operations veterans, decrying alleged leaks by President Barack Obama's administration of secret operations, and criticizing Obama's highlighting the raid as part of his reelection campaign.

McRaven also took former special operators to task for "using their `celebrity' status to advance their personal or professional agendas."

He acknowledged that former service members are "well within their rights to advocate for certain causes or write books about their adventures," but he cautioned them against claiming to speak for all special operations troops and against endangering troops by what they write."

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
He acknowledged that former service members are "well within their rights to advocate for certain causes or write books about their adventures," ."

The only part that matters..or is relevant.

Perhaps you would explain why it is that you fully support Manning's espionage and Assange's taking full advantage of that espionage to the maximum detriment of this country..while apparently taking issue with som ex-military folks expressing their heartburn over White House operational security leaks.

I don't get it.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm surprised he left out the biggest perpetrator..

Why not tell Obama and his staff and cabinet to shut the hell up or else too?

If there are grounds for criminal action against the troops that were there, there is definitely grounds for criminal charges against the White House.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
They are no longer active duty and therefore can say anything they want and express their opinions freely. They not only have that right as Americans, but they have defended that right as members of our military. So whatever they have to say, they can say, and should be listened too.

Meanwhile active duty military members can have no opinion that reflects poorly upon their commander in chief. Therefore Chief Adm. Bill McRaven's statements are suspect and most likely were written by the Obama camp. :shrug:

BTW, who released McRaven's letter to the press? :eyebrow: Yeah....

bcp

In My Opinion
They are no longer active duty and therefore can say anything they want and express their opinions freely. They not only have that right as Americans, but they have defended that right as members of our military. So whatever they have to say, they can say, and should be listened too.

Meanwhile active duty military members can have no opinion that reflects poorly upon their commander in chief. Therefore Chief Adm. Bill McRaven's statements are suspect and most likely were written by the Obama camp. :shrug:

I agree with most of what you wrote, however I do not agree with the should be listened to.
The constitution gives the right to speak, but nowhere is there a constitutional right to be heard.

MMDad

Lem Putt
So Boy, why do you celebrate free speech in one thread then support stifling free speech in another?

Actually you are still sworn to keep some things secret. They don't let you see all kinds of TS info and then let you out of the service without a debrief. I would think even as a civilian that had held a TS clearance you'd best be watching what you say or write.

They are no longer active duty and therefore can say anything they want and express their opinions freely.

Actually you are still sworn to keep some things secret.

When you obtain a clearance, the paper you sign clearly states you are still not permitted to reveal sensitive info even after you retire/quit/get debriefed/etc. Once you have a clearance, it's for life.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Perhaps its just me that is confused..but have any of the ex-military folks that appeared in the video that slams all the OpSec leaking coming from the White House been accused of releasing TS or other classified information themselves?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Not exactly true, classified material is still classified wether you're in the military or not.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Perhaps its just me that is confused..but have any of the ex-military folks that appeared in the video that slams all the OpSec leaking coming from the White House been accused of releasing TS or other classified information themselves?

Give it time, give it time. Holder may announce any change in their status November 7th.

BOP

When you obtain a clearance, the paper you sign clearly states you are still not permitted to reveal sensitive info even after you retire/quit/get debriefed/etc. Once you have a clearance, it's for life.

You're partially correct. Once you ETS, your clearance is no longer valid. Well, technically, it's inactive. It can be reactivated within 24 months, but until that happens, you have no access to anything.