Curiosity

watercolor

yeah yeah
Out of the Seven Deadly Sins-
Which one do you think is the worst and why?
And which do you think should not be in there?

Greed

Gluttony

Lust

Envy

Sloth

Wrath

Pride

I personally think that the worst one is Greed. For the fact that, no matter what that is showing selfishness in all aspects.

I personally think all of these are pretty bad, and not to be removed, but Pride is the lesser of all those. In my opinion anyway:cheesy:

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
Good one color!

why don't you make it into a poll... so we can see the votes...

I'll have to think on this a bit...be back later with my opinion.

Last edited:

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
I think the worst one is <b>Pride</b>.
Pride can be a positive attribute.
However, if you have too much pride...it can lead to a lot of evil. Pride can drive a person to do almost anything. Pride can also keep you from sharing loving relationships with others. Pride can prevent you from appreciating and acknowledging God. In excess, pride can be stronger than love. Ultimately, pride is a root of self-destruction.
Pride seems harmless at first...but it is dangerous without limit.

Which one should not be on the list?
I think <b>Gluttony</b> should not be there.
IMO, <i>gluttony</i> is counted for in <i>greed</i>. So, it is redundant to add gluttony if greed is already on the list.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Envy gets my vote for being the worst. Most crimes that are committed are done over envy, if you think about it.

Sloth probably shouldn't be on there - who are you hurting by being lazy? Unless of course you're also consumed with envy, which will make you want stuff without working for it, leading you to do heinous things like steal, get welfare, etc.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I'm probably going to get it for this but I don't think that Lust should be on the list. If sex wasn't meant to be a good thing then why does it feel good? Besides to me "lust" is a want not an act. It's ok to want things.

I think the worst is probably envy. I know that contradict me saying it's ok to want things but envy is on another level. It's ok to want things but you should either be happy with what you have or work to get the things you want, not just sit around and be angry about not having them.

I don't think that any of these should really be considered "Deadly Sins" at one time or another we've all experienced every one of them. JMO.

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
Originally posted by watercolor23
How do I make this a poll:blushing:
dunno how...<----- Im slow

Color...don't worry now... u can't do it now...can't edit it and make it a poll.

In the beginning...during you're initial thread-starting post...on the bottom, check "Yes! post a poll"...below that, enter the <i>number</i> of options you want for your poll.
After you hit submit, you get another screen requesting you to identify the different options...

blueeyes76

I would have to say envy for the worst. Envy leads to jealousy and I don't always understand why some people are so jealous. Women for instance, why can't most women look at a beautiful woman and say "Wow, she's gorgeous" instead of "Oh, she has a big nose, weird chin, and her eyes are set too far apart"?

I don't really see why Gluttony is on there (I'm basing that on the movie Seven). If somebody wants to be fat, let them be fat, it isn't hurting me any!!

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
Originally posted by blueeyes76
just curious...what is your reasoning for thinking gluttony is counted for in greed?

gluttony: excess in eating or drinking

greed: An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth.

So, gluttony is an excessive desire to eat more than one needs.
Therefore, gluttony is simply a form of greed.

I find it strange that gluttony is on the list. The other deadly sins are pretty general. However, gluttony is very specific....as to eating... :confused:

Hope that explains my reasoning.

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
Originally posted by pixiegirl
I think the worst is probably envy. I know that contradict me saying it's ok to want things but envy is on another level. It's ok to want things but you should either be happy with what you have or work to get the things you want, not just sit around and be angry about not having them.

:confused:
Who said that envy prevents you from trying to get the things you want...?

Just because you want what others have... it doesn't mean you refuse to work to get what they have... you can be envious and not just sit around and be angry about it...

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Most Protestant groups that I've seen regard Pride as the worst. Pride as has been described, can lead to anything.

As far as 'what is the harm of' -- consider that with the exception of gluttony, all of these deadly sins are strictly in the mind. We tend to deal with actions, because we can see them, discipline and punish people accordingly, but the Bible demonstrates that it first occurs in the mind, whether it is James describing the manner in which someone is tempted, Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount telling everyone in his series of "You have heard --- but I tell you" statements, and in I John where hate is equated with murder - sin is in the mind. The word translated as 'repent' literally means "change the mind'.

It's all more Zen than people suspect.

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
Originally posted by blueeyes76
Women for instance, why can't most women look at a beautiful woman and say "Wow, she's gorgeous" instead of "Oh, she has a big nose, weird chin, and her eyes are set too far apart"

Two possible situations:
* The "beautiful woman" is not really beautiful in the eyes of the other woman.
* The "beautiful woman" is beautiful in the eyes of the other woman ...however, her pride won't let her acknowledge someone else's beauty.

Likewise, :wink:
why can't most men look at an attractive man and say "he's attractive" instead of "I don't look at men like that" :rolleyes:

I mean, we all notice things...and we all recognize when someone (male or female) is attractive. I don't expect people to announce everytime they cross someone they think is attractive... but... if someone asks you "Is he cute?" or "Is she cute?"... it seems appropriate that you answer honestly...and we all have opinions...even about the cuteness-factor of members of our own sex.
Just because you think someone is attractive does not mean you are attracted to them.
So...why do many men refuse to say "Yeah, he's attractive".... their pride won't let em. :duh:

Last edited:

blueeyes76

* The "beautiful woman" is beautiful in the eyes of the other woman ...however, her pride won't let her acknowledge someone else's beauty.

My point exactly AP, except IMO it is more jealousy than pride. Either way though, I don't get it.

Men are a whole different story, I don't think jealousy or pride have anything to do with it. I think it's because most (NOT ALL) men are homophobic.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by AnonymousPenguin

:confused:
Who said that envy prevents you from trying to get the things you want...?

Just because you want what others have... it doesn't mean you refuse to work to get what they have... you can be envious and not just sit around and be angry about it...

I never said envy prevents you from anything. IMO if you want something bad enough you should work until you can get it. If you don't work to reach your goals then you end up being envious of others.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
"Men are a whole different story, I don't think jealousy or pride have anything to do with it. I think it's because most (NOT ALL) men are homophobic."

I think this is only a small part of it -- I don't know of any cultural suspicion of one's sexual preference attached to when WOMEN make such a statement - neither men nor women attach any meaning to when a woman comments on another woman's attractiveness. But both men and women do this, to men, when they do it. IF the situation were in fact, reversed, you'd see the same phenomenon.

blueeyes76

Frank, I can only think of one time when I judged a guy for saying another guy was cute. It was my cousin and he just thought the New Kids On The Block were so hot. Well, him and his "partner" just bought a house together, so i was right about that one. :wink: